What the hell, Warwick????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell, Warwick????

Had some time to kill in another city because I needed to pick up my old man after a colonoscopy, hung out at the local GC.

*Tried* to pick up a new Warwick, one of the $799 - 999 ones iirc, and damn near sliced my hand open.

Checked the sides of the fretboard, EVERY fret was jagged, protruding, and sharp. On BOTH sides.

Is this the new normal?????

Small wonder you see all these bassists running around with their Ibby Gios or Yamaha whatever-170's... yeah they kinda suck, but they're absolutely non-hazardous to play. if new stuff for like a grand sucks so much more....
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: What the hell, Warwick????

That's actually fairly common for a guitar with wood that is adjusting to humidity differences. It doesn't even have to be that drastic of a change for certain types of wood to cause the frets to sprout, as it is commonly called.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I never experienced great amount of fret sprout, until I took a guitar to the desert and watched it happen. I think it just depends on the conditions when the frets were dressed as compared to any travel occurring since that point.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

It's that time of year. Last year several of the stores I do work for bought extra humidifiers to keep from paying me to shave the razors off the fretboards.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Im in SoCal

We don't really have seasons, per se...and stores are air conditioned year round anyway

Plus it was just the Warwick that was extra nasty. Few others had some unpleasant frets, but nothing like this.

I rather suspect "Made in China", not seasonal changes, to be the cause

Comment

I recently obtained a Framus guitar [ 6 string ] which are made by Warwick. No problems with the fretwork or any part of the guitar. It is a re-issue of an early Framus model and was made about five years ago. Maybe Warwick's QC has deteriorated or maybe that was a one off bomb. I wonder which.

- https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...amus-Hollywood -
            Last edited by GoldenVulture; 11-14-2018, 03:29 AM.
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              Im in SoCal

We don't really have seasons, per se...and stores are air conditioned year round anyway

Plus it was just the Warwick that was extra nasty. Few others had some unpleasant frets, but nothing like this.

I rather suspect "Made in China", not seasonal changes, to be the cause
              Most stores usually don't bother with too much fretwork on models that haven't been sold yet, that way people come back and get the guitar setup. Consider that your frets could have been fit to the guitar in a relatively humid location and that is likely what happened.

It's pretty tough to do what you described by accident, even after only a day on the job.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
              Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Could have been kept in a warehouse that was un-air conditioned for a time, and that certainly would cause it.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Could have been kept in a warehouse that was un-air conditioned for a time, and that certainly would cause it.
                  It was sold as new and had the literally worst case I've ever seen.... I don't think that much can be achieved quite that easily. Major manufacturing errors still required

And I've lived places with 30 below winters before, too, so it's not 24/365 climate controlled CA naivete

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    AC is probably worse than non-AC since it dries the air out more. The wood shrinks when it dries out.

Comment

That's more a of GC problem than a Warwick problem. They aren't regulating the humidity or maintaining their guitars. Hopefully, you didn't get hurt too bad.
                      The Gear:

1995 Gibson SG, 1991 Gibson Lucille, 2005 Fender Strat Custom, 1989 Ibanez Jem, And many more....

"It is true. I never practice guitar or take guitar lessons. From time to time I open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat."

-Wes Montgomery

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                        AC is probably worse than non-AC since it dries the air out more. The wood shrinks when it dries out.
                        Exactly. Southern Cal is relatively dry too.

Comment

I'm a serial neck groper.

If this were a common occurence, I'd have noticed a few thousand necks ago

Comment

I blame the shop in both possible situations: First if the put that guitar untested on the display. Second if they don't check regularly their goods for developing problem. Both is not acceptable.
                            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                            X