Guitar Center: Service hacks must be killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar Center: Service hacks must be killed

Most decent techs would rather work out of home and get paid at least double/hr the GC wage,,,,and for much less of a hassled environment.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      The last time I spent $$$ in a GC was 1998.

That's 20 years ago.
      Good their techs suck.. I walked in about a month ago. There is a beautiful 2018 LP std on clearance for $2199. Great price, right? Well I checked it out and it was great, except for what appeared to be some ink on the neck. Apparently after the guitar was in the store for months, the "techs" (NOT luthiers) still could not get the ink off without risking the finish. After I confirmed for myself that I could, I cut a deal out the door for $1930 + tax.. less than the pretax clearance price and less than typical used street price.

Oh and took me about 10 mins to get the ink off

Thank you GC
      Last edited by AniML; 04-14-2019, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Just wanted to point out that Seymour Duncan himself also removes pickup rings with an electric screwdriver. Just watch the video of him exchanging pickups. Just don't use the electric screwdriver to put the screws back in.

Comment

This thread.... wow.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My Guitar Center used to have a phenomenal tech, one that would even work on pedals for a pretty reasonable price. I thought he quit to either start his own business or find a place with a better reputation. Nope, turns out he got fired.

God bless Guitar Center.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              My Guitar Center used to have a phenomenal tech, one that would even work on pedals for a pretty reasonable price. I thought he quit to either start his own business or find a place with a better reputation. Nope, turns out he got fired.

God bless Guitar Center.
              I've seen a ton of people who customers loved get fired. Same reason most band members get canned. They're *******s.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

3 of 3 previous guitar purchases from guitarcenter.com were wrong for me. I had it, so i sent them a complaint. They actually did make the latest situation right, to some degree, after complaining, so that tells me corporate may be trying. Really, though, they need to educate their employees on what they’re listing online and working with. 2 of the 3 issues could have been solved if they just did a simple google search. They always seem to manage to screw up in someway. Unless i see the deal of the century (which will likely turn out to be listed wrong) i’m pretty much done w/ them.

Comment

The GC tech could well have been the customer
                  And he didn't want to tell you it was his work
                  So he put it off on GC
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It's an entry level Guitar Tech gig, and ALL of you sucked at being a luthier at some point in your life, and these people are fallible humans working for a pressure cooker corporate machine for **** pay.

So let's not get too outraged -yeah people made mistakes, I got screwed there once, they made it right and learned.

Does Guitar Center mostly suck? Yes. Did guitar Center kill the local stores you loved? Yes . Will Guitar Center die soon? Most Likely.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The GC tech could well have been the customer
                      And he didn't want to tell you it was his work
                      So he put it off on GC
                      I know the clown's face.... It wasn't him. Also - he is supremely confident in his abilities - to the point of swagger. If it was in my power, I'd have his hands cut off so he couldn't mess up any more guitars.
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        I know the clown's face.... It wasn't him. Also - he is supremely confident in his abilities - to the point of swagger. If it was in my power, I'd have his hands cut off so he couldn't mess up any more guitars.
                        If you do that then...

;>)/
                        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          Haha. That Guitar Center Swagger....

Comment

Rough crowd...

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              It's an entry level Guitar Tech gig, and ALL of you sucked at being a luthier at some point in your life, and these people are fallible humans working for a pressure cooker corporate machine for **** pay.
                              ^ word

I manage an auto parts store. A couple times a year, a customer will ask the newest guy on my staff to show him all of our carburetor floats. The customer then gets angry at the 19 year old for not knowing something about an item that was obsolete 10 years before the employee was born. Not to mention, he grew up driving a late 90's Civic or Camry, a car that was so bulletproof, he's never had to rebuild anything.

No, I'm not saying crappy work is acceptable, but that managing expectations is important.
                              Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 04-14-2019, 01:58 PM.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Mistakes are one thing, incompetence is quite another. Heart surgeons make mistakes on occasion, but stay employed. Incompetent ones get sued into oblivion, and deservedly so. Also, just because a job is entry level doesn't mean you get license to suck at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X