Fretless wonder redux: Taylor acoustic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretless wonder redux: Taylor acoustic

OK, I posted awhile back about an electric I reworked for a fingerpicking client who is into fretless wonder style frets. The guy has a number of $5000 Taylors I've worked on, and yesterday this one came in for a finish touch-up and to have the nut reglued. Thought I would take some pix and show how low the action is. Keep in mind, this is a normal Taylor (not a baritone) - but tuned down to C#. Not much string tension.... But stoopid low action.

I put a penny (.050 thick) under the treble string, and a nickle (.072 thick) under the bass string. There are no capos on the neck, and no glue or tape holding the coins between the strings and 12th and 13th frets. Gravity did not pull them out. The owner has the lightest touch of any of my clients. I can't play any of his guitars without making them buzz. He has the cleanest tones ever - I'll post a video one of these days, and you can judge for yourselves.

Anyway - here's the pix:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor Coin Challenge 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	5849545

Name:	Taylor Coin Challenge 003.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	5849546

Name:	Taylor Coin Challenge 006.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	5849547

Name:	Taylor Coin Challenge 004.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	5849548
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 11-20-2018, 12:22 AM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Fretless wonder redux: Taylor acoustic

Interesting.. I wonder how his hand looks while playing.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, here's that video I was talking about. Here my client is playing another Taylor at a music store here in town. It's a 12 fretter with slotted peghead, spruce top on ebony back and sides. It sounds great, but hasn't had the fret mods I've done. (if he ever buys it, I'll have to do it)...

Comment

Really awesome. Question abt. low frets though- don't large fret necks require a 'soft' touch, moreso than low frets that you can hammer down without a pitch change?
        Originally posted by King Buzzo
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Ok yeah 1.8mm action on an acoustic is pretty low

Still, your amazement is kinda amazing
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Really awesome. Question abt. low frets though- don't large fret necks require a 'soft' touch, moreso than low frets that you can hammer down without a pitch change?
            The taller the fret is, the easier it is to bend the string sharp with your fretting hand.
            Scott has a light touch because of some weird condition which makes his skin rather fragile and easy to peel off. It's also another reason for the low string tension.

Comment

Jeez... that's considerably lower than I use on electric. What gauge strings?

Thanks for posting the video. You weren't kidding about how clean he sounds.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Jeez... that's considerably lower than I use on electric. What gauge strings?
                I don't know. He's always experimenting with string gauges and tunings. Drives me nuts sometimes. He keeps dicking with his guitars seeking perfection (which he's never found in 40 years).

Thanks for posting the video. You weren't kidding about how clean he sounds.
                I've only had one other client who played with such a clean, soft touch. He's currently up for a jazz Grammy, I think. Ever hear of Kevin Kastning? Lives in Boston now, I think. Plays some wild ass multi-string carbon fiber acoustics made in Ireland...

Comment

Working...
                X