• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NAD: Marshall JVM 410h

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
    Love my 210H.
    OD Orange is heavily.
    The overdrive sounds like an Orange overdrive?

I have an Orange AD-140 TC, and it has two channels.
    They sound almost the same, and even the supposed overdrive channel is pretty mild. Like "low" on a JCM-800.
    I guess some of their later amps (the "Dark" series?) were more overdrive monsters.
    I love my Orange, but I don't think of it as having a particular O.D. sound...

Now if you were saying the Orange is "heavy", well that I have experienced. The 4x12 is 104 lbs.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
      The overdrive sounds like an Orange overdrive?

I have an Orange AD-140 TC, and it has two channels.
      They sound almost the same, and even the supposed overdrive channel is pretty mild. Like "low" on a JCM-800.
      I guess some of their later amps (the "Dark" series?) were more overdrive monsters.
      I love my Orange, but I don't think of it as having a particular O.D. sound...

Now if you were saying the Orange is "heavy", well that I have experienced. The 4x12 is 104 lbs.
      No...orange is a color mode on the JVM.

I've never played an Orange amp that I've liked.
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Yep: each channel has green/orange/red settings, depending on the number of gain stages currently active. It has nothing to do with Orange amps.

Comment

Originally posted by blind1 View Post
          I love this amp and ended up modding it a bit.

My amp tech did the following mods on the amp: negative feedback mod, plexi cap mod, C83 mod, and added a choke. The result: absolute tonal bliss. The amp was already great.. now it is just phenomenal. The feeling and tone and response are just amazing. If you are considering this amp or own it already, I would highly consider at least these mods and possibly more depending on your tastes.
          Did you get the schematics from a specific source? Those all sound like mods I'd prefer to do on my next JVM.

Comment

Originally posted by dr0 View Post
            Yep. I just got rid of my PPC412 and went to the PPC212.

Don't get me wrong, the 412 is an AMAZING 4x12 cab and I wouldn't hesitate to to own another one, but the 2x12 is pretty fearsome sounding in itself, it's half the weight, and when it's mic'd up the difference in sound going to the PA isn't all that much. I just got tired of hauling around a cab that heavy in a Honda Civic.

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post

Don't get me wrong, the 412 is an AMAZING 4x12 cab and I wouldn't hesitate to to own another one, but the 2x12 is pretty fearsome sounding in itself, it's half the weight, and when it's mic'd up the difference in sound going to the PA isn't all that much. I just got tired of hauling around a cab that heavy in a Honda Civic.
              I’m a big fan of the 2x12 as well. I’ve never had the Orange cab but I’ve got 3 2x12 and got rid of my 4x12 and haven’t had a single regret.

Comment

I love this amp and ended up modding it a bit.

My amp tech did the following mods on the amp: negative feedback mod, plexi cap mod, C83 mod, and added a choke. The result: absolute tonal bliss. The amp was already great.. now it is just phenomenal. The feeling and tone and response are just amazing. If you are considering this amp or own it already, I would highly consider at least these mods and possibly more depending on your tastes.
                Yeah, do you have a link to the mods?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Did you get the schematics from a specific source? Those all sound like mods I'd prefer to do on my next JVM.
                  I had my local amp tech do the work for me. I'm not sure what his source for schematics was. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, so if any of you guys are nearby and need a recommendation for a tech please PM me and I'll gladly share his info. See below for link to the mods.

Originally posted by SavageRiffer View Post
                  The JVM seems to go under the radar these days with all the awesome amps out on the market. However, it's a remarkable amp with exceptional tone. The boutique snobs may scoff at it, but the JVM never, ever fails to deliver awesome tone. If the snobs didn't know it was a JVM you're playing through, they'd shower you with praise. Considering that it's a very loud Marshall, it's actually not bad at all for low volume stuff - not quite as good as Friedman or Diezel master volumes, but better than any other Marshall. I don't think that you'll need anything more than the stock foot controller. If you get on one of the medium gain modes, you can ride your guitar volume for an array of clean to distorted tones. The modes are quite unique, and you'd figure they would all sound similar, but not only do they have their own unique tone, some of them have different dynamics which makes them feel more like the amps they represent. If you start itching for a Satch JVM, don't get too excited because it's quite good and a little improvement on the JVM, but there is some rawness to the JVM that I really like to retain a times. Cool score man.
                  Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Yeah, do you have a link to the mods?
                  Here is a pretty comprehensive list of JVM mods and how to do them. I am comfortable soldering in my guitars for pickups or whatever, but not with PCBs on my amplifiers so I paid a pro to mod it. He was familiar with all the mods I requested and set the bias as well.

Great news!!! The JVM Forum is back in action thanks to the efforts of the moderator Andy. For any modding information please go to the Modding Bible section of the forum. You'll need to register to get there but it's definitely worth it. --------------- Well it’s been some months since the...

I use an Orange 2x12 for practicing at home and playing out. I rehearse with an Orange 1x12. I love these cabs. The 2x12 has so much beefiness and sweetness it's hard to even put into words how amazing that cab is. The 1x12 is a different beast - still sweet, but even more punchier and it is much brighter. I can't say enough good things about the Orange cabs and my JVM together. I haven't played an Orange 4x12 but just the thought of the weight turns me off to it.
                  ROCK ON.

Comment

I had my local amp tech do the work for me. I'm not sure what his source for schematics was. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, so if any of you guys are nearby and need a recommendation for a tech please PM me and I'll gladly share his info. See below for link to the mods.

Here is a pretty comprehensive list of JVM mods and how to do them. I am comfortable soldering in my guitars for pickups or whatever, but not with PCBs on my amplifiers so I paid a pro to mod it. He was familiar with all the mods I requested and set the bias as well.

Great news!!! The JVM Forum is back in action thanks to the efforts of the moderator Andy. For any modding information please go to the Modding Bible section of the forum. You'll need to register to get there but it's definitely worth it. --------------- Well it’s been some months since the...

I use an Orange 2x12 for practicing at home and playing out. I rehearse with an Orange 1x12. I love these cabs. The 2x12 has so much beefiness and sweetness it's hard to even put into words how amazing that cab is. The 1x12 is a different beast - still sweet, but even more punchier and it is much brighter. I can't say enough good things about the Orange cabs and my JVM together. I haven't played an Orange 4x12 but just the thought of the weight turns me off to it.
                    Thanks very much for that list of mods! I really appreciate it.

I'm in SoCal. I know of a local tech that can service the amp as stock but he seemed a bit quizzical when I asked him if he could mod the amp. I'm close enough to LA that I could probably find someone there to do it well if I provided them with the information.

As I said I had the 4x12 for about 18 months... incredible cab but it was too much firepower for most gigs, and as we've mentioned it's a heavy, heavy cab. Having a furniture dolly to move it was probably the best $20 I spent on my live gear in a long time.

What finally sold me on the 2x12 was hearing a local stoner rock band that had a huge, thick, chewy sound and they all had Orange 2x12s miced up well and I thought 'if they can get that sound with a 2x12, then I don't need my 4x12' and I made the switch. Took me a bit to find one in black though.

At the same time... a 4x12 like that is like having a muscle car. It's just so much power and it feels awesome when you open it up.

Comment

It’s been a year to the day since I posted in this thread... must be the right time of year for JVM GAS.

Everyone still happy with theirs? How does Clean Green sound with OD pedals? How does Clean Amber and Crunch Green sound with a fuzz and/or Vibe?

What speakers are you all using with yours?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Still happy with mine! Mine is a combo, and whilst I want to try to switch out the Vintage 30 at some point (there is that typical mid-honk that I find to be a bit too much), but is still ostensibly a Vintage 30 and Heritage Greenback (the wattage ratings are slightly higher, and nobody seems to know if they are OEM speakers or just relabelled. Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions, since the two-channel version lacks most of the channels you ask for, and it seems like we occupy rather different areas of effectdom. That said, you don't really need OD pedals with the JVM, since you have several distorted channels and even two switchable master volumes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                          Still happy with mine! Mine is a combo, and whilst I want to try to switch out the Vintage 30 at some point (there is that typical mid-honk that I find to be a bit too much), but is still ostensibly a Vintage 30 and Heritage Greenback (the wattage ratings are slightly higher, and nobody seems to know if they are OEM speakers or just relabelled. Unfortunately I can't answer any of your other questions, since the two-channel version lacks most of the channels you ask for, and it seems like we occupy rather different areas of effectdom. That said, you don't really need OD pedals with the JVM, since you have several distorted channels and even two switchable master volumes.
                          Do you use the G-System with it? Between the MIDI switching of the JVM, Effect Loops of the G-System and on board effects, it seems like a compact and powerful setup. Have you had any issues with the G-System and JVM from a noise standpoint?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Noise has been fine. A lot of people complain about the noise in the JVM, but my experience has been that this is primarily a problem for bedroom players, and that the problem goes away once you play with actual people.

I will say, though, that setting the G-System up properly with the JVM is a pain. The one problem I have with the JVM is the design of the parallell fx loop: it doesn't do 100% serial no matter what. This design was replaced with a series loop on the Satriani, and it is possible to have the loop on normal JVMs to work like that as well. There is another series loop on the JVM, which is intended primarily for choosing between different preamps. For that reason, the level is well above "line level", and will easily cause clipping with the G-System. I use a Morley effects-level corrector to fix the thing. Oh, and I also have to run a buffer before the G-System to avoid an unfortunate impedance mismatch. (This, for the record, will not be a problem with the last generation of G-Systems, where improved buffers were added to the unit itself.)

So there are a couple of things involved. The good thing is that once everything is up and running it does everything I need it to do, and sounds excellent while doing it. I would actually argue that this is a far easier rig to troubleshoot than most pedal rigs, especially ones that involve the fx loop.

Comment

I see, thanks! So a Satriani and iB modified G-System solves all the issues that one has when just plugging a standard G-System into a stock JVM. Alternatively, knowing how to deal with audio issues with correct levels, buffers, etc. works as well.

Can you clarify above “choosing different Preamps”? You mean to combine with additional preamps or to use with additional power amps?
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                                I see, thanks! So a Satriani and iB modified G-System solves all the issues that one has when just plugging a standard G-System into a stock JVM. Alternatively, knowing how to deal with audio issues with correct levels, buffers, etc. works as well.

Can you clarify above “choosing different Preamps”? You mean to combine with additional preamps or to use with additional power amps?
                                As far as I can tell, a Satriani and an iB-modified G-System should work very easily together, although I cannot say that I have ever tried. A ground loop breaker might still be needed, but probably no more than in any other rig.

Regarding the series loop, I am sure I've read somewhere that Marshall intended it to be used primarily for connecting different preamps to the power amp, and that they therefore put as few components that might colour the sound into it as possible. It will work fine for sending the preamp signal to other power amps, or to have a switcher choose between different preamps. It will, of course, also work for anything else, given that it can handle the signal level.

Comment

Working...
                                X