• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Vivian Campbell's Dio tone from 1984 - which pickups

Same here....[emoji53]

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      What model Jackson is that...pretty sharp!!
      Thanks. It's a Jackson JS Dinky JS32Q DKA (Poplar, Rosewood, Transparent Black).

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      I'd love to view this vid, but it's been removed or blocked.
      Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
      I didn't get to see it either so I figured Id try to download it later on.
      Here's why:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Blocked.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	5812514
      I actually never noticed that it was blocked i.e. because it was uploaded as "Unlisted" I can still view on my YouTube channel but only if I'm logged in to my YouTube account.

But I am SURE I can make another plan!!! Watch this space!!!

(Given that it was uploaded as "Unlisted" I'm pretty sure that this was not an automatic YouTube block just by the way i.e. more like "sour grapes" here).

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
        Thanks. It's a Jackson JS Dinky JS32Q DKA (Poplar, Rosewood, Transparent Black).

Here's why:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]95140[/ATTACH]
        I actually never noticed that it was blocked i.e. because it was uploaded as "Unlisted" I can still view on my YouTube channel but only if I'm logged in to my YouTube account.

But I am SURE I can make another plan!!! Watch this space!!!

(Given that it was uploaded as "Unlisted" I'm pretty sure that this was not an automatic YouTube block just by the way i.e. more like "sour grapes" here).
        All good - snagged the download link. Many thanks!

Comment

Take 2:

Last edited by dpaterson; 01-06-2019, 03:12 PM.

Comment

That worked . I love that Gary Moore inspired lick he shows at around 23:00 , it`s pretty basic but to do it fast and clean is not so basic . FWIW Gary was a huge influence on Viv , probably one of the reasons I like Vivs playing so much
            When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Hello.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed it (sure hope you did anyway).

Yeh. He makes everything look "basic" (easy). Until you try it that is!!! (That goes for me anyway!!! LOL!!!).

I do agree (to some this statement will come as a surprise!!! LOL!!!) that a lot of his tone does indeed come from his technique, experience, dexterity, and the little tricks that he employs (pretty evident when he discusses some of the Dio stuff). (Note I said "a lot of his tone" and not "all of his tone" i.e. still need a hotrodded superstrat with an Invader to complete the tone profile!!! LOL!!!).

Of all: I battle with his vibrato technique (which he uses liberally) and spread (both of which require finger strength and a decent stretch) which is odd maybe given that I got no issues with most of the other stuff. This being said: guess who is back to practicing scales (after digging this video up again)!!! LOL!!!

I know that Gary Moore was a big influence (he has mentioned this in several videos). I'm figuring there are several reasons why (not least of which being the fact that they're both Irish and, of course, Thin Lizzy had been around for quite a while). Pretty impressed with his theory knowledge too (I can play scales but don't ask me what they are!!! LOL!!!). Love it when it says "a guitar is one of the easiest instruments to play because ...". Yeh right!!! LOL!!!

I'm a huge fan of a certain era of Gary Moore i.e. around 1984 (go figure!!!). Have a live concert on VHS called "Emerald Isles - Live In Ireland" (1984). The sheer energy of the concert (and the man)!!! Not to mention the political connotations of some of the songs (the songs had meaning). Also have one or the other "Live at Montreux" DVD somewhere (blues). Good stuff.

Oh here it is (some kind person has uploaded to YouTube!!!):

"From Dublin let's show 'em... We'll be rocking... To the greatest guitar play this country's ever produced..."!!! LOL!!!

https://youtu.be/moRlMDDqtXo?t=3776

Here's the full concert (sure brings back good memories and oh how the world has changed since then) (and in just thinking I'm pretty sure these red spandex or red leather outfits have got something to do with tone!!! LOL!!!):

Back to the present:

Here's my other pride and joy (below). I post this pic. not to show off my gear but because I think I figured out why the stock Jackson neck pickup was out of phase with the Invader. Take a good look at the Jackson stock pickups and their orientation!!! These things, I think, are purpose built to be in pairs i.e. the two wire wiring being kept standard but actually going to different places inside the pickups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00713.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	5812521

Absolutely beautiful guitar this too (this my "resonant" guitar).

It's a Jackson Dinky JS32 DKA-M (Basswood, in spite of Jackson's incorrect spec. on their website, Maple, Snow White) with Jackson JE10 humbuckers (high output ceramics and pickup model specific to this model of guitar from what I've been able to gather with all my research). My next guitar I reckon: a black one just like this white one. Cannot help but wonder what Invaders would sound like in this model!!! LOL!!!
              Last edited by dpaterson; 01-07-2019, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Done!!!

And you wanna hear the best news of all??? Once I'd completed the setup (which included everything from neck relief to intonation to pickup height and whatever else): I plugged in, sat down, and actually played (jammed) for almost two hours solid without stopping to tweak tone even once!!! Now there's a flipping milestone for me if there ever was one!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95134[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95135[/ATTACH]
                I am really glad to hear that! Enjoy!!

Comment

Thank you Dave. Your interest shown is really very much appreciated.

Yeh. This guitar is sounding so great now that I really do think it’s a shame to have done only half the job. Have hovered over several shopping cart “Pay now” buttons in the last few hours for a neck Invader (had cancelled my original order), ORIGINAL FR, new matching pickup rings, black pickup height adjustment screws, new “virgin” three way selector switch, (you get the picture) but have managed to NOT “pull the trigger” as YET!!! LOL!!!

But I must say that I am SOOO impressed with the Invader. It is the first time ever that with this guitar I have a rounded and full frequency spectrum (actually almost flat and tapers off smoothly from about 10kHz to 20kHz or so) i.e. I’ve always had big peaks at the bottom end and top end and a serious trough in the middle. The Invader, at least in this guitar, definitely conforms to its specs. given when analysed. And the bonus here is that I can EQ with my Boss GE-7, starting out flat, to my heart’s content. I can even engage my Boss SD-1 without wanting to run screaming into traffic (and sure does get me a nice Viv. tone with my CODE amps. now too).
                  Last edited by dpaterson; 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

To my ears since hearing it on vinyl and cassette back in the 80's, when it was fresh, sounds like a Gibson LP Standard with a Marshall JCM800 (plexi?) and the track was further tweaked using either Triton board EQ or some Pultec EQ ... then the typical mastering magic. And the usual source being Viv's fingas.
                    Amps: EVH 5150 iii & old Laney cabs with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks. Guitars: 2014 Jackson USA RR1, 2010 Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1986 Charvel San Dimas, Warmoth Lefty Strats w/ Callaham bridge. Pedals: Strymon, Dunlop/MXR, ISP...

Comment

Yeh. Hands up those that cringed when they saw THIS thread appear in the main index!!! LOL!! "Oh no. Here we go again."!!! LOL!!!

Figured I just keep "all things Campbell" in one spot.

Here's (below) a link to the latest Guitar Interactive Magazine. Interview with Vivian and Phil Cullen. More important is the video below though i.e. it's a video contained within the Guitar Interactive Magazine article. Good interview with Mr. Campbell. See he now has a signature Gibson. Plays pretty much the whole of Holy Diver for the interviewer. Good stuff. Amazing tone. What can I say.

https://edition.pagesuite-profession...0-6ec86be0051c

Video:

Seems like a nice dude. Sure do wish he'd stop ignoring my fu*king messages though (if he's getting them that is which I actually doubt).

Comment

IT LIVES!!!!!!
                        Haha!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X