Vivian Campbell's Dio tone from 1984 - which pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vivian Campbell's Dio tone from 1984 - which pickups

Gunna jump in here quick just to add my $0.02 on a couple points, since they struck a chord with me...

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
    In most all cases I'd agree with you by saying "it could be me" (given that I'm OBVIOUSLY obsessive about most things). But not in this case I don't think. I've tried the EQ route with pedals and amps. but it's almost as if with my black Jackson and the Blaze I'm trying to EQ a range of frequencies that just don't exist or are not there to begin with (hope that makes sense). I guess it's fair to note also that I have an issue with EQ'ing my own recordings.
    I think what was meant by 'it could be you' comes down more to the actual playing and coping the style, it goes a LONG way into the tone search. I could plug into EVH's rig and play EVH's riffs...it wouldn't quite be EVH.

No offense to anyone (and I know some will laugh at me) but to me it's cheating i.e. my live sound is what counts to me and what I must sound like on a recording (one take) and not what magic or trickery I can apply in a mix (and one of the reasons why I still mic. up my amps. as opposed to going digital). So I guess there's much at play here.
    -And I am one of the ones laughing at you, and looks like you're throwing shade at your guitar idol too. It simply doesn't work that way. Not only SHOULD your live and recorded sound be a bit different (not just due to the obvious mic'ing portion, but to make everything gel together in different environments...), but it is damn near impossible to capture.

-One take is also laughable...not even the Guitar Gods let that happen (cause there's always something)

-I'll agree with you on having to rely on crutch's when recording, but are you saying you wouldn't cut some 350hz and boost some 3k to get your guitar to sit better in a mix and make the whole SONG sound better? I can guarantee you there was EQ added in post to these on multiple sources. The sound coming out of the cab would have had more low end than this.

-Hearing everything in context is different from the isolated tone as well, so it just makes things that much harder

I don't know if this is going to shed any light on the subject but take a look at the graphic below. It's a recording that I made on Friday (after feeling as though I was going nuts) of all three guitars. All I did was put them in a line, plug one in at a time, and tried as best I could to just strum them in a consistent fashion. What jumps out to me is the first section.
    No it won't, because staring at a waveform is a waste of time. Let's HEAR what you got so far?

With that said, I definitely hear a bit of a 'honk' in the tone, on the higher side of the mids. a BF-2 with all knobs on 0 with manual at 10 does something similiar, but an EQ in the front end could do it as well. I could get close to this with an OD>EQ>Jcm800 for sure. Or just about any marshall-y amp, boosted, with a larger, more surgical EQ in the loop to really dial it in.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Dudes!!!

Thanks for the posts and the input.

Dunno where to start.

Reverse order then???

I'm not trying to record "studio like" stuff (and as a matter of fact actually recording anything wasn't even on the cards UNTIL, unfortunately, I discovered this thing called a DAW and soon after that I discovered these things called PLUG-INS and, well, it was pretty much downhill from there!!! LOL!!!). Point I'm making (all jokes aside now) is that it's my live sound that counts. But if I AM going to record it then I want it to sound exactly the same. When you're (me, you, or Vivian, or anybody else) performing live: you don't have the privilege of being able to record different takes i.e. "one take make or break" (mistakes, improvisation, and all). So that's kinda where I'm coming from. And to me: there's something "special" about a live concert and live sound to the extent where (and I reckon you'll laugh at this too BUT it works for me!!! LOL!!!): I have various "crowd tracks" that I blend in with most of the (few) recordings I do make!!! LOL!!! If nothing else it let's ME feel like I'm performing on a huge stage (something which, being realistic, will probably never happen). And it adds a certain ambience to the sound. Give me a choice between buying a studio album and a live album: hands down the live album wins every time. It's just me is all. And BY THE WAY: DIO HIMSELF actually did this very thing on the song "King Of Rock And Roll" i.e. studio recording but the crowd was added!!! So I don't feel TOO bad!!! LOL!!! And I have to say also that I've got it down pretty good in the sense that recorded guitar tracks are not processed in any way in a mix OTHER than what the mastering software (Lurssen, T-RackS 5, or Ozone 8 Advanced depending on my mood at the time) does to them after the fact. Must admit I'm kinda proud of that.

But yeh: I've been working on some little stuff today (hopefully finish tomorrow) so that you can HEAR where I'm at thus far. But let me say this: I am PRETTY close to that sound (with my one guitar) ("that sound" being the sound on the video posted in the first post on the thread for those that have not watched it). Really close. I think my biggest concern has been that if anything happens to that particular guitar then there goes my sound too and, well, not the mention the fact that there's two guitars now sitting idle (one cost a LOT of $$$). And I honestly do believe that BECAUSE I'm so close with the one guitar: the only factors coming into play are the pickups in the other two. But hey: if I'm wrong and these pickups don't solve the problem you can be sure I'll be right back here asking for more advice!!! LOL!!!

Anyways. I really do appreciate all of the feedback. It's obvious that some have not read the entire thread (and frankly I don't blame ya i.e. I know my LONG and sometimes inane posts don't go down too well with many people!!! LOL!!!). So instead of posting yet another LONG and inane post let me leave ya to ponder this (the below pics.) i.e they say "a picture paints a thousand words". For the record: just today I put my SM57's back i.e. the mics. in the one pic. are Sony Professional vocal mics. that I had lying around and was just testing at the time (same specs. as the SM58). And yeh (mentioned before): many people scoff at the CODE range. Personal opinion and based on experience: they need to spend more time with them (it's taken me around eighteen months to dial these things in but I guess you have to ask yourself if it's worth the hassle of course i.e. could accomplish the same thing in an hour with a JCM800 and an EQ pedal!!! LOL!!!). Oh and I do have an SD-1 and GE-7 both put after a MXR Custom Comp. and before the split (one direct to left amp. and the other via a DD-7 to the right amp.). Yeh: I did INDEED look around for Vivian's "Rig Rundown"!!! LOL!!! Matter of fact: I'm one up on him i.e. on the Holy Diver album the guitar part was delayed AFTER the fact. I get it "going in"!!! LOL!!! (OK: probably he went through some fancy piece of studio rack equipment at the time of recording but still: I'm quite chuffed that I've been able to mimic that exact effect without using any software trickery and only a 'lil 'ol delay pedal connected up in an odd way).

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00508Small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	5810581

Name:	Marshall CODE50 Recording Setup.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	5810582

Regards,

Dale.
      Last edited by dpaterson; 11-26-2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Alright. F**k!!! I wasn't gonna post this. But if nothing else it should give you an idea as to where this is going!!! LOL!!!

The video was ACTUALLY made (in December 2017) to demonstrate how to control and synch. DMX lighting via MIDI from within my DAW and NOT to demonstrate my (then) guitar playing (which has improved somewhat since then thankfully) (hell: I can now ALMOST play the solo like Viv!!! LOL!!!). Anyway. If nothing else: anybody that's watched enough Dio concerts will "get it" (the influences) I hope (particularly in the last few seconds or so i.e. working on those L-O-N-G drawn out guitar solos of Vivian's in the good 'ol days).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVyhsLs5YQ

Tell you one thing: even that sound (just had it on headphones) was pretty darn close (in hindsight)!!! LOL!!! Sounds pretty "woody" to me!!! But I'm doing much better now i.e. more clarity and "bite". It was also made before I had any overdrive or EQ or delays or anything (that was just two CODE25's micd. up straight) (with a MIDI backing track of course).

Of course this (below) autoplays next (on my YouTube thingy anyway) (enough to make you wanna throw the whole lot away!!! LOL!!!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO53tkuvtpg

Regards,

Dale.
        Last edited by dpaterson; 11-26-2018, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna actually suggest a Duncan Detonator. It is basically a Distortion w/ Invader Caps. It may be the bridge between the Distortion and the Invader you are looking for.

FYI - My go to Dio guitar would absolutely be my 79 LP with a Distortion....
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Viv is on my list for tone cloning.

I'll let ya know when I get around to it.

Also keep in mind, like someone mentioned, the sound you hear on the albums has been processed through studio gear.

I don't have my archives available, but I seem to recall a picture of early DIO Viv with a black Les Paul and the pickups had
            2 flat "blades" in each... like a DiMarzio X2N.

Super Distortions seemed to play a role as well back then...

Comment

Here's the pic:

Name:	1269283880_1695413f76.jpg
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	5810584

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Here's the pic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94149[/ATTACH]
                Pickups look really low in the rings there, almost below fretboard level.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Pickups look really low in the rings there, almost below fretboard level.
                  +1

If that's how he sets them up, that's surely a contributing factor to his even mid-rangey tone.
                  "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                  Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Good morning all. And thanks, once again, for the input.

Aceman:

I looked for the Detonator on SD's website but nothing. Only place it comes up is at Musicians Friend. Was hoping to check out the tone guide (whatever it's called i.e. that little EQ graphic).

There is another concert that I have on DVD (also taken from VHS) i.e. Live in Holland in 1983 which is BEFORE the 1984 "Special From The Spectrum" and Vivian/Charvel strat. era it would seem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTlzbYm778. Is that the (type of) guitar you're talking about??? And here's where he plays (arguably) one of the finest guitar solos ever (well: it's got tone and character anyway i.e. not necessarily "the best"): https://youtu.be/uTJeSBOb5cQ?t=2201 (same concert). You can hear that "full bodied" tone (not "woody" or "jangly" enough for my liking but he WAS darn good).

LLL, beaubrummels, and Jacew:

I think the pics. are from the same era (as above)???

Pickup heights!!! Yeh!!! Surprised this has not come up on this thread!!! But nah. That ain't the problem. Believe me: I spent WEEKS adjusting those Blaze pickups up and down. Never found that "sweet spot" that everybody talks about (matter of fact there's an old thread of mine lurking around here somewhere related to this). Adjusted anywhere between 1.6mm (Jackson's spec.) right down to 6mm (apparently around the "sweet spot" for a Kramer Nightswan II) and somewhere inbetween (SD staff said to try about 5mm). Nothing. Not my desired tone. All I did was lose output and highs and certainly gained no mids. With the Jacksons (especially the black one): I'm sure darn hoping that I'm not going to have an issue with fitting that Dimarzio or an Invader i.e. the pickups are already almost in the body on that guitar (they're adjusted to Jackon's 1.6mm spec.). This changed when I fitted an original FR with additional springs, 10/46 strings, and had to change neck relief and action as a result (before this they were way out of the body). I could be in for a big surprise!!!

And yeh this is processed: https://soundcloud.com/user-29051371...d-up-and-shout. Not sure which guitar was used in the studio for the album. And although I love the album to death: not REALLY the sound I'm after (yeh I know: I'm "full of it"!!! LOL!!!).

For everyone:

There's another little known Dio concert i.e. Live In Japan 1985: https://youtu.be/jJ1rSdSRC74?t=10. Vivian with YET ANOTHER guitar (different Charvel). ("King Of Rock And Roll" being probably my second favorite Dio song). Just listen the pinch harmonics that fly out!!! But anyway: a lot of "growl" from that guitar (a type of "woody, jangly, wiry, growl"). Just listen to this solo: https://youtu.be/jJ1rSdSRC74?t=316!!! Now here's YET ANOTHER guitar: https://youtu.be/jJ1rSdSRC74?t=583. I am indeed toying with the idea of asking Buddy to make me one to those specs i.e. ONE (bridge) pickup only, no switch, no tone control, no "fluff", just a pure AXE!!! (You may as well watch the solo for the song too i.e. absolutely awesome). Also: I've become a "heavy" player (don't judge me by my video above please) and on the few occasions I take the Blaze out of its case I often find myself digging in to the middle pickup (unless it's lowered flush with the body). Another good reason to have a "no frills" guitar (never used a neck pickup in my life other than for some short Gary Moore blues type stunts so not bothered about a neck pickup).

On a sidenote and in passing: I've been listening to Dio just about DAILY (as noted earlier on the thread) since 1984. And I wanna tell ya: it doesn't matter HOW many times I listen (watch) I STILL get goosebumps EVERY SINGLE TIME (even as I sit here and post these links)!!!

I have a Vivian Campbell Tutor DVD ("Lead Masterclass"). He talks about his days with Dio and notes that it was one of the loudest bands he'd every played with and the only way to be heard was to liberally use pinch harmonics. By the time of his making this DVD though he'd left Dio and was playing BC Rich guitars (never actually seen him play them live on anything I've watched anyway). Anyway. Good DVD I guess. He talks generally about his style but nothing specific about the songs or anything like that. Odd thing to me is: there are SO many tutor videos of "Stand Up And Shout" but they either stop short of the solo or the solo is a shadow of its former self!!! Me: I've had to sit through hours and hours (weeks and months if the truth be told) of practicing it with slowed down audio and video (and I'm still not quite there i.e. he was a master in my eyes) (with Dio that is). It's something I'll never understand i.e. as you all probably know he berated himself about his work with Dio. It's (in my opinion) his best work. I did, however, read that in recent interviews he's realised that actually it (he) was PRETTY darn good at the time!!! LOL!!!

(Post edited by myself and some stuff deleted i.e. too off topic and maybe a bit controversial).

Regards,

Dale.

P.S.

For some fun has anybody seen this lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG5uRzpWpt4. I find it absolutely AMAZING. That drummer KILLS man i.e. what a "machine". And of course there is Ms. White-Gluz that certainly adds color to the mix!!! LOL!!! And those dudes playing those Jackson guitars??? Really nice sound (to me). And it's a neat party trick i.e. put the audio on and ask somebody to see how many of the different voices they actually recognise.
                    Last edited by dpaterson; 11-27-2018, 02:46 AM.

Comment

As far I can see in that SoundForge screenshot (at this level of zoom) the dynamics look fairly similar on the three guitars. The White Jackson being louder. The Black Jackson is not that compressed. It just has less volume.

I wish you good luck for your holy grail.
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

"On that first Dio record I was using an unmodified JCM800 and a distortion box."
                        Go to 1:03 in this video: https://youtu.be/DBPHQikxzEY

I saw your comment to the guy with the Vox and the Super Distortion... it seems like the easiest thing to do after all this frustrating searching would be to buy a DiMarzio Super Distortion and try some distortion boxes. What was common in 1984? I really have no clue, but I'll make an uneducated guess of: Boss DS-1 like Satriani used?

I know that Phil Collen of Def Leppard says that he's always used Super Distortion since he discovered it as his perfect pickup in the 1970s or early 80s. He also endorses/says he uses the Super3... which is irrelevant since he is not Vivian Campbell!
                        I think the theme here is tons of output... from a Super Distortion boosted with a Distortion pedal.
                        If you don't have a DS-1 or a distortion box on hand, maybe try a overdrive with the drive up kind of high and see if it gets you in the ballpark?

In 1984 was everyone using the same speakers with their JCM800s and Marshall cabs? Or were some guys using Vintage 30s and some guys using Greenbacks?
                        The speaker is the most forgotten link in the chain of tone. It seems like we all rush to pickup or amp changes and forget the speaker's coloration...
                        (I don't have enough experience with speakers to say what I think he is using!), but I suspect that your missing link just might be output level.
                        Last edited by StratMatt77; 11-27-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StratMatt77 View Post
                          "On that first Dio record I was using an unmodified JCM800 and a distortion box."

I saw your comment to the guy with the Vox and the Super Distortion... it seems like the easiest thing to do after all this frustrating searching would be to buy a DiMarzio Super Distortion and try some distortion boxes. What was common in 1984? I really have no clue, but I'll make an uneducated guess of: Boss DS-1 like Satriani used?

I know that Phil Collen of Def Leppard says that he's always used Super Distortion since he discovered it as his perfect pickup in the 1970s or early 80s. He also endorses/says he uses the Super3... which is irrelevant since he is not Vivian Campbell!
                          I think the theme here is tons of output... from a Super Distortion boosted with a Distortion pedal.
                          If you don't have a DS-1 or a distortion box on hand, maybe try a overdrive with the drive up kind of high and see if it gets you in the ballpark?

In 1984 was everyone using the same speakers with their JCM800s and Marshall cabs? Or were some guys using Vintage 30s and some guys using Greenbacks?
                          The speaker is the most forgotten link in the chain of tone. It seems like we all rush to pickup or amp changes and forget the speaker's coloration...
                          (I don't have enough experience with speakers to say what I think he is using!), but I suspect that your missing link just might be output level.
                          In 1984, Marshall cabs floating around contained a bizzare assortment of Greenbacks, g12-65, g12-80, M70, etc.

Possibly also K85 and H30, not sure if they were sold/offered stock though

V30 (1986)...did NOT exist yet. NEITHER did the T75 (1985).

Yup yup kids, nearly ~ALL~ your fave stuff was recorded pre-V30, pre-T75.
                          Last edited by Adieu; 11-27-2018, 06:27 AM.
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Hello everyone.

I just wanna tell you guys (everyone) that you're great. Really. And I cannot thank everyone enough for their input and comments (and for just giving a sh*t)!!! Thank you.

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                            As far I can see in that SoundForge screenshot (at this level of zoom) the dynamics look fairly similar on the three guitars. The White Jackson being louder. The Black Jackson is not that compressed. It just has less volume.

I wish you good luck for your holy grail.
                            Ahhh... You recognise SoundForge Pro??? LOL!!! Yeh. It's my "go to" for everything. Been using it for YEARS and years and years. But that's what's so strange. Of the three guitars the white Jackson is SUPPOSED to have the weakest pickups. This I base on the fact that I have to increase distortion settings quite a bit with it. With the other two (and particularly the black Jackson): I have to dial everything back otherwise it's just "too much" (and with the black Jackson things become REALLY "out of hand" if you don't dial things back). Who knows. Maybe I just strummed harder on the white Jackson when recording those clips. I don't think I did but anything is possible. For the record: those two Jackson's were bought about ten months apart and one would have expected them to have the same pickups etc. but not so (and to this end I managed to find out that they were made in different factories) (in China I'm afraid) (but I love 'em anyway). Matter of fact: the black Jackson I bought while waiting for the Blaze build. And it was perfect. The white Jackson had to go to a luthier before I even played it i.e. fretboard was like a tomato box (very rough and dry), one of the string lock screws in one of the saddles in the Jackson FR was stripped, and the fret edges were like razor blades sticking out (this was a NEW guitar that was specifically ordered and all this before I even took it home from the store BUT when I saw it I fell in love with it and, well, the rest is history i.e. that's why it didn't get sent back and man am I glad I made that decision)!!! Anyway. Now: it's an absolute prize too. Fretboard was refinished, necks (on both) now have satin, and it (also) plays like a dream. And for the day that some piece of Jackson hardware packs up: I have a spare original FR kit just ready to go in.
                            Oh: and as per this LONG thread is has TONE too!!! LOL!!!

Originally posted by StratMatt77 View Post

You mean like the below??? LOL!!! Yeh. Let's face it: after my fitting the DM SD (which I'm led to believe has been dispatched and is on its way) then the only possible things missing from the equation are two JCM800's with 1960 cabs., possibly a set of SD Invaders, and a little more practice!!! LOL!!! Alas: not gonna happen (the JCM800's). I had one back in the very late '80's and another one about fifteen years or so ago (note: ONE not TWO for stereo). I was in CONSTANT trouble with neighbours (nearly got arrested once if memory serves me correctly) (and being pissed out of my head at the time didn't help neither) (they were not of the "Master Volume" variety). And where I live now??? I'll be out on my ear in thirty seconds flat!!! So nah: will make do with my CODE amps. (I really do like 'em). I HAVE thought about getting two DSL's but man: the trouble that people are having with those amps. (Marshall forums)??? Never gonna happen. And besides (and let's never forget): I AM CLOSE to the tone (at least on my one guitar) that I seek. So going valves (again) ain't necessary to me. Also: my target audience is (unfortunately) smallish pubs. I have WAY TOO MUCH power for the type of venues what will give me a shot (and hard enough to find anybody that will let you play Dio all night long too). This also being one of the reasons I've not upgraded to the CODE100H plus cabs. And OF COURSE: at some point in the near future I gotta find a vocalist to cover Dio. Oh MAN: are things THEN gonna get interesting (you think I'm "picky" about my guitar tone??? LOL!!!).

Oh and I watched that whole video. Thanks. I seem to have seen it before and I fear it was BEFORE the Vivian/white Charvel era. If you watch the whole thing: he actually talks pickups about two thirds of the way through. But the cameraman was an idiot i.e. never showed the guitar as Vivian was pointing to the pickups (until the very end and then the quality is so bad I cannot make out anything specific).

But OK and back to the technical aspects. I do have a problem with the SD-1 and the CODE amps. When using the JCM800 emulation there is so much noise that it's just not worth it. I can gate it out using the CODE's built in noise gate but it's got to be so high that it actually ends up choking the sound. So I have also on order (should arrive today) a Boss NS-2 to put in the chain just before the split to the two amps. Yeh. And THIS coming from somebody who thought he'd never need nor buy pedals again!!! See my comments below re: your comment about us not paying enough attention to the speakers in the chain!!! Agreed.

Name:	DSC00556small.jpg
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	5810585

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                            In 1984, Marshall cabs floating around contained a bizzare assortment of Greenbacks, g12-65, g12-80, M70, etc.

Kids??? LOL!!! I wish. And thanks for that!!!

I cannot comment i.e. don't have the knowledge. When I've had heads and cabs. they were just cabs. i.e. didn't bother with what was in them at the time (I know one was a slanted 1960 cab. but no idea which Celestion's were in it). (Didn't bother because it was more important at the time to get "out of it" and have a good time instead of getting on with it hence my trying this now for the third time at fifty three years old!!!) (and for anybody that still has most of their lives ahead of them: LISTEN TO ME i.e. THERE IS AN IMPORTANT LESSON HERE!!!). But I will say this: the CODE range are notorious for the way that treble and bass sort of "fight" with each other. I think I've found the sweet spot. But one or two people have installed Celestion speakers and say that the problem magically disappeared. Who knows. Maybe that's the next step i.e. replacing the stock speakers with Celestion speakers (will have to check specs. and get some recommendations from everyone both here and on the Marshall forums) (not Marshall's own forums i.e. they're useless). But where does it stop (or does it just not stop ever???). I have to be honest and say that I was a bit taken aback when I posted the link of my video above last night. I've not watched it for ages. The guitar playing at that time was useless I know. And too much distortion maybe too I know. It wasn't great. But I will tell you that it wasn't that far from what I'm looking for. And the sad part: that was made without loads of pedals and changing pickups and, and, and, and, and ... Maybe there's a lesson in that now!!!

Regards,

Dale.

P.S.

The only pic. I have left of "the VERY good 'ol days" i.e. taken sometime in '80's (definitely after 1984 anyway). Loads of time has passed, many things have happened, pics. of my Marshall no longer exist i.e. got rid of those Crate's and bought a used JCM800 with 1960 cab. (couldn't buy new Marshall gear in those days because of sanctions). But oh well. Can see my beautiful Charvel's of the day anyway. And my Dio Holy Diver flag on the wall!!! LOL!!! If I had those times over and knew what I knew today ...

The Charvel's, I remember clearly, had SD pickups. The "Sunburst" had active SD pickups (I remember well because I always forgot and left the instrument cable in and had to change batteries every time I wanted to play!!! LOL!!!). Somewhere in there is a Kawai Q80 sequencer (how many people remember those or even know what a sequencer is nowadays), a Korg A3 processor, and, wait for it, a Tascam 4-track recorder!!! LOL!!!

Name:	1980.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	5810586
                            Last edited by dpaterson; 11-27-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

No not that that one! Not the SD-1 overdrive, the DS-1 Distortion.
                              Vivian said he was running a distortion into a cranked stock JCM800.

I'm such a tube snob that it is taking every ounce of self-control I have to not say, "Hey, man, what if your solid state amps are why you can't get that God-like tube tone you are seeking." but I won't say that.
                              Oops! Delete delete!

I really have no experience to make that comment from because my only experience with solid state was from 1998 to 2001 before it was any good. Then I bought my soldano astroverb and didn't need anything else.

By the way, if you don't mind a single-channel 18W EL84 amp that cleans up amazingly with guitar volume reduction/picking dynamics and you want the soldano sound for "cheap" (a relative term) look for a used astroverb on ebay.

I think they are no good with the gritty harsh stock Eminence speakers (but maybe I've never heard one broken in?) and they are boxy as a 1x12 combo, but through a 2x12 (or a 1x12) with a Vintage 30 or a Warehouse Guitar Speakers Retro 30 to tame the V30's high-mids it's like a mini JCM800 with just a bit more gain.

The astroverb is based on the SLO's crunch channel. Mike Soldano's design philosophy is for the tone to come from the preamp and not be a result of overdriving the power tubes, so it sounds perfect at all volumes- even at a whisper that would allow you to play with people sleeping close by.
                              If you can handle single channel, the one other feature lacking is that there is no effects loop for delay (or whatever).
                              In 2001 I bought the effects loop prototype (head) from Mike Soldano for $550 back when the astroverb 1x12 combo listed for $849! (without effects loop).
                              Last edited by StratMatt77; 11-27-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post

Interesting! Thanks for that info!
                                In a 1990 interview the guys from Queensryche said they used Greenbacks and Vintage 30s so I'm gonna assume that they were using greenbacks in 1984. And I know that Alex Lifeson uses Greenbacks. Hmm... Greenbacks.

What if Greenbacks are what he needs to get Vivian's tone?! The Greenback breakup?
                                (Aside from a proper tube amp :P)
                                Last edited by StratMatt77; 11-27-2018, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X