Heavy drum samples for Garageband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy drum samples for Garageband

My buddy and I are in a band. We recorded some really rough quality demos and decided we wanted to record something a bit higher quality. His cousin loaned him an electric kit and module, and we were gonna use garageband to record. Is it possible to get new individual drum and cymbal samples, instead of using the default ones on garageband? We play Melodeath and other types of Extreme Metal.
    I've also never recorded using an electric kit, so any tips/tricks would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    P.S. let me know if I posted this in the correct thread

Re: Heavy drum samples for Garageband

Hi there. Yes, this is the right place!
    Does the drum kit have MIDI out?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my drummer tomorrow. I did just order a quarter inch to usb plug yesterday. He said we would need that to be able to plug into the module and record in stereo
      *Edit*
      He said the kit does have a midi out

Comment

Yes, you can purchase drum samples online and then use them as plug ins within Garageband. EZDrummer2 has some amazing heavy metal drums in there, but purchased as an add on.

Generally for an electronic drum kit, you should have a MIDI output that will let you control the individual drums and cymbals within whatever program and plug ins you use. I know for sure that EZDrummer will let you do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post
          Yes, you can purchase drum samples online and then use them as plug ins within Garageband. EZDrummer2 has some amazing heavy metal drums in there, but purchased as an add on.

Generally for an electronic drum kit, you should have a MIDI output that will let you control the individual drums and cymbals within whatever program and plug ins you use. I know for sure that EZDrummer will let you do that.
          I would record it as a single MIDI track and then edit the track afterwards by selecting Separate By MIDI Note. The MIDI instrument will separate sounds by note value. It may require some mapping to get it right, just save your completed map as a template.

Editing the MIDI track is much easier when it’s separated by note for me personally, but your mileage may vary.

When you have the velocities and sounds where your like them, pan each lane of MIDI to the center and bounce each one to a mono audio track except for the overheads; keep these in stereo. Use the audio tracks to mix with, not the MIDI.
          Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
          X