banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this master series-parallel wiring diagram seem valid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this master series-parallel wiring diagram seem valid?

I want to wire up a master series-parallel option for 2 humbuckers using a push-pull switch, and the wiring scheme depicted in the wiring diagrams that are available here on the SD site don't make sense to me (being someone who doesn't fully understand electrical theory).

So i looked on the net and found this alternate wiring scheme that does make sense to me.

Before i take the time to wire this up, is there anyone here who can validate that this wiring scheme will actually work as advertised?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1544152731507.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	5849694
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Re: Does this master series-parallel wiring diagram seem valid?

If the two red arrows are joined together, then it does what it says!
    Otherwise if you connect the two red arrows to different points on the selector switch, you are going to have a non-functional input position when you select series mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
      If the two red arrows are joined together, then it does what it says!
      Otherwise if you connect the two red arrows to different points on the selector switch, you are going to have a non-functional input position when you select series mode.
      By "non-functional input position", do you mean no signal output i.e. silence?
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
        By "non-functional input position", do you mean no signal output i.e. silence?
        Yes, there would be silence in one position as the connection from the DPDT switch will not pass any signal when you select series mode.

I'm not totally clear on how many humbuckers you will install and what the pickup selector will be. Anyway I suggest to draw out the overall wiring diagram before you finalise the choices.

Comment

Each pickup has to go to its own volume pot or its own lug on the selector switch, otherwise you’ll have two pickups on all the time. But the diagram looks right.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Each pickup has to go to its own volume pot or its own lug on the selector switch, otherwise you’ll have two pickups on all the time. But the diagram looks right.
            Thank you Beaubrummels. I had interpretted the diagram in the same way, and that would be fine with me.

But Teleplayer seems to say above each pickup output needs to go to the SAME lug on the pickup selector , or else i'll get no signal output. Any comment on that? Based on two other wiring diagrams that show the pickup outputs going to different pickup selector lugs, i tend to think that the outputs should not go to the same lug on the pickup selector.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-07-2018, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
              But Teleplayer seems to say above each pickup output needs to go to the SAME lug on the pickup selector , or else i'll get no signal output. Any comment on that? Based on two other wiring diagrams that show the pickup outputs
              going to different pickup selector lugs, i tend to think that the outputs should not go to the same lug on the pickup selector.
              I wrote that there will be a non-functional input position. The Seymour Duncan wiring diagram in the post above has this issue, since it uses effectively the same wiring for the DPDT that's in your first post. When you put switch in "Series mode" you will need to put the pickup selector in either Neck or Middle position. In "Series mode" with the pickup selector on Bridge position you will only get silence.

The "1728.com" wiring diagram avoids this issue as you will get series mode no matter where the pickup selector is positioned. I'm not sure what the "R2" resistor is for, but it would be ok to replace it with a link.
              Last edited by Teleplayer; 12-07-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

I wrote that there will be a non-functional input position. The Seymour Duncan wiring diagram in the post above has this issue, since it uses effectively the same wiring for the DPDT that's in your first post. When you put switch in "Series mode" you will need to put the pickup selector in either Neck or Middle position. In "Series mode" with the pickup selector on Bridge position you will only get silence.

The "1728.com" wiring diagram avoids this issue as you will get series mode no matter where the pickup selector is positioned. I'm not sure what the "R2" resistor is for, but it would be ok to replace it with a link.
                Teleplayer, sorry about that, i did not understand fully until your last reply. For some reason i wasn't mentally connecting that "one non-functioning input position" meant specifically one of the 3 pickup selector positions. Ok, so the Rothstein and Seymour Duncan diagrams require the player to set the pickup selector to anything but middle position when in series mode or else there will be no signal output. Thanks much for also pointing out that the 1728.com wiring scheme does not have this "extra action requirement"- i am going to use the 1728.com diagram because of that.
                Thank you!
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-07-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

If you think about it, it doesn’t make sense to throw the series switch unless you had both pickups on. I’ve seen diagrams where the series switch overrode the selector, but I can’t remember the trick. The ‘dead’ position Teleplayer referees to is a known issue with Jimmy Page wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    If you think about it, it doesn’t make sense to throw the series switch unless you had both pickups on. ..
                    Disagree. Here's one scenario i plan to use that feature frequently.

1) non-series mode. pickup selector in bridge only mode. Using amp high gain channel for crushing high gain passages in a song.
                    2) punch amp channel selector to switch from high gain channel to clean channel. Hit series/parallel switch to series - to combo bridge bucker with neck single coil for much better clean tones than just the too-hot and grainy bridge bucker by itself.
                    3) clean passage of song is over. Punch amp channel selector to change channel back tobhigh gain, then set series/parallel switch back to non-series mode. Back to crushing high gain tones, without having to take a 3rd action of also messing with the pickup selector switch, which has been set to bridge only the whole time.

The series/parallel mode when wired like that. Is like a 4th position on a 3 way toggle switch, that you dont have to switch thru each intermediate pickup selection choice. E.g. Go from 4th to 1st directly back and forth , or 4th to 2nd directly back and forth directly, etc. Its great.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 12-08-2018, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Just wanted to report in that i got the master series-pull functionality wired up earlier today using the 1728.com diagram, and it works like a champ. And i am loving how i the pickup selector is non-functional when the switch is in series... that is letting me go from a nice in series sound directly back to bridge only in parellel mode, very handy.

Thanks again Teleplayer!

Comment

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I think I'm in Jack's position and want to properly understand the info here. Jack, would I be right in saying that when you used the 1728.com diagram, flipping the switch gives you both pickups in series, no matter what position the selector switch is in?
                        I plan on implementing the mod on a 335 with '50s wiring. Originally I assumed that most series/parallel diagrams would only effect the middle position, like you switch to the mid pos with the push/pull up and the pups are in series, or down and they're in parallel, but I see the appeal of a push/pull that bypasses the selector: say you're using the neck pup and you want to switch to the middle position in parallel, you use the selector switch like normal, but say you're using the neck pup and wanted to use both pups in series, you pull the push/pull. Either of the desired results only require one action.

Comment

Originally posted by DenDenDen View Post
                          Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I think I'm in Jack's position and want to properly understand the info here. Jack, would I be right in saying that when you used the 1728.com diagram, flipping the switch gives you both pickups in series, no matter what position the selector switch is in?
                          I plan on implementing the mod on a 335 with '50s wiring. Originally I assumed that most series/parallel diagrams would only effect the middle position, like you switch to the mid pos with the push/pull up and the pups are in series, or down and they're in parallel, but I see the appeal of a push/pull that bypasses the selector: say you're using the neck pup and you want to switch to the middle position in parallel, you use the selector switch like normal, but say you're using the neck pup and wanted to use both pups in series, you pull the push/pull. Either of the desired results only require one action.
                          DenDenDen,

Yes, you are interpretting it correctly.

I did not re-read all the prior replies in this thread, so I apologize if I am repeating something that is already mentioned above, but be aware that some diagrams that feature a master series-parallel switch can be wired differently where the pickup selector switch is not completely overriden - and in those cases, some of the positions of the pickup selector switch could either duplicate another position and or have a killswitch type result.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                            Yes, you are interpretting it correctly.
                            Thank you for clarifying! Can I ask what your results were, and what kind of guitar wiring you implemented the switch into?
                            Like I said I plan on doing this in a 335 with the tone controls wired to '50s spec. Because it's a guitar with four pots, the pickups are wired to the pots and not the selector switch (like they would be in a guitar with only a master Vol+tone) so I've had to draw out a diagram that uses the 1728.com switch, but the top left and middle left lugs go to each volume pot instead of the selector shown in the diagram.

Hope that all makes sense, thanks for getting back to my last post.

Comment

Originally posted by DenDenDen View Post
                              Thank you for clarifying! Can I ask what your results were, and what kind of guitar wiring you implemented the switch into?
                              Like I said I plan on doing this in a 335 with the tone controls wired to '50s spec. Because it's a guitar with four pots, the pickups are wired to the pots and not the selector switch (like they would be in a guitar with only a master Vol+tone) so I've had to draw out a diagram that uses the 1728.com switch, but the top left and middle left lugs go to each volume pot instead of the selector shown in the diagram.

Hope that all makes sense, thanks for getting back to my last post.
                              I installed this on a guitar that had a Master Volume and Master Tone control. But the fact that your guitar has the 2 individual pots per pickup should not cause a problem.

However, you do want to have each pickup continue to *first* route through each of those two controls before routing to this control and the pickup selector switch. I may have misunderstood what you mean in your last reply about the top left and middle lugs, but it seems you are planning to route to the volume and tone controls in oppostite order of what I just described.

Comment

Working...
                              X