Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

After a few months of prep, my band is ready to enter the studio on Sunday to record the first track for the upcoming As Follows album! This will be a unique session in that we will be recording the basic tracks live off the floor and it is largely an improvised piece. Stylistically, the song, titled DEAD SLOW AHEAD, is in keeping with the more synth-forward songs I have recorded to date, Galactic Entropy (18 minutes long) and Megalith (23 minutes long). This piece will be a bit longer and more involved than both of those.

We will be recording at Rivington Music in NYC. I will be producing and engineering the session as well as playing guitar, synths, and percussion.

I will be using this thread to document the process of prep, set up, and recording a 30+ minute song in a 9 hour session!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Entering the studio on Sunday/studio diary

Recording a 30 minute song kinda sounds like it would be an ordeal. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Recording a 30 minute song kinda sounds like it would be an ordeal. :P
      It can be! When you venture into these kinds of waters you really have to know the lineup and its capabilities. You also need to have scheduled breaks AND TAKE THEM or you risk burning everyone out.

I spent the past week working out the equipment list and refining it. I packed all of the equipment yesterday and made a few last minute adjustments. Since this is going to be self recorded I need to bring everything needed for both playing and recording.

This includes:
      Laptop, recording interfaces
      Monitoring for everyone
      Guitar, effects pedals
      Synthesizers (about six of them for this project)
      Sequencers and MIDI controllers
      Foot controller for bass pedal synth
      Lots, and lots, and lots of cables

Click image for larger version

Name:	F20424C2-3A53-4535-A3CA-A7D9945CD7EE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	5810827

Comment

Synthesizers being used on this session:
        Yamaha TX7
        Roland JP-08
        Arturia MiniBrute
        Moog Mother-32
        Modular voices from 2hp, Studio Electronics, Expert Sleepers, Make Noise, Erica Synths

Effects pedals being used:
        TC Electronic Hall of Fame, Prophet, Flourescence
        BOSS RV-3, Space Echo
        strymon DECO
        Mooer Re Echo
        Hartman Tommy Bolin fuzz

Recording stuff:
        Audio Interface is a Focusrite 18i20/Octo Pre combination (16 tracks simultaneous recording)
        SSL channel strip
        Neutrik patch bay
        Audix D2 microphone for hand percussion

Comment

The session went great yesterday!

We had five hours to write and record and were able to get the first part of the song to the point where we could play it live. We recorded three takes, all live off the floor. The third take was the keeper, running around 16 minutes long.

On the Minus side we only got to record half of the song; on the Plus side, we got to record half of the song!

Overall it was a relaxed session with plenty of time to get set up, trouble shoot, and jam. One more session and we should have the whole thing recorded!

Comment

You don't do your writing prior to recording?

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You don't do your writing prior to recording?
              Sometimes I do, sometimes not. Depends on the project, who's involved, and how complete a vision I have for a piece. This time round I wanted to keep it open. I had four 'themes' that were basic sketches, much like a jazz song where you have the head and then a repeating chord sequence with improvisational bits. I did the same thing but applied to a prog/rock setting. It was a gamble but even if we walked out with only a good demo and some solid ideas it was worth it. Fortunately I have the pleasure of jamming with some very creative people and once we got started the piece evolved in a very organic fashion.

Comment

Reamped the guitar tracks today and added the tambourine track. No vocals yet, but here's what we have thus far:

The guitar track is my '62 Fender reissue with a DiMarzio HS-3 in the bridge.
                Pedals used: Catalinbread Naga Viper, MXR micro flange, Hartman Tommy Bolin Fuzz, MXR Phase 90 (Script), BOSS Space Echo (in fx loop).
                Amp used: EAST Studio 2
                Cabinet used: 1970s Hiwatt 4x12
                Bass is a Steinbeger 5 string fretless into an MXR bass di+ into an SSL channel strip
                Synths used: Yamaha TX7, Moog Mother-32, 2hp Pluck

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  Sometimes I do, sometimes not. Depends on the project, who's involved, and how complete a vision I have for a piece. This time round I wanted to keep it open. I had four 'themes' that were basic sketches, much like a jazz song where you have the head and then a repeating chord sequence with improvisational bits. I did the same thing but applied to a prog/rock setting. It was a gamble but even if we walked out with only a good demo and some solid ideas it was worth it. Fortunately I have the pleasure of jamming with some very creative people and once we got started the piece evolved in a very organic fashion.
                  Cool and good to see someone else here doing stuff like this. I work in a circle of folk who do spontaneous stuff regularly. We are doing worship stuff so it's a little different environment but the same concept. I record regularly because you just never know when something cool is just going to come.
                  Your clip reminded me of some of the older Floyd stuff and also some of the old Hawkwind stuff man and yes I did listen to the entire track.
                  Some of the cooler true off the cuff spontaneous pieces from over the years I have captured.

Rare to see folk doing this kind of stuff man!!
                  Last edited by Ascension; 12-18-2018, 10:06 PM.
                  Guitars
                  Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                  Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                    Reamped the guitar tracks today and added the tambourine track. No vocals yet, but here's what we have thus far:

The guitar track is my '62 Fender reissue with a DiMarzio HS-3 in the bridge.
                    Pedals used: Catalinbread Naga Viper, MXR micro flange, Hartman Tommy Bolin Fuzz, MXR Phase 90 (Script), BOSS Space Echo (in fx loop).
                    Amp used: EAST Studio 2
                    Cabinet used: 1970s Hiwatt 4x12
                    Bass is a Steinbeger 5 string fretless into an MXR bass di+ into an SSL channel strip
                    Synths used: Yamaha TX7, Moog Mother-32, 2hp Pluck
                    I like the synth sound you're getting. I feel like some of the the lead guitar is overpowering the rest of the song in parts (around 11:37, 11:51, etc.). It's a decent song, kinda a Pink Floyd meets Stranger Things vibe.

:P

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                      Cool and good to see someone else here doing stuff like this. I work in a circle of folk who do spontaneous stuff regularly. We are doing worship stuff so it's a little different environment but the same concept. I record regularly because you just never know when something cool is just going to come.
                      Always a good idea!

Your clip reminded me of some of the older Floyd stuff and also some of the old Hawkwind stuff man and yes I did listen to the entire track.
                      LOL -- that's what I said, but also reminds me a bit of Tangerine Dream, too. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Thanks for sharing, I will check them out!

Rare to see folk doing this kind of stuff man!!
                      Agreed.

Comment

I like the synth sound you're getting. I feel like some of the the lead guitar is overpowering the rest of the song in parts (around 11:37, 11:51, etc.). It's a decent song, kinda a Pink Floyd meets Stranger Things vibe.

:P
                        Thanks for listening and commenting! This isn't mixed yet; there are lots of imbalances and such that need to be worked out!

Comment

Working...
                        X