True Bypass .... fact or fiction ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True Bypass .... fact or fiction ?

Just a theory, but I think a lot of the true bypass fans are people that are used to playing through a tube amp turned up loud and use a volume control for cleanup. They are used to the interaction of the guitar pickups and the amp’s front end and a buffer can completely interrupt that. They would use pedals rarely, only for specific effects once in a while. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I don't worry too much about it. Either the pedal sounds great in the chain or it doesn't. I don't like delays to be true bypass as I like them to trail off when I turn them off.
    Good point on the trails.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Have no problem cleaning up my guitar with buffered only pedals....
      The TB horrors and their DC pops and mechanical noise on the other hand....

Comment

Buffers sort of mess with a fuzzface. Also the Blackstone OD, which wants to interact with your pickups directly. So those like to be in line before any buffers.

But if you're running more than two or three pedals (which many do nowadays), or if you have a long cable run to the amp, buffers are a tonesaver. There's a reason why so many pedals have a buffer built in.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

True Bypass .... fact or fiction ?

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          Buffers sort of mess with a fuzzface. Also the Blackstone OD, which wants to interact with your pickups directly. So those like to be in line before any buffers.
          That’s because the Fuzzface and its clones have a terribly low input impedance. Wasn’t done for any other reason than no one was thinking about how it would work with another pedal in front of it. It’s just an old, poor design.

Properly designed pedals have a high input impedance and a low output impedance. So in that aspect they are already buffering the signal. Pedals with electronic switching, like Boss, act as buffers in bypass just as a side effect to the switching system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            That’s because the Fuzzface and its clones have a terribly low input impedance. Wasn’t done for any other reason than no one was thinking about how it would work with another pedal in front of it. It’s just an old, poor design.

Properly designed pedals have a high input impedance and a low output impedance. So in that aspect they are already buffering the signal. Pedals with electronic switching, like Boss, act as buffers in bypass just as a side effect to the switching system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            So is that why my attempt at building electronic TB switching system failed...? It did worked, but I never got rid of horrible switching noise caused by supposedly "low noise" operation audio relays.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

So this week i move my phase 90 out of the loop and in front of the amp. There was such a dramatic difference in my Boss CE-2 [being wetter] without the 90 parked in front i had to lower the internal trim pot on the Boss 2 days ago.
              Well it was still too wet and i had to back off the trim pot again today to maybe 1/8th open to find the sweet spot.
              Thats how big a difference that made.
              I had been running the 90 in the loop for at least 3 years.
              Also i had not run my Onfloor Audio Tube Boost Overdrive with my MESA Dual Rec had it in storage, and holy sheep**** what a combo.
              The OFA is back on my board with a Vengence.
              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-14-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

At one point I had 12 Boss pedals running in front of my amp. Boss makes an OK buffered bypass, but the difference between running that and plugging straight into the amp was unreal.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  At one point I had 12 Boss pedals running in front of my amp. Boss makes an OK buffered bypass, but the difference between running that and plugging straight into the amp was unreal.
                  Hah! 12? Even Steve Vai doesnt do that!
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                    Hah! 12? Even Steve Vai doesnt do that!

Vai has the Axe FX with 300 patches.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

Vai has the Axe FX with 300 patches.
                      Yeah -PATCHES and multiple paths to multiple amps. -he doesn't just layout 12 in a row normally or all the time -he picks and choses and patches them in to mitigate exactly what Mr GuitarStv was referring to.

Have to admit that Meme made my post worth it.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I never use more than a couple pedals but I generally hate buffered pedals because I don't WANT to keep my high frequencies intact. Of course I also don't want to completely smother them, either, like my old Ross Distortion did. Slightly smothered is my goal.
                        There is an interesting Wampler video where he plugs in a few Boss pedals and switches a bypass on and off. Really a night-and-day difference. I can't figure out how to link using this tablet, but if you go to YouTube and search "Wampler buffer" it's the first one that comes up.
                        Last edited by Dave Locher; 12-14-2018, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Here it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                            Yeah but he has 14 pedals. No surprise there.

Comment

input and output impedances is what it's all about.

learn this and you will have mastered this realm.

Comment

Hello Master!!! LOL!!!

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                                input and output impedances is what it's all about.

learn this and you will have mastered this realm.
                                Is there any way you could explain this in sort of clear and concise and layman's type terms. Believe me this is something I've wondered about (you know my setup well) and tried to "get" but man: all the stuff I've found on the Internet has just not explained things to me (at least not in PRACTICAL terms).

Regards,

Dale.

Comment

Working...
                                X