I Can Haz Lynch Tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Can Haz Lynch Tone?

Very rough sketches here... and pardon the rust. Haven't played Dokken in decades.

Scary Rhythm:

Hunter Rhythm:

Re: I Can Haz Lynch Tone?

The tone is great as always! The Hunter rhythm needs a little more palm muting and space (IIRC, it's been a while, and these days my memory ain't what it used to be).

Comment

Mr scary is pretty dang close, maybe a tad too wet but other than that

Comment

Tweak tweak tweak...

Comment

Sounds really good, but still kinda wet and processed...it needs to breathe more or something. You are getting close and I def pick up the Lynch vibe though, theres no denying that.

So far what does your set up consist of?
          87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
            Sounds really good, but still kinda wet and processed...it needs to breathe more or something. You are getting close and I def pick up the Lynch vibe though, theres no denying that.

So far what does your set up consist of?
            Thanks... still a ton of work to do. Plus gotta figure out the mix itself (panning, FX etc). Not to mention learning the rest (learning as I go).

What's interesting with the album tone for the Scary tune is the distortion clipping is very choppy (esp. the intro); almost square-wave-ish. Not sure how that was accomplished. Possible may have mixed in some really rough sounding distortion from another amp and blended the usual Marshall tone with it, or could have been an overloaded mic pre.

There's some clever mixing going on too where some guitar parts are pretty dry but other parts (that occur at the same time as the dry) are Eventide-ed in stereo.

Add to that the occasional clean, chorused (prolly Eventide again) parts that overlay.

And I have to consider whether or not a Rockman was blended in.

So yeah, lots of work to be done.

Setup is my typical guitar -> tube preamp -> DAW -> BIAS VST -> speaker iR -> EQ

Some Eventide was applied. This clip I did real double-tracking.

Comment

Perhaps another thing to consider is that it's analog and that adds some warmth that is not easily replicated digitally, which could be messing with your ears because you're compensating for that in your head, which in turn messes with your overall EQ. Just a thought.

Do you have a Rockman to try out? What guitar and pickup?
              87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I agree with Metalchurch: It sounds great, but a hair overprocessed. It is more noticeable in the solo guitar to my ears, but also applies to the rhythm parts. Still great, though!

Comment

The tones are very good yet pretty processed, but in a good way. For some reason, the tones from the first 2 clips totally remind me of VH OU812 for some reason. Just listen to "Cabo Wabo" from that album and you will know what i mean.
                  Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                  Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

I heard on Under Lock and Key they put G's guitar through his 4-track recorder because he liked the way it sounded when it was overloaded, not sure if they did that for Back for the Attack.

Comment

Damn these sneaky clever engineers!

And yes there appears to be Rockman stuff mixed in with the Marshalls. Luckily, I have several of the modules.

Originally posted by Lynch's Old Website
                      George used a mix of these different Marshall set-ups in the studio which resulted with a clean power section to
                      preamp through. Included here are two 1968 Marshall plexi heads and a 100-watt Marshall Super Tremolo that
                      were modified by Lee Jackson of Metaltronix, fitting them with 6550 power tube sections.
                      Signal routing was more simplistic than presented here. As Lynch explained it at the
                      time, "I use an old Ibanez Tube Screamer or a Boss GE-7 to preamp my amps a little.
                      Other than that, I don't use pedals except an A/B switch to throw on another guitar. I
                      go stereo out of a Lexicon PCM-41 with 28 milliseconds of delay to fatten up my
                      rhythms." Also pictured here two Rocktron HUSH II-C's to keep things quiet on both
                      sides of stereo application. A Rockman Distortion Generator was used to push the
                      signal a little more to the power section. Used in A/B switching, there is also a
                      Rockman X100-B in a Rockmount for a chorused clean signal. While using the clean
                      alongside the high gain in an A + B application in tandem, Lynch describes the sound
                      as "giving it a a bit of a shimmer and percussion" to the rhythm guitar parts.

Comment

Nice! 1 step closer!!

Off topic but I really really want to get a 1988 Lee Jackson GP1000.... Ive been looking and Im thinking about it...

Edit:
                        That shimmer and percussion is prob whats messing with you in regards to your wet/dry ratio

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                          Nice! 1 step closer!!

Off topic but I really really want to get a 1988 Lee Jackson GP1000.... Ive been looking and Im thinking about it...
                          https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ns_Rack_Preamp

Comment

I think one trick is... an octaver (-1 oct down, same dist, mixed in but lower volume) in the very beginning.

Gives an almost square-wave clipping effect.

Rig is different here... but principle is mostly the same... and EQ'd things more closely.

Comment

Yes!!
                              Definitely more alive now!!!
                              great job tweaking that, its like night and day from your last few...not that they were bad either mind you...

I can hear more nuances in this one and its more in your face....I think you're onto something with your latest tweaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X