What amp is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What amp is this?

My esteemed forumites, I'm curious what amp this sounds like to you?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Re: What amp is this?

Completely a guess but it sounds SS. No idea in the wattage.
    Whatever it is, it sounds not bad.

Comment

Honestly, the amp is supposed to be based off an amp that I've never played before. So I'm not sure if it does actually sound like the amp they claim. lol! So I'm just looking for opinions on what the gain voicing reminds people of.

Comment

Never played one so don't know but I vote a Slo.

Comment

Comment

I was looking at those little guys. Seriously looking.
            What do you figure?

Comment

Well it sounds like a grittier and slightly thinner version of the late 80s American hardcore sound.

So I'm going to say it's a pedal amp mimicking a Cheaper Les Paul Studio with standard PAF into RAT pedal with filter clocked left, distortion low and volume (Gain) up into a 2204 with preamp medium and post up with the KT88/6550 Tube mod.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
                I was looking at those little guys. Seriously looking.
                What do you figure?
                It sounds pretty darn good. All the models do from samples I've heard and the ones I can relate to do actually seem to somehow capture the sound of the amp they are based on. I dont know how they do it.

At first i was disapointed, because I played it through a 112 cab. But then I tried it through one of my 412s and it came alive. Big thump and crunch.

This model is based on the Engl Savage 120. Ive only ever played (owned) a Fireball 100 and the gain voicing seems to be on par. Engl has this odd tendency to have a thick, dark, saturated gain that is somehow stiff, tight and percussive at the same time. The Fireball/Powerball line has more bite and dare I say a synthetic low mid gain voicing. Whereas the Savage gain is a more raw, natural high mid gain voicing.

I've been boosting the amp to tighten and brighten the crunch more, but it does not require it for gain level purposes.
                This amp is also very loud. I use it at low volume for playing in my apartment though because I need something that I can play satisfyingly at 3:00 in the morning without my tone being neutered or waking the neighbors. This amp allows me to do that.

I can also turn this amp on and leave it on for hours and hours and hours while in my apartment I'm not worried about my tubes in my other amps. Because I tend to pick up and put down my guitar throughout the night. I work graveyard shift so this amp makes a lot of sense for me since I sleep most of the day and I'm either at work or up all night. The volume taper is also excellent because I can make small adjustments without it running away on me.

I'm currently looking at getting one or possibly two more models.

Comment

Well if you're thinking of getting more, that says something.
                  I was worried about them sounding shrill and tin cookie containerish.
                  As with most gear I can't try before I buy, didn't want to be left thinking " What the heck am I going to do with this p.o.s."

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                    ha. look at that little baby. Your doing pretty well to get a stack sound out of that.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well I ordered 3 more the other day. Best Buy had two of them on sale for 50% off so couldn't resist. The Mojo Diamond (Fender Tweed Deluxe) and the British Invasion (Vox AC30)
                      I also got a reduced price match on the Purple Wind (Marshall Plexi) so got that one too. I heard two clips of the amp boosted with Boss ODs and it sounded great.

Comment

Working...
                      X