Learn Guitar online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn Guitar online

Hello there. I play for about 10 years and started a little late (at 26 years old). Right now I feel like I've stopped evolving.

In fact, I've never followed some consistent routine, just took some lessons at the beggining and made my own path from there. That's why I've never really been that good.

Now, one of my 2019 goals is get better and dedicate some time on actually learning guitar. With that in mind, I came across some guitar courses that those "famous" Youtube guys offer.

Does anyone of you has any experience with that kind of learning system and could share you thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Learn Guitar online

A couple of years back, I took myself back to scratch (after almost 40 years) to learn/relearn/unlearn the habits of a lifetime - I have ZERO regrets and emerged a much better player on all levels.

I chose Paul Gilbert’s course at artistworks and, it is excellent (he’s one of the most genuine teachers I’ve come across online).

Of YouTubers, I’ve only done free lessons - the ones who stand out for me are:

Paul Davids (he’s just released a beginner’s course, so I don’t know it’s applicable here)

David Wallimans (not tried his official lessons, but his vids are always giving me something new to try/refine)

Tim Pierce (not tried his masterclass, but he seems very, very good from what I’ve watched/followed)

We live with an embarrassment of riches when it comes to learning now - I cut my teeth in the early-80s, when even VHS lessons were a dream - learning by ear and from tab in Guitarist magazine was it for me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

This guy is pretty great. He covers everything from music theory to technique, to tone, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Just looking at the names of his videos will show you the scope of his lessons.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        This guy is pretty great. He covers everything from music theory to technique, to tone, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Just looking at the names of his videos will show you the scope of his lessons.
        Yes! I missed him in my list. Interesting presentation style (sometimes offputting) but great content.

Comment

Thanks for the advices! Get back to scratch is something I'd like to do. Relearn things so I can evolve in a better way.

I really like Paul Gilbert's teaching style. It is very educative, but not for complete dummies.

My initial thought was to get a complete course, because I tend to get lost between classes. What to learn now? And then? I'll take a close look on the guys you've mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
            Thanks for the advices! Get back to scratch is something I'd like to do. Relearn things so I can evolve in a better way.

I really like Paul Gilbert's teaching style. It is very educative, but not for complete dummies.

My initial thought was to get a complete course, because I tend to get lost between classes. What to learn now? And then? I'll take a close look on the guys you've mentioned.
            Paul’s course has a free trial, I think. Worth trying. He starts at basic and ends up at, well, Paul Gilbert! Most useful is his approach to breaking things down and learning, it helped me focus my practice and I still use the approach when writing/recording/learning new parts today.

Comment

I was a complete beginner and tried a couple of online guitar courses. Most of them offered free trials so I didn't spend much money. I did buy this ****ty eBook which was a complete waste of money. I cant think of the name, but it was absolute rubbish.

If you look online and search "best online guitar lessons", you should probably find the likes of Guitar Tricks, Jam Play, Jamorama and Artists Works. This article helped me out.

I tried the free trials with Guitar Tricks, Jam Play and Jamorama.

Jamorama is only for complete beginners really, so It's probably no good to you if you want to keep evolving. It doesn't really go into any advanced skill playing.

My personal favorite was Guitar Tricks. It was just much easier to follow.

It has a step by step system that really helped me learn to play quickly.

They use what they called a "core learning system" - a cheesy way of saying step by step.

But there was no boring theory, they really believed in learning by doing (playing)

Basically they teach you a new skill in each lesson and you put into action in the next lesson. But hey it worked for me really well.

After you get through the basics is where I really loved Guitar Tricks.

It's not just for absolute beginners. There's loads of intermediate and advanced video lessons as well. I think there's over 11,000 video lessons or something like that.

What's kind cool is they add new songs to their library every week that had a step by step tutorial to learn that particular song. It always keeps me interested in learning new songs, rather than the same songs everybody knows.

However, it does cost you. It's $19.99 a month subscription after the free trial.

That might be expensive to you or a bargain I don't know, but I pay $10 for Netflix which I don't use and I use Guitar Tricks a couple times a week, so I find it good value for money.

Mainly because it's constantly updated with new material and I like the online community forum they have there.

I hope this helps.

Comment

I like books.

Youtube is good if you want to focus on one small thing for a couple days, but books tend to have a lot of examples and a lot broader explanation of stuff than you get from watching bunches of videos.

What specifically are you trying to improve on? Rhythm, lead playing, songwriting, ear training?
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I use whatever method I can. Lessons, listening to non-guitar music and figuring it out, reading, etc. I've been impressed with the 'Cracking the Code' series, if you like faster efficient playing.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There is also https://truefire.com/online-guitar-lessons/

You have to pay for most of the lessons, but there may be some freebies in there.

Comment

Symptom, thanks a lot for bringing this up. I didn't really know what to think about YT, let alone all the different teachers, but this thread helped me tremendously,all of ya'll. I have a bookshelf for music (and cats) only, plus YT. I like Guitar Tricks and others ya'll mentioned, but never heard of Jamorama,-sounds like that's where I need to be. Besides checking in all the guys that range from newb to tapping. Good to hear other people-I didn't know if I was totally misguided or what. Thanks !!

Dove has wings of buzzard
                      And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

symptom, thanks for posting. others, thanks for the input! I desperately need lessons.. after years and years, Im still at a beginner level... I bought the metal method set a few years back, but on vhs and dont have a vhs player anymore.. Soooo....
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I think the best thing that you can do when you feel like you are in a rut is to learn more songs and styles of playing. I can't speak for everyone, but I definitely tend to put myself in a box when it comes to playing guitar. I learn something new and then beat it to death for months or even years on end. Then I end up feeling like I suck and can't play anymore. The best way to get out of that is to learn something outside of your current skill set or style. When I went from playing metal to jazz, my whole attitude toward the guitar changed. Then I went back to metal with totally different ears.

If I were you, I'd look for a guitar training course that has some different guitar styles than you typically play. Also, look for something that has types of songs that you wouldn't necessarily learn. Broaden your musical tastes and see what happens. You might be surprised that playing a different style will light a fire under you. I'd recommend looking at either Guitar Tricks or Jamplay. They both have a wide variety of great lessons and songs to learn. I'm sure you will find one of them to be helpful.

Good luck. I think Tommy Emmanuel put it best in one of his DVD performances when he said, "I'm still trying to get good at this thing." We all are.
                          The Gear:

1995 Gibson SG, 1991 Gibson Lucille, 2005 Fender Strat Custom, 1989 Ibanez Jem, And many more....

"It is true. I never practice guitar or take guitar lessons. From time to time I open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat."

-Wes Montgomery

Comment

Working...
                          X