Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

This is a good video because the speaker's picture in the corner makes it easy to scroll around to compare models back to back.
    Also he does various miking/mixing.

The K100 and classic lead are back to back anyways. cl80

I really would like a couple of the older version 80s.
    I like the sound of the G12-65 the most in this video. And the Celestion website describes the low end as "controlled" which seems to address my complaint about the T-75. Another speaker candidate is always a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Not a fan of the 70s, 75s, 80s, and 100s

likey the 50,65 (especially the 1980) and thirties..... no feedback for me! I like the mid range detail and aggressive growl of the lower wattage speakers.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Mesa C90
        Celestion K85 / K100
        Celestion g12-65
        Vintage Celestion g12-80

Try replacing half first... if it's partway there but still too much t75-ness, replace the other half. With any model from the list.

Haven't tried the other pairings, but a g12-65 / k85 (=k100) 4x12 is kickazz for metal rhythms. Oh yeah btw if you don't like v30's alone or new v30's, then an old UK v30 paired with something like a c90 could surprise you, very nice leads without the harshness... or even just v30/t75, it's a pretty popular pairing

PS the Seventy80 is a budget POS, stay away
        Last edited by Adieu; 01-10-2019, 01:41 AM.
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Swap 2 of the 75s for 2 V30s. Try in a few configurations. Side by side. One over the other. X configuration. Listen to what works for you.

Or think about a pair of V30s and a pair of Greenbacks. Which are also great on their own.

Or a pair of A Type and a pair of V Type. I don't like these buy themselves, but they are great when combined.

Or just 4 V30s.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
            I don't like the Seventy 80, even in the video the mids sound kind of "plasticy" (only term I could think of), the Classic Lead 80 is similar, just much more refined and sounds more organic, at least to me. You said you didn't want the mid scoop of the G12T-75 but didn't like the hyped midrange of the V30, so, the Classic 80 was the first thing that came to mind, it is a pretty neutral sounding speaker in a good way.

That said, the Creambacks are nice too, and even the V30 for the right tones, it definitely does the Slash tones the best.
            When the Classic Lead 80 first came out, Celestion marketed it as their "American Sound" speaker, as it doesn't have the the mid-spike of the classic Celestions. At some point they stopped using that term in their marketing of the speaker. Now they have a couple of other speakers that are supposedly voice more in the "American" vein. I put a CL80 in my brother's Fender Super 60 because of that description back then, it sounds great IMO in the Fender but still gives a bit of Brit sound with an American (meaning vintage Jensen, CTS, etc.) flavor.
            Al

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
              Swap 2 of the 75s for 2 V30s.
              This is the preferred mix. The two speakers compliment each other.

I have one cab loaded with this combo and it is definitely a more "metal" sound than the more classic M and H speakers.

No guarantee this will work for you, but it is the best suggestion for these speakers.
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I saw a pair of used G12-65s listed online at a decent asking price, and earlier today received acceptance on my offer. The guy is supposed to ship the pair out to me this coming Tuesday. I noticed the ohm spec printed on the back of the speakers is "15" vs 16 Ohms but assumed that diff is not a major concern; give me a head's up if it is please.

Will setup that pair on the left side of my stereo-capable 4x12 cab and A/B compare them to a pair of the stock T-75s on the right side. I figured for the good price i got these 65s at , i can sell them easily and make my money back if i don't like them.

The guy mentioned he was selling these G12-65s because he switched over to using the 150 Watt Celestion Redbacks. I hadn't heard about this Redback speaker b4. Did some research. It is a newer design; year 2017 production release. Not a lot of reviews on the net about it. But this Youtube review does a good job, i think. For a moment, i was considering pursuing a purchase of multiple Redbacks myself, but talked myself out of it, because at > 10 lbs per speaker, 4 of those would change my 4x12 from "difficult" to transport to an outright back-breaker. Plus the wattage handling capability @ 150W x 4 would be overkill.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-12-2019, 01:16 AM.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Yeah, kinda. The H-75 has less upper mid shrillnes, but a bit more high-end rasp. It also has creamy Greenback-like lower mids, and is tighter in the lows.

Did you check this vid out?

Sorry for the delay in response. I am already familiar with that video, but thank you. That guy should be given an award for how tight he is able to dial in the sound on each speaker. To my ears, he does it so well, it is difficult to hear the differences in each speaker compared to other soesker comparison videos. One thing i did make out clearly, is that i definitely don't like that Type A / alnico speaker, haha.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-12-2019, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Interesting info in this thread. Whenever I get some spare cash . (someday..... maybe....) I want to swap the 75s out of my Avatar 2x12 and also try diff speakers in my Carvin 4x12. I dont believe I had ever even heard of the Classic Lead 80s.. Yet the Avatar site says " a firm favorite" . Most speaker talk revolves around V30s, greenbacks or creambacks..

Also, I didnt know the Splawn small blocks were greenback replicas or made by Eminence. I think that is what is in my splawn cab..

My mind has been boggled for years as to what to try in those cabs...
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                      This is the preferred mix. The two speakers compliment each other.

I have one cab loaded with this combo and it is definitely a more "metal" sound than the more classic M and H speakers.

No guarantee this will work for you, but it is the best suggestion for these speakers.
                      I have one 75 and one Greenback clone in my 2x12 and that combo works pretty damn good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        Interesting info in this thread. Whenever I get some spare cash . (someday..... maybe....) I want to swap the 75s out of my Avatar 2x12 and also try diff speakers in my Carvin 4x12. I dont believe I had ever even heard of the Classic Lead 80s.. Yet the Avatar site says " a firm favorite" . Most speaker talk revolves around V30s, greenbacks or creambacks..

Also, I didnt know the Splawn small blocks were greenback replicas or made by Eminence. I think that is what is in my splawn cab..

My mind has been boggled for years as to what to try in those cabs...
                        I have the Small Blocks too....love them.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
                          I saw a pair of used G12-65s listed online at a decent asking price, and earlier today received acceptance on my offer. The guy is supposed to ship the pair out to me this coming Tuesday. I noticed the ohm spec printed on the back of the speakers is "15" vs 16 Ohms but assumed that diff is not a major concern; give me a head's up if it is please.

Will setup that pair on the left side of my stereo-capable 4x12 cab and A/B compare them to a pair of the stock T-75s on the right side. I figured for the good price i got these 65s at , i can sell them easily and make my money back if i don't like them.

The guy mentioned he was selling these G12-65s because he switched over to using the 150 Watt Celestion Redbacks. I hadn't heard about this Redback speaker b4. Did some research. It is a newer design; year 2017 production release. Not a lot of reviews on the net about it. But this Youtube review does a good job, i think. For a moment, i was considering pursuing a purchase of multiple Redbacks myself, but talked myself out of it, because at > 10 lbs per speaker, 4 of those would change my 4x12 from "difficult" to transport to an outright back-breaker. Plus the wattage handling capability @ 150W x 4 would be overkill.

I’ve seen this many times on speakers too.
                          Although I can’t offer any technical explanation, it’s my understanding that in an application sense, they are essentially 16ohm (even though it says 15).

Comment

Sorry for the delay in response. I am already familiar with that video, but thank you. That guy should be given an award for how tight he is able to dial in the sound on each speaker. To my ears, he does it so well, it is difficult to hear the differences in each speaker compared to other soesker comparison videos. One thing i did make out clearly, is that i definitely don't like that Type A / alnico speaker, haha.

I've produced and engineering a ton of hard rock/metal and I agree with your Type A assessment -BUT I can tell you where that speaker shines - in 2 guitar panning on a record -because it's voice is so distinct, it fills the overall guitar sounds up into a giant attack -like a Hammond organ does in Rock music.

These Metal and Rock albums where both guitars are using all 70s and 75 speaker makes for tonal infighting and mud IMO -you need to spread the guitars across different voicings so each passage has it's place. So while there's no chance I'd use that Type A by itself, it would contribute a more important role to a larger production than many of the other speakers.

Personally I love greenbacks, 65s, and 50s for lead.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yup the 15 instead of 16 ohms on the label was a thing with all older Rola Celestion stickered speakers... don't mind it, 15/16 same difference, and the 15 label is just additional proof of vintage authenticity

Redbacks, the idea is to replace 8x12 with 2x12 or 4x12 with 1x12 imho

For the weight-averse, there's also an upcoming 12" neodymium 250w speaker
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I also had a marshall cab with gt-75 , and they are good for rhythm , but too scooped for good leads .
                                I didn't like the honky mid of the Vintage 30 and the basses a bit muddy , so I tried the Classic leads and like them .
                                The bass are punchy with a lot of low mids , mids are natural with punch as well , highs are not gritty , and you get this impression of fluidity when chorusing .
                                They are very versatile , but probably not the best for all kind of music .
                                For scooped metal gt-75 , V-30 are more popular .
                                Classic leads are more refined I would say , but so punchy though .
                                Last edited by fab.regnaut; 01-14-2019, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X