Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

  1. #21
    Mojo's Minions Ayrton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Age
    49
    Posts
    9,468

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
    Swap 2 of the 75s for 2 V30s.
    This is the preferred mix. The two speakers compliment each other.

    I have one cab loaded with this combo and it is definitely a more "metal" sound than the more classic M and H speakers.

    No guarantee this will work for you, but it is the best suggestion for these speakers.
    -Chris


    Quote Originally Posted by John Suhr View Post
    Practice cures most tone issues

  2. #22
    Toneologist kingswebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    I saw a pair of used G12-65s listed online at a decent asking price, and earlier today received acceptance on my offer. The guy is supposed to ship the pair out to me this coming Tuesday. I noticed the ohm spec printed on the back of the speakers is "15" vs 16 Ohms but assumed that diff is not a major concern; give me a head's up if it is please.

    Will setup that pair on the left side of my stereo-capable 4x12 cab and A/B compare them to a pair of the stock T-75s on the right side. I figured for the good price i got these 65s at , i can sell them easily and make my money back if i don't like them.

    The guy mentioned he was selling these G12-65s because he switched over to using the 150 Watt Celestion Redbacks. I hadn't heard about this Redback speaker b4. Did some research. It is a newer design; year 2017 production release. Not a lot of reviews on the net about it. But this Youtube review does a good job, i think. For a moment, i was considering pursuing a purchase of multiple Redbacks myself, but talked myself out of it, because at > 10 lbs per speaker, 4 of those would change my 4x12 from "difficult" to transport to an outright back-breaker. Plus the wattage handling capability @ 150W x 4 would be overkill.





    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kingswebe; 01-12-2019 at 12:16 AM.

  3. #23
    Toneologist kingswebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Yeah, kinda. The H-75 has less upper mid shrillnes, but a bit more high-end rasp. It also has creamy Greenback-like lower mids, and is tighter in the lows.

    Did you check this vid out?

    Sorry for the delay in response. I am already familiar with that video, but thank you. That guy should be given an award for how tight he is able to dial in the sound on each speaker. To my ears, he does it so well, it is difficult to hear the differences in each speaker compared to other soesker comparison videos. One thing i did make out clearly, is that i definitely don't like that Type A / alnico speaker, haha.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kingswebe; 01-12-2019 at 12:18 AM.

  4. #24
    Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tween a rock and a hard place
    Age
    52
    Posts
    18,207

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Interesting info in this thread. Whenever I get some spare cash . (someday..... maybe....) I want to swap the 75s out of my Avatar 2x12 and also try diff speakers in my Carvin 4x12. I dont believe I had ever even heard of the Classic Lead 80s.. Yet the Avatar site says " a firm favorite" . Most speaker talk revolves around V30s, greenbacks or creambacks..

    Also, I didnt know the Splawn small blocks were greenback replicas or made by Eminence. I think that is what is in my splawn cab..

    My mind has been boggled for years as to what to try in those cabs...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

    Jol Dantzig

  5. #25
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
    This is the preferred mix. The two speakers compliment each other.

    I have one cab loaded with this combo and it is definitely a more "metal" sound than the more classic M and H speakers.

    No guarantee this will work for you, but it is the best suggestion for these speakers.
    I have one 75 and one Greenback clone in my 2x12 and that combo works pretty damn good as well.

  6. #26
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Interesting info in this thread. Whenever I get some spare cash . (someday..... maybe....) I want to swap the 75s out of my Avatar 2x12 and also try diff speakers in my Carvin 4x12. I dont believe I had ever even heard of the Classic Lead 80s.. Yet the Avatar site says " a firm favorite" . Most speaker talk revolves around V30s, greenbacks or creambacks..

    Also, I didnt know the Splawn small blocks were greenback replicas or made by Eminence. I think that is what is in my splawn cab..

    My mind has been boggled for years as to what to try in those cabs...
    I have the Small Blocks too....love them.

  7. #27
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by kingswebe View Post
    I saw a pair of used G12-65s listed online at a decent asking price, and earlier today received acceptance on my offer. The guy is supposed to ship the pair out to me this coming Tuesday. I noticed the ohm spec printed on the back of the speakers is "15" vs 16 Ohms but assumed that diff is not a major concern; give me a head's up if it is please.

    Will setup that pair on the left side of my stereo-capable 4x12 cab and A/B compare them to a pair of the stock T-75s on the right side. I figured for the good price i got these 65s at , i can sell them easily and make my money back if i don't like them.

    The guy mentioned he was selling these G12-65s because he switched over to using the 150 Watt Celestion Redbacks. I hadn't heard about this Redback speaker b4. Did some research. It is a newer design; year 2017 production release. Not a lot of reviews on the net about it. But this Youtube review does a good job, i think. For a moment, i was considering pursuing a purchase of multiple Redbacks myself, but talked myself out of it, because at > 10 lbs per speaker, 4 of those would change my 4x12 from "difficult" to transport to an outright back-breaker. Plus the wattage handling capability @ 150W x 4 would be overkill.





    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I’ve seen this many times on speakers too.
    Although I can’t offer any technical explanation, it’s my understanding that in an application sense, they are essentially 16ohm (even though it says 15).

  8. #28
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    4,212

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by kingswebe View Post
    Sorry for the delay in response. I am already familiar with that video, but thank you. That guy should be given an award for how tight he is able to dial in the sound on each speaker. To my ears, he does it so well, it is difficult to hear the differences in each speaker compared to other soesker comparison videos. One thing i did make out clearly, is that i definitely don't like that Type A / alnico speaker, haha.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I've produced and engineering a ton of hard rock/metal and I agree with your Type A assessment -BUT I can tell you where that speaker shines - in 2 guitar panning on a record -because it's voice is so distinct, it fills the overall guitar sounds up into a giant attack -like a Hammond organ does in Rock music.

    These Metal and Rock albums where both guitars are using all 70s and 75 speaker makes for tonal infighting and mud IMO -you need to spread the guitars across different voicings so each passage has it's place. So while there's no chance I'd use that Type A by itself, it would contribute a more important role to a larger production than many of the other speakers.

    Personally I love greenbacks, 65s, and 50s for lead.

  9. #29
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,743

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by kingswebe View Post
    I saw a pair of used G12-65s listed online at a decent asking price, and earlier today received acceptance on my offer. The guy is supposed to ship the pair out to me this coming Tuesday. I noticed the ohm spec printed on the back of the speakers is "15" vs 16 Ohms but assumed that diff is not a major concern; give me a head's up if it is please.

    Will setup that pair on the left side of my stereo-capable 4x12 cab and A/B compare them to a pair of the stock T-75s on the right side. I figured for the good price i got these 65s at , i can sell them easily and make my money back if i don't like them.

    The guy mentioned he was selling these G12-65s because he switched over to using the 150 Watt Celestion Redbacks. I hadn't heard about this Redback speaker b4. Did some research. It is a newer design; year 2017 production release. Not a lot of reviews on the net about it. But this Youtube review does a good job, i think. For a moment, i was considering pursuing a purchase of multiple Redbacks myself, but talked myself out of it, because at > 10 lbs per speaker, 4 of those would change my 4x12 from "difficult" to transport to an outright back-breaker. Plus the wattage handling capability @ 150W x 4 would be overkill.





    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Yup the 15 instead of 16 ohms on the label was a thing with all older Rola Celestion stickered speakers... don't mind it, 15/16 same difference, and the 15 label is just additional proof of vintage authenticity


    Redbacks, the idea is to replace 8x12 with 2x12 or 4x12 with 1x12 imho

    For the weight-averse, there's also an upcoming 12" neodymium 250w speaker
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

  10. #30
    Super Toneologist fab.regnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,138

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    I also had a marshall cab with gt-75 , and they are good for rhythm , but too scooped for good leads .
    I didn't like the honky mid of the Vintage 30 and the basses a bit muddy , so I tried the Classic leads and like them .
    The bass are punchy with a lot of low mids , mids are natural with punch as well , highs are not gritty , and you get this impression of fluidity when chorusing .
    They are very versatile , but probably not the best for all kind of music .
    For scooped metal gt-75 , V-30 are more popular .
    Classic leads are more refined I would say , but so punchy though .
    Last edited by fab.regnaut; 01-14-2019 at 12:17 PM.

  11. #31
    Toneologist kingswebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Last night i posted this in the wrong thread... it should have gone into this thread. Here it is:

    Tonight i was able to A/B compare the two 65s i just acquired against two of the stock T-75s. It was an interesting experience. At first i didn't hear much difference. Then i decided to spend some time concentrating only on the 65s, tweaking the EQs of my setup to maximize what the 65s had to offer. I noticed the 65s offered more frequencies within the Mids spectrum, and the low end was bigger but tighter. While the 65s "more" Mids wasn't a desired aspect for me, when i finally switched back over to the two T-75s - it was finally apparent to me what some people have said as far as weaknesses of the T75 speaker. While i still like the idea of the "less" Mids aspect of the T75 speaker, i could finally hear how the T75s Mids were also very thin and "plastic-y" in their nature. And it jumped out to me how the 75s low end was sort of thin compared to the 65s.

    I need to spend more time with them, but so far i think the 65s' low end resolves the original complaint i had with the T75s' low end (i.e
    It seemed loose and sometimes boomy). And while i still think the 65's Mids need some taming, they seem to sound more natural than the T75s. I could see these 2 speakers working well together, mixed together in the same cabinet, vs using 4 of either one.

    More to come after more time spent with them

  12. #32
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    In a Studio with your Mom
    Posts
    4,212

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    I'd definitely mix in 30s or 50s with 75s

    Cabinets that are all 75 or even 70 -sound way too modern for my tastes. -not enough mid range personality IMO

  13. #33
    Super Toneologist fab.regnaut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    France
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,138

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Good clip and comparison with the Classic Lead :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFKZx0z_Fe0

    Another one here where you can here very distinct lead voices at 2:40 ( where the CL80 shines ) :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzAsdyVA_Vc

    The Celestion V30 vs Classic Lead , to achieve the Classic lead porn :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC-Mh5wbwYQ
    Last edited by fab.regnaut; 01-23-2019 at 03:45 AM.

  14. #34
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Van Noord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    METAL INDIGNATION!
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,922

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    What I like about T75s is that I can absolutely drench them with my amp's midrange and they won't get overbearing. Whereas with my V30s and other midrange heavier/rich speakers I always seem to pull back my amp's mid dial because I'm getting enough from the speakers already.
    T75's also handle very high volume very well, being high wattage, lower efficiency with restrained mids that are able to be really pushed, and having big lows and cutting highs.
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••


  15. #35
    Mojo's Minions dave74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Illi-ana line road, USA
    Posts
    3,361

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by fab.regnaut View Post
    Good clip and comparison with the Classic Lead :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFKZx0z_Fe0
    The blends almost always sound best IMO.

    I bet m65 and t75 would make a great blend too.
    K/V is the most rude in-your-face blend I've tried yet.
    V is so up-front in it's EQ, and K adds a firm solid definition across the entire spectrum.

    Running the K alone I tend to use a bit more gain to saturate, and running V alone I tend to reduce gain (in comparison to the K) for the sake of clarity.
    With the blend I can use the most gain from the pedals/amp because the K provides clarity no matter how saturated the V gets.
    There are a few quality cab builders using that mix now, for good reason. Plus they're both rated high db and wattage.

  16. #36
    Toneologist kingswebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    766

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by dave74 View Post
    The blends almost always sound best IMO.

    I bet m65 and t75 would make a great blend too.
    K/V is the most rude in-your-face blend I've tried yet.
    V is so up-front in it's EQ, and K adds a firm solid definition across the entire spectrum.

    Running the K alone I tend to use a bit more gain to saturate, and running V alone I tend to reduce gain (in comparison to the K) for the sake of clarity.
    With the blend I can use the most gain from the pedals/amp because the K provides clarity no matter how saturated the V gets.
    There are a few quality cab builders using that mix now, for good reason. Plus they're both rated high db and wattage.
    I have had a single Celestion V Type speaker sitting around in a box that i decided to load up and give a spin last night. I placed it above a T75, and ran just those 2 speakers in the demo, with some boxes placed in front of the T75 in an attempt to hear just the V Type above. Wow - like you said above - that V Type is "so up-front" and "rude" in its EQ profile - a lot of treble/mids... for distortion rythyms, it's filthy in a good way. I also noticed a big dropout in the V Type's low end compared to my experisnces with the 12-65 and the T75.

    I then moved away the boxes that were blocking the sound from the T75 and the combo of the V Type and T75 sounded great at first but then after i made some EQ tweaks it didnt sound so great and i couldnt find my way back to the EQ settings that seemed to work at first. It was getting late and i think i was getting ear fatigue. Looking fwd to trying the combo out again in next day or two, plus in combination with the two 12-65s loaded in the right side of the cab.

    But man, how different that V Type was!

    Also keeping my eyes open for a used Classic Lead 80 to acquire and test while i am in speaker-trying mode....

  17. #37
    Mojo's Minions
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,743

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRose View Post
    Interesting info in this thread. Whenever I get some spare cash . (someday..... maybe....) I want to swap the 75s out of my Avatar 2x12 and also try diff speakers in my Carvin 4x12. I dont believe I had ever even heard of the Classic Lead 80s.. Yet the Avatar site says " a firm favorite" . Most speaker talk revolves around V30s, greenbacks or creambacks..

    Also, I didnt know the Splawn small blocks were greenback replicas or made by Eminence. I think that is what is in my splawn cab..

    My mind has been boggled for years as to what to try in those cabs...
    CL80's are an allegedly bastardized and definitely Chinese cousin of old UK-made G12-80's / still UK-made Mesa C90's

    Comparison vids favor the G12-80 and C90..... at $125-150 new for the China Celestion vs. $145 new for the Mesa Celestion UK, you know what to get. And used C90's are widely available affordably due to the "Mesa cab = V30's" metalheads
    Last edited by Adieu; 01-24-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

  18. #38
    Ultimate Tone Slacker Jacew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    2,471

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by kingswebe View Post
    I run a Marshall 1960A 4x12 cabinet, currently loaded with 4 Celestion G12T-75s.

    The problem I have with the G12T-75s is that the low end can get too boomy. [EDIT: boomy not just on the distortion channel of the amp, but even on the clean channel]. So I'd like something that is tighter in the lows. I play metal, so the replacement speaker also has to respond well to me scooping the mids via the amp's EQ controls.

    I had previously A/Bed at the same time, one 4x12 with G12T-75s against another 4x12 with Vintage 30s, and i did not like the Vintage 30's famous mid spike, so the Vintage 30 is not a candidate in my mind.

    Thanks
    Eminence Wizard could be a good candidate too. They are based of G12H, but Eminence versions usually more an tighter lows, might be just what you described wanting.

    G12H does both, clean and overdrive really well. Celestion being more 70's rock type of speaker they might not have as much tightness you want.
    Last edited by Jacew; 01-25-2019 at 02:24 AM.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

  19. #39
    Mojo's Minions dave74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Illi-ana line road, USA
    Posts
    3,361

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Quote Originally Posted by kingswebe View Post
    I have had a single Celestion V Type speaker sitting around in a box that i decided to load up and give a spin last night. I placed it above a T75, and ran just those 2 speakers in the demo, with some boxes placed in front of the T75 in an attempt to hear just the V Type above. Wow - like you said above - that V Type is "so up-front" and "rude" in its EQ profile - a lot of treble/mids... for distortion rythyms, it's filthy in a good way. I also noticed a big dropout in the V Type's low end compared to my experisnces with the 12-65 and the T75.

    I then moved away the boxes that were blocking the sound from the T75 and the combo of the V Type and T75 sounded great at first but then after i made some EQ tweaks it didnt sound so great and i couldnt find my way back to the EQ settings that seemed to work at first. It was getting late and i think i was getting ear fatigue. Looking fwd to trying the combo out again in next day or two, plus in combination with the two 12-65s loaded in the right side of the cab.

    But man, how different that V Type was!

    Also keeping my eyes open for a used Classic Lead 80 to acquire and test while i am in speaker-trying mode....
    I was actually meaning k85/100 and v30 (K and V).

    I have a friend who was using the V-type in his 212 for awhile gigging 80s/90s rock-metal stuff. He basically describes them about like you did.
    V-like but not quite a UK v30.

  20. #40
    Mojo's Minions Gtrjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Wherever you go, there you are.
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Recommendations for replacement for G12T-75 speaker

    Yes, I forgot about the Eminence. The Wizard is a great speaker and might be right for this application.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •