Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DS-1 Mods

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
    Be careful and don't overheat the solder pads on the board. They WILL lift. So while it is easy like swapping a pickup, there is that. And if it happens, then you need to run a short lead from that pad to the next one. Been there, done that.
    This would be my fear...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Mononoaware View Post
      Btw, if you're looking for a used Boss pedal's year of manufacture, I found this cool little resource. DOM by serial number:
      http://www.stompboxzone.com/decoder/boss_decoder.php

Thanks for the heads up on this . My DS-1 was made Apr, 2003

EZ :

HR
      It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

I did the "MOSFET" mod a while back. It's pretty cool! You remove D4 and D5 and replace with 2 IRF520 MOSFETs. This makes the pedal more "amp-like". Definitely way less harsh and the output is massively increased I believe.

One tip I would give that is not mentioned in the mod link below is to put electrical tape or preferably heat-shrink tubing over the ends of the MOSFET components. I found out that due to the tall nature of the MOSFET components they will potentially short out inside the metal pedal housing unless protected.

Good luck. And yes, this will get you going in pedal mods and builds. And because used DS-1s are so cheap, what's the risk?

Boss pedals’ ruggedness and reliability have made them staples on professional pedalboards for decades, but by switching just a few components you can unleash their best possible characteristics.
        Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.

Comment

Bump for recent mod thread
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
          X