Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DS-1 Mods

Unseen

Default Re: DS-1 Mods

Many years ago I made some modifications...I forgot most as I did not write it down, but here is the pictures of the DS-1 that has all of the mods I made...
    Some are the same as you can find online, the fat mod and all of that, but I did take it further and changed the eq as well and the reduced the lowend and made it more middy(alot).
    Gained it down alot by trimming the Q2 like in the fat mod that Erik talks about....
    Got pictures of the thing though...the diodes I changed for two BC550C where I cut the collector and used the emitter and the base(leg 1 needs to be cutted, the flat side against you and it is the outer left leg, and mount them back to back).
    The OP-amp is a BA728N in this one, this pedal is from 2000.
    Mind you this one is not all that gainy anymore, but it is quite dynamic and oldschool sounding, I have kept it for 19 years and still uses it...
    If you want more drive just trim the Q2 less hard.
    This link has some tips on the eq thing, almost the same...but this one has a trimmer.....I think I changed both the cap and the resistors, makes it go from fat mids to thin...
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Boss-DS-1-grit-mod/
    Attachment 95488Attachment 95489Attachment 95490
    Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 01-23-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Since I haven't made it to the store to buy the list of components I need, I started with pulling D4 and D5. Definitely cleans it up, brings it more into OD territory. I still intend to do some more swapping, but combined I'm digging it as is. With the volume around 3:00, tone at 10:30, and drive around 1:00, it seems like it just brings out everything I love about the Strat & Super. Feeding the Green Rhino into it, and it's a gnarly Texas tone that's still super dynamic and volume knob sensitive. The Soul Food works with it really well, too. All three is nuts and produces endless sustain with the Super on 2. It still sounds like a Strat, but not much dynamics left (three drive pedals are turned on, no ****, Sherlock

Anyway, the D4 and D5 mod is great, unless you're trying to use the DS-1 as your only source of drive.

I picked up a $20 DS-1 in a pawn shop a couple weeks back. I plan on modding it. I've also picked up a TR-2, BF-2, and a BD-2 that I think i'm going to tinker with. I'm really excited about working on this stuff

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Sounds cool... hit me up if you need mods for any of those.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

I wish I had the stones to try modding pedals.. I have a DS1 that Spina did for me and its awesome. Sent me back a whole bag of parts he swapped out..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

It’s not much harder than installing a pickup.

The TR-2 benefits greatly from a volume mod. The BF-2 I wouldn't be inclined to mod. It's great as-is and doesn't need anything, IMO. The BD-2 is a good one to try different diodes and diode combinations in.

Be careful and don't overheat the solder pads on the board. They WILL lift. So while it is easy like swapping a pickup, there is that. And if it happens, then you need to run a short lead from that pad to the next one. Been there, done that.

Good call. My first Crybaby looked like spaghetti inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    The TR-2 benefits greatly from a volume mod. The BF-2 I wouldn't be inclined to mod. It's great as-is and doesn't need anything, IMO. The BD-2 is a good one to try different diodes and diode combinations in.

Be careful and don't overheat the solder pads on the board. They WILL lift. So while it is easy like swapping a pickup, there is that. And if it happens, then you need to run a short lead from that pad to the next one. Been there, done that.
    Erik, do you have a schematic or layout for the TR-2 volume mod? That's the very first mod I was going to do to it. Something to get my feet a little wet before I start trying to do crazy things to it. I love the JHS mod that eventually became the Honeycomb tremolo and may try it later but I have to fix the perceived volume drop before anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Dylan
    It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Quote Originally Posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
    Erik, do you have a schematic or layout for the TR-2 volume mod? That's the very first mod I was going to do to it. Something to get my feet a little wet before I start trying to do crazy things to it. I love the JHS mod that eventually became the Honeycomb tremolo and may try it later but I have to fix the perceived volume drop before anything else.
    I don't have a schematic for the TR-2 but assuming it is a thru-hole component board still and not too recent, check R9. If it is 10K, reduce it to 6.8K. Any lower than that will give it too much of a boost.

Professional Scapegoat BloodRose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ErikH View Post
    This would be my fear...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Thumbs up Re: DS-1 Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Mononoaware View Post
    Btw, if you're looking for a used Boss pedal's year of manufacture, I found this cool little resource. DOM by serial number:
    http://www.stompboxzone.com/decoder/boss_decoder.php

Thanks for the heads up on this . My DS-1 was made Apr, 2003

EZ :

HR
    It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

I did the "MOSFET" mod a while back. It's pretty cool! You remove D4 and D5 and replace with 2 IRF520 MOSFETs. This makes the pedal more "amp-like". Definitely way less harsh and the output is massively increased I believe.

One tip I would give that is not mentioned in the mod link below is to put electrical tape or preferably heat-shrink tubing over the ends of the MOSFET components. I found out that due to the tall nature of the MOSFET components they will potentially short out inside the metal pedal housing unless protected.

Good luck. And yes, this will get you going in pedal mods and builds. And because used DS-1s are so cheap, what's the risk?

https://reverb.com/news/simple-boss-...-stock-to-rock
    Put on your red shoes and dance the blues.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Bump for recent mod thread