DS-1 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DS-1 Mods

Gain is though to describe non-technically, since it’s been used to describe distortion with the advent of master volume amps. Gain really is a measure of extra level/volume. In a distortion pedal, that extra volume is then “clipped” by diodes to create distortion.

If you remove the clipping diodes the pedal gets a lot louder and the only distortion comes from the OpAmp that is amplifying the signal in the pedal.

A popular mod is to replace the clipping diodes with LEDs (Keeley Seeing Eye Mod) as it gives a louder, less compressed signal, and it responds differently than the stock silicon diodes.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

My DS-1 should be arriving monday, can't wait to crack into it!
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

You obviously now need to buy 2/3 more to try more of the mods lol

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          So - is this really that hard to do? Pretty sure I can clip a D4/D5 - whatever they are.
          It’s literally cutting two components. Not even unsoldering or anything.

Comment

Btw, if you're looking for a used Boss pedal's year of manufacture, I found this cool little resource. DOM by serial number:

Comment

Many years ago I made some modifications...I forgot most as I did not write it down, but here is the pictures of the DS-1 that has all of the mods I made...
              Some are the same as you can find online, the fat mod and all of that, but I did take it further and changed the eq as well and the reduced the lowend and made it more middy(alot).
              Gained it down alot by trimming the Q2 like in the fat mod that Erik talks about....
              Got pictures of the thing though...the diodes I changed for two BC550C where I cut the collector and used the emitter and the base(leg 1 needs to be cutted, the flat side against you and it is the outer left leg, and mount them back to back).
              The OP-amp is a BA728N in this one, this pedal is from 2000.
              Mind you this one is not all that gainy anymore, but it is quite dynamic and oldschool sounding, I have kept it for 19 years and still uses it...
              If you want more drive just trim the Q2 less hard.
              This link has some tips on the eq thing, almost the same...but this one has a trimmer.....I think I changed both the cap and the resistors, makes it go from fat mids to thin...
              Boss DS-1 Grit Mod: The Boss DS-1 distortion pedal is a simple and cheap pedal with a fizzy high pitch distortion and a very scooped mid, the perfect starting point for some playing around. In this instructable I'll show you how to mod your boss ds-1 in only three step…

Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 01-23-2019, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Since I haven't made it to the store to buy the list of components I need, I started with pulling D4 and D5. Definitely cleans it up, brings it more into OD territory. I still intend to do some more swapping, but combined I'm digging it as is. With the volume around 3:00, tone at 10:30, and drive around 1:00, it seems like it just brings out everything I love about the Strat & Super. Feeding the Green Rhino into it, and it's a gnarly Texas tone that's still super dynamic and volume knob sensitive. The Soul Food works with it really well, too. All three is nuts and produces endless sustain with the Super on 2. It still sounds like a Strat, but not much dynamics left (three drive pedals are turned on, no ****, Sherlock

Anyway, the D4 and D5 mod is great, unless you're trying to use the DS-1 as your only source of drive.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I picked up a $20 DS-1 in a pawn shop a couple weeks back. I plan on modding it. I've also picked up a TR-2, BF-2, and a BD-2 that I think i'm going to tinker with. I'm really excited about working on this stuff

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                  Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                  It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Sounds cool... hit me up if you need mods for any of those.

Comment

I wish I had the stones to try modding pedals.. I have a DS1 that Spina did for me and its awesome. Sent me back a whole bag of parts he swapped out..
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

It’s not much harder than installing a pickup.

Comment

The TR-2 benefits greatly from a volume mod. The BF-2 I wouldn't be inclined to mod. It's great as-is and doesn't need anything, IMO. The BD-2 is a good one to try different diodes and diode combinations in.

Be careful and don't overheat the solder pads on the board. They WILL lift. So while it is easy like swapping a pickup, there is that. And if it happens, then you need to run a short lead from that pad to the next one. Been there, done that.

Comment

Good call. My first Crybaby looked like spaghetti inside.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                              The TR-2 benefits greatly from a volume mod. The BF-2 I wouldn't be inclined to mod. It's great as-is and doesn't need anything, IMO. The BD-2 is a good one to try different diodes and diode combinations in.

Be careful and don't overheat the solder pads on the board. They WILL lift. So while it is easy like swapping a pickup, there is that. And if it happens, then you need to run a short lead from that pad to the next one. Been there, done that.
                              Erik, do you have a schematic or layout for the TR-2 volume mod? That's the very first mod I was going to do to it. Something to get my feet a little wet before I start trying to do crazy things to it. I love the JHS mod that eventually became the Honeycomb tremolo and may try it later but I have to fix the perceived volume drop before anything else.
                              Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                              It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret View Post
                                Erik, do you have a schematic or layout for the TR-2 volume mod? That's the very first mod I was going to do to it. Something to get my feet a little wet before I start trying to do crazy things to it. I love the JHS mod that eventually became the Honeycomb tremolo and may try it later but I have to fix the perceived volume drop before anything else.
                                I don't have a schematic for the TR-2 but assuming it is a thru-hole component board still and not too recent, check R9. If it is 10K, reduce it to 6.8K. Any lower than that will give it too much of a boost.

Comment

Working...
                                X