Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hows does your brain work

Originally posted by Gransen View Post
    The first part of your reply is why I compared your visualization technique to the uniquely creative. I get what you're saying, but I need a road map to do the same thing. I'm getting better at what you do naturally, but you do it naturally whereas I needed a road map to get me started.

The last part about Ionian is something like how I see the my stops on the road map. I just stay with the Ionian interval numbering system, and then I'm calling the root in Phrygian mode "3".
    Nah. Nothing related to guitar playing came naturally to me. Took years of learning and like I said it's still "work in progress".

I just started learning it that way because learning dozens of shapes seemed much more difficult and time consuming.

EDIT: just noted i wrote earlier "anything" instead on "nothing" in the first sentence which i was supposed to write
    Last edited by Jacew; 02-11-2019, 01:19 PM.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      Nah. Anything related to guitar playing came naturally to me. Took years of learning and like I said it's still "work in progress".

I just started learning it that way because learning dozens of shapes seemed much more difficult and time consuming.
      When you said that you learned the first shape and went from there, I was like, yeah, I get it. It takes a certain level of creativity, but not at the "genius" level if you needed the first pattern to get you started, and it's still a work in progress. But I know a guy who can play virtually any instrument in the world, and plays piano like your momma wouldn't know! His mom said, "I bought some sheet music to a song I heard and love. Can you play it for me...???" He looked at it, smiled and said, "Yeah, that's a nice song!"

Then he SLAMMED out an EXTREMELY complex piece of classical music...that he'd never even heard of until that very moment. Then he finished and said, "I have to work on it, but that wasn't bad for the first time through."

I'll bet you a dollar that he sees things differently when he looks at a fretboard.

Comment

How does my brain work...???

The B-D-A-E chord prog mystery...SOLVED!!!

Me speaking to myself: "Dude, just figure out what intervals are needed to give you those 4 majors...then look up that scale online!!!"

That would be the sixth mode of the Locrian Natural 7 scale, called "Dominate #2." The intervals are: 1, #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7.

It's a boogy woogy sounding heptatonic bluesy major scale...after the first interval, there's a three semitone gap, then three semitones in a row. But it's not like the "blues scale," which is a bit more moody. This is more "boogy woogy." That's NOT the vibe that I got from listening to that diddy in a commercial decades ago, so they must have omitted, like either the 3rd or the 4th interval from the lead in order to keep it more "natural major" sounding.

Welp, along the way getting here, I figured out a nice fill for that one: when going from A to E, just hit the bottom 4 open strings real quick, and the fill is now a G6 chord. Okay, great! This is fun...!!!

HEY, THERE'S NO "G" IN B DOMINATE #2...!!! So, if I uses that fill, I'm going to be stepping all over the lead part...and I can't just flat the 6th interval or I'll turn my Emaj into Emin.

So, now it's time to walk away and work on other stuff. I'm not convinced of this scale just yet, so it has to go on hold.

Comment

The B-D-A-E chord prog mystery...SOLVED!!!

That would be the sixth mode of the Locrian Natural 7 scale, called "Dominate #2." The intervals are: 1, #2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7.

So, now it's time to walk away and work on other stuff. I'm not convinced of this scale just yet, so it has to go on hold.
          The chord prog is fairly hard driving...all majors. Uplifting, like: "let's go have some fun!"

On lead, if I drop the 3rd and 6th intervals, I'm playing the Pentatonic Minor...against a major chord progression. I bet that works on vocals too...

Tried to walk away, just had to hack out the intervals that sound good on lead before I go to bed, and next thing I know, I'm like, "HEY, I KNOW THAT SCALE...!!!"

Dingity f'ing dangit...!!! A goal in life was to figure out how to run the pentatonic minor against a major chord progression. Never thought much about it past that. Now I can scratch that off my bucket list. Welp, I gotta hit the sack...GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

A goal in life was to figure out how to run the pentatonic minor against a major chord progression.
            So . . . like pretty much every blues tune ever? :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

This is your brain... this is your brain while trying to learn a solo....

I think burnout is a real thing. If you sit for too long working on something, you just won't be productive anymore. I like to work on more complicated things in steps and never try to tackle the whole thing at once. Get a metronome and work through things methodically. You will get way better results that way. At least I do.
              The Gear:

1995 Gibson SG, 1991 Gibson Lucille, 2005 Fender Strat Custom, 1989 Ibanez Jem, And many more....

"It is true. I never practice guitar or take guitar lessons. From time to time I open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat."

-Wes Montgomery

Comment

Working...
              X