banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD friendly forum solo contest 2 ~ Alternate. reject & fail takes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD friendly forum solo contest 2 ~ Alternate. reject & fail takes!

You asked for it.
    https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/bounce06
    https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/bounce05
    https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/bounce03fail3

Comment

Nice!

03/fail3 is the winner for me.
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I just keep trying. Perfection is a dynamic state.
        That being said, I love my Line 6 Spidervalve head through my 2X12 Texas Heat/Swamp Thang cab. I'd be willing to bet that it would do a large room without being mic'd.

Comment

Not a big deal to most here I would expect but my first arpeggio and double string bends:

This "just happened" while I was practicing this morning "as if by magic".

Far from perfect. But as soon as the brain has had time to absorb: should sound good.

Idea being to incorporate some of this stuff into my final version of my contest submission.

Comment

Yeah, the more you improvise the more things tend to "just happen"..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
              Not a big deal to most here I would expect but my first arpeggio and double string bends:

This "just happened" while I was practicing this morning "as if by magic".

Far from perfect. But as soon as the brain has had time to absorb: should sound good.

Idea being to incorporate some of this stuff into my final version of my contest submission.
              Hey you got potential, keep it up bro! That sounded nice and natural.

Comment

Thought I'd try hooking up my Laboga head to my looper and jam another bluesy/shred solo..someting went wrong though. Apart from the amp feeding back in places, the solo got recorded on the left channel and the Rhythm (with the solo mixed in really low) on the right (?!?!)

Thankfully it was still usable after I added another rhythm track and panned that to the left keeping the other rhythm channel where it was on the right. The solo then went in the middle and everything got bounced together. Decent patch up job... though it still sounds a bit iffy..

Not a bad solo ..too bad about the technical difficulties..

EDIT:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Loop_Track_ScreenShot.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5813059

That's what it looked like before ...wtf?
                Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-27-2019, 01:25 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                  If I'm trying to record a part and after 10 takes it still doesn't sound right, I'm probably trying to force something that isn't me as a guitar player. Play to your strengths, and avoid your weaknesses when recording . . . and this will be a bit different for everyone. Most people would rather listen to a confident sounding simple pentatonic riff played well than a strict alternate picked string skipping Locrian/Phyrigian dominant one that the guitarist can barely squeeze out. It's only music nerds who care about the latter - and they're going to be unhappy with whatever you play anyway. :P

Perfect is the enemy of good. Knock it out and move on. If you can't quite nail the vibe of what you were working on, woodshed it so next time is better.

One of the things I find helps when I just keep going over something/overthinking is to put the guitar down and just sing or hum the part. It usually cleans up the clutter and focuses whatever musical thought I am trying to get across.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I think I'm "made" (as in "constructed") a little different.

Whenever I muck about with something original: I always find that my very first few takes sound pretty darn good even although the entire arrangement or idea is not quite in place. From that point on: things for some reason appear to go downhill for a while. But if I keep at it then things come back to the way they started and then start improving in leaps and bounds until the end "product" as it were (which is, of course, complete and has been finessed by that point). I never walk away from something or shelve it because with me I find that becomes permanent.

I made light of the fact that my (current) solo submission was over two hundred takes but if the truth be told it was probably double that (at some point about half way through I started using a different project file and my DAW was keeping count). Very soon after I'd put the "beginnings" together: even although the whole thing wasn't nicely strung together as yet it sounded alright. As I then went through the process of tidying it up and hooking everything up nice it sort of went downhill (to the point where I was pretty much tearing my hair out). But then things started to recover, sort of surpassed its humble beginnings and, well, what I uploaded was the end result (which, tone and a very few other one or two things aside, I'm pretty happy with).

I find the exact same thing with amp. presets or mixes and the like i.e. normally my first edits are the best. The moment I try getting the "better" then thing go awry. But eventually I'll get back to the starting point and better. Pretty strange (I think). But: it's obviously my "personal workflow" and what (eventually) gets me to where I want to be.

But an overriding factor is to all of this is to take breaks for sure. Could be a few hours. In my case usually a few days is what seems to make the difference. I know that during the breaks I'm consciously (and probably subconsciously too) picturing the notes and "hearing" what I want to eventually be able to get out there. Most times after such breaks: stuff then just happens "as if by magic". Never ceases to amaze or thrill me to be honest.

Comment

I find if I keep going over and over and over a piece it starts to feel like overchewed food
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

You checking the actual solo contest thread??? Hope so.........

Comment

Working...
                        X