DiMarzio Pickups For RG450DXB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Pickups For RG450DXB?

I got a new RG as a birthday present and was wondering what to do with the pickups. I'm looking for versatility so that this guitar can do pop, punk, surf, hair metal, country, classic rock, blues, and everything inbetween.

The set I'm considering now is Gravity Storm neck, True Velvet middle, and Breed bridge. The wiring I'm considering is auto-split in 2 and 4, but the knob that is now the tone control is a spin a split for positions 1 and 5.

Any advice?

Re: DiMarzio Pickups For RG450DXB?

I thought the Breed Bridge sounded very bland/boring in my RG450. It sounds great in my alder Jackson DK2M. I like the Air Zone, tone Zone, and Fred much better in my RG450. I like the Area 61 and VV54 pro middles better than the True Velvet, and they are also hum cancelling. They balance better in output with the humbuckers too. Never tried the Gravity Storm Neck, but I like the Paf Pro and Paf Joe in the neck of mine. I have heard good things about the Gravity Storm Neck. All this is my opinion mind you, and others will advise differently.

Comment

What about the Area 67 for the middle and the Dominion for the bridge? I've heard good things about both.

Comment

What can I expect from the Gravity Storm/Area 67/Dominion combo? What Duncans could it be compared to?

Comment

There are no Duncan equivalents really...closest would probably be Custom / SSL-1 / A2Pro Neck?

Have you tried the guitar with the stock Quantum pickups? They're not too shabby for stock pickups! Plus, you can mag-swap them for cheap. An A5 in the bridge and an A2 in the neck might do you well.

If you've tried the stock pickups already, what are you looking to improve upon?

When I read your description, I immediately think: JB (wired for coil split) / SSL-1 or -4 or -5 / Pearly Gates Neck
          Last edited by Masta' C; 02-01-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks, but I was under the impression that the Gravity Storm and Domimion were both thick, moderate/high output pickups with a quick, single coil type attack. From your description of the Dominion it sounds like it might not be as thick as I had hoped. Am I far off here?

As for why I'm changing them, I thought the Quantums were meh at best in this guitar. So I figured I'd look for a versatile set of HSH pickups that would work well with my wire scheme.

Comment

You're pretty close with your assumptions about the DiMarzios. I will say that I don't remember much "single coil type attack" from the Dominion neck, though, except when split, which is really nice on that pickup.

In my post above, I was saying that there are really no Duncan equivalents for those particular pickups and that, for the ridiculously wide variety of styles you are looking to cover in one set, I would suggest the JB/SSL-X/PGN combo from the Duncan side of things because it literally covers everything listed, including "hair metal" and "country". Also, you could substitute a Screamin' Demon in the neck spot to get a bit closer to the Dominion's output.

If you're set on DiMarzios, then I think you have some cool pickups picked out. Best bet now is just to try them and report back if they don't give you what you need.

Comment

Working...
              X