Atomic Punkk???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atomic Punkk???

No idea who the dude/dudes is/are i.e. SoundCloud auto played this track after I'd finished listening to one of the solo submissions:

Figured it's really good enough to give him/them a punt.

Like the idea of the "Moonshine/Country/Hillbilly" intro. and then on to "you know what"!!! LOL!!!

Nice tone. Good mix. Timing a bit out in places. Still. Nice sound first thing in the morning!!! LOL!!!

Carry on.

Another one:

Re: Atomic Punkk???

Well, I like both tunes.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That's John Jolly! Someone get him in here.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Yeah, that's our Jolly, great stuff. The first one reminds me of Zakk Wylde's Pride and Glory stuff, I mean that as a compliment!

Comment

I assume he is a forum member???

Seriously good sh*t overall including, but not limited to, an awesome guitar tone.

Comment

He is one of the spiritual / attitude foundations of this forum from back in the '90s, my good mate Jolly. He was one of the reasons I decided to join back in time as reading his flat-out brilliant stories and comments totally cracked me, eh... 20+ years ago?!? Dammit!

Y'all are old

Jolly is an awesome guy with kickass rock playing.
            Last edited by NecroPolo; 02-07-2019, 11:06 AM.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Originally posted by NecroPolo View Post
              He is one of the spiritual / attitude foundations of this forum from back in the '90s, my good mate Jolly. He was one of the reasons I decided to join back in time as reading his flat-out brilliant stories and comments totally cracked me, eh... 20+ years ago?!? Dammit!

Y'all are old

Jolly is an awesome guy with kickass rock playing.
              43? You young 'un! You were still using a training capo when you joined!
              Last edited by devastone; 02-07-2019, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                Like the idea of the "Moonshine/Country/Hillbilly" intro. and then on to "you know what"!!! LOL!!!
                I like how us rock and metal players say "bluegrass music!"

The first one is awesome! It sort of reminds me of Volbeat's Doc Holiday. I like well-composed tunes that mashup multiple genres. I'm currently learning sitar music so that I can mash that up with REAL music...!!! Haven't figured the mashup out yet, still working on the sitar licks...

Comment

Just listened again.

Man I'd love to know all that was used.

And I'm hearing this i.e. later Dio with Sabbath (and believe me I don't use Dio's name lightly) particularly on the second track:

Man. Give me this guy in a studio with a good vocalist and I'll make him famous!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    43? You young 'un! You still using a training capo when you joined!
                    Yes Sir, I was training capos at the time Sir
                    Wackor
                    Ørdøg
                    NecroPolo
                    Diabolus in Musica
                    SIDrip Alliance
                    Book of Shadows
                    RKH

Comment

Far out. I saw "Atomic Punkk", and I thought, surely I'm the only one as far as this forum is consisted of....lol

Yeah, that's me, and I am freakin' blown away at the fact that you like/liked it. I really appreciate it!! That means alot to me.

I'll answer any questions that you have about any of the music.

Let me see what I can remember about all of that.

The intro was my Taylor 314ce 30th anniversary plugged directly in to my recording console. It is an old school Roland VS-1880. I usually mic my acoustics, but I had a buzz that day and went for the simple way of recording.

The Fiddle sound is me playing a Brian Moore i.813 guitar, or whatever the hell it's called through a Roland GR-33 Guitar Synthesizer.

The guitars are most likely my Charvel Style 2 2H with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. It would have been double tracked with my Eleven Rack with probably a modeled DC Modern SOD with bass, mid, an treble on 7, and the master at around 5, and the pre around 4 or so. It would have also been used with a modeled greenback 4x12 cab.

The drums on all of my crap are always me playing in realtime on an old Boss-DR-770 that I programmed my own drum tones in. The reason they sound not perfect is because they aren't....lol. I set the pads up like a drum kit, and I sit there and tap the pads as if they were a drum kit, and I use a pedal for the kick drum.

The bass was one of my Spector Classics and I most likely had the preamp set with the treble maxed, and the bass about 3/4 of the way up. The bass would have been played through my Eleven Rack as well with a modeled SVT and 8x10.

If there's anything else I can help you with, just let me know.

Feel free to send any private messages or whatever.

Thanks,

Jolly
                      Last edited by JOLLY; 02-07-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

As far as the second track...........I recorded that as kind of an homage to Metallica and the Kill Em' All record. It was basically just some crap that I came up with and it reminded me of that record, and I went for a Dave Ellefson type bass tone with it.
                        Last edited by JOLLY; 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Hey Jolly.

A pleasure to make your acquaintance. And thanks for responding. You sure do seem to be a legend around these parts based on the comments above!!! LOL!!!

As I said: SoundCloud just started playing the stuff automatically yesterday after I'd been listening to the Solo Contest entries. Actually is was hidden behind the forums screens and it started play and I thought "what the fu*k is THAT man"??? LOL!!!) (it just so happened my output was set to my PA at the time which helped!!! LOL!!!). Not sure why this happened i.e. could be because some members here are subscribed to you channel or because I'm subscribed to @LLL's channnel. Who knows.

Listen up: I've not listened to your other stuff on SoundCloud but will for sure. As I've already noted though: man those two tracks above are really good in every sense of the word.

Thanks for the gear info. Took a look at that Eleven Rack. Nice. But then again it's Avid so there you go (and I know some may have an issue with that comment but Avid has been around a long long time and have produced some seriously professional stuff especially when it comes to video so I make the assumption that the Eleven Rack is just as classy). Anyways. Monster sound you got going there. And very very nice. Does it for me anyway (obviously)!!! LOL!!!

Gear aside: that stuff is mixed real nice (was it mastered and, if so, with what???).

Gear aside (once again): it's "listenable" (as opposed to simply being "technical show").
                          Last edited by dpaterson; 02-08-2019, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                            As far as the second track...........I recorded that as kind of an homage to Metallica and the Kill Em' All record. It was basically just some crap that I came up with and it reminded me of that record, and I went for a Dave Ellefson type bass tone with it.
                            I'm glad that you said that. Listening to it makes me think, "Metallica ripoff." But the first one makes me say, "Why does this guy need to ripoff Metallica...???"

The word is TRIBUTE, not RIPOFF, and that's a legit thing...and it's even more legit when there's a lot more than just tributes going on in the playlist.

Good on you for the Metallica tribute. To me, there's so much of that out there already that when I hear it, it kinda makes me question the performer, and how actually diverse they are. When I find out that they're actual musicians / song writers / recording artists, then I see a Metallica tribute as a brave move. You know, it's too easy to get compared to one of those guitar players on YouTube who are stuck worshiping at the alter of Hetfield & Hammett.

It honestly sounds different to me when I hear it that way. Now I'm not questioning the performer; but instead, critiquing the performance. And it's pretty good, pretty good even above and beyond as far as tribute mashups are concerned; which tend to get a bit tired, if you know what I mean.

Gransen says: Kill 'Em All = "Sucky Album." Great guitars, but the vocals are just not there, and they only work for me in a couple of songs. Great guitars though. Drums too...
                            Last edited by Gransen; 02-08-2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I still hear Dio. But then I hear Dio when I'm asleep too so there's that!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X