banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else have experience playing on fret?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else have experience playing on fret?

I doubt I am the first to develop this technique, however I've been working on an approach to play on the frets instead of between frets. When fretted cleanly directly on the fret, I'm getting a strong attack, fast decay tone that is very much like a double bass and wondering if anyone has developed any teaching around this approach?

I've tried this technique on 2 bright basses that have lots of sustain and it is amazing how this approach replicates a stand up bass with a really percussive attack and low sustain.

For years I have been planning to build an electric bass with these characteristics and never had time to start building. But I needed this tone for a project, I wondered what it would sound like and I was extremely happy with the results...

I imagine that this technique would only work with bases that are bright and sustaining because it greatly reduces sustain and brightness... would love to hear your experience...

Also, considering that I've spent most of my life trying to avoid touching frets, it took me a few days to perfect the tone.

Interested in your experience and appreciate any online resources.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: Anyone else have experience playing on fret?

No feedback and wondering if anyone has tried this?

Learned a little more but today... Wider, flat necks are better than thin, small radious. My 6 string is nearly perfect... Jbass, not so good.

Comment

Foam in the bridge or palm muting does a much better job IMO
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Kamanda, yeah foam works pretty good but I like the fact that I can switch back to normal tones on the fly.

I do palm mute a lot, but in my experience, it's a rather different timbre... It mutes everything, while on the fret allows the initial percussive, plucked transient to come through loud and clear, but sustain falls off rapidly.

Of course, no 2 bassists play exactly alike so I could be missing something.

Thy for input!

Comment

Working...
        X