X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

We can do THIS:

Main reason I included this:

Watch it very carefully. Some of this stuff was done in different takes (well overdubbed) i.e. the audio, with the exception of the drums, isn't exactly what's being shown in the video (talking specifically here of the guitar parts i.e. some of the vocals obviously just mimed). It is VERY well done and VERY subtle but if you look carefully you'll see what I mean. Point is: we CAN do THIS!!!

And I shall CALM DOWN now to a dull roar and wait for some further input on all of this.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM.

Comment

For the sake of interest and to obtain a pristine audio track of this thing I did a search. Boy was I surprised!!! Check the price at Amazon:

Somebody is taking the proverbial pi*s. At least I hope so. Because if the original in 1985/1986 sold for anything near that then I'm figuring they didn't sell too many copies.

Then again and according to the below the project raised $1M USD in a year.

Would be real curious to know just how much of that $1M USD (plus) actually filtered down (being sarcastic of course i.e. this is AFRIKA baby!!!).

And always nice to see Wendy milking the sacred Dio cow of course.

Hmmmnnn...

Brings me to a point:

If we do this are we gonna have copyright issues and what not??? Anybody know anything about this cr*p???

Comment

yes right! if Skolnik can do it then why can't we ? (attempt to humor!!)

Anyways regarding the cover of the original, there should be a clear sign : Ppl without sprayed hair, makeup and spandex are strictly forbidden !

but alright its doable ... fine idea by you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
          yes right! if Skolnik can do it then why can't we ? (attempt to humor!!)
          Agreed!!! LOL!!!

Managed to find a SEMI decent quality audio file so uploaded:

Been trying to count the number of solos from the file. Ahem... You're not kidding @LLL about the number of solos (parts). So far I don't have an accurate count.

And who is the clown with the whammy bar at 4:32 thru 4:40 or so??? LOL!!!

On a sidenote: good game to play i.e. identify your favorite guitarist from the solos!!! LOL!!! (I reckon I guess Vivian and Yngwie and that's about it). Suppose one could play the same game with the vocals (oddly enough I recognise a lot more of them and without cheating).

P.S.

By the way: the proper tempo (at least in the file above) for the song is 110 and not 105 (as per the GP file that I downloaded anyway).

P.P.S.

Not without competition. This just a quick Google search which churned out SoundCloud uploads:

Well I say that. One or two alright and passable. Most a joke.
          Last edited by dpaterson; 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Well. That's about as much fun as I can have with this on my own!!! Time to get back to my solo career while I eagerly await some input here.
            Last edited by dpaterson; 02-18-2019, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
              And who is the clown with the whammy bar at 4:32 thru 4:40 or so??? LOL!!!
              not someone with fixed bridge I guess

Comment

"clown with the whammy bar" - that could only be Brad Gillis (Mr. Whammy Bar)

He's quite tricksy with the whammy...

Comment

To encourage and wet some appetites here's the drum track using Vinnie's kit in BFD3.

Downloaded some or the other tab from Ultimate Guitar, pulled into GP7, exported to MIDI, pulled into Mixcraft Pro Studio 8.1, loaded BFD3 with Vinnie's kit, randomized ("humanized") the velocities, slapped Neutron 2 Advanced onto the track using "Added Snap" preset, and rendered to 44.1kHz/32-bit WAV file, then converted to MP3 44.1kHz/16-bit MP3 in SoundForge Pro 12. Obviously this just for demo. purposes i.e. the original WAV file is like 152MB big so that would have to be uploaded for collaboration for download.

Also happened to notice there are a sh*tpile of bars before the drum track even starts so there's that.

P.S.

Listening to that on my Alto PA with 2 x subs. It doesn't get more real than this short of having Vinnie sitting in here!!!

P.P.S.

And at 88.2kHz or 96kHz it's really pristine (reverb tails etc. are crystal clear and loads more air).

Anyways. If we were to do this then I reckon the drum track needs to be the yardstick/baseline right (that's the reason I'm banging on about the drum track)??? Also: the original tab/MIDI would have to be used in the beginning for the intros. right???
                  Hey that's cool!

The intro can be recorded on guitar too... or can be skipped entirely.

Again the tough part is the solos are a finite length per the original. If we are to have people here do solos (which we would obviously), the solo rhythm would need to be "broken up" (figuratively, not literally) into chunks and people would need to claim a chunk or multiple chunks and commit to them.

The problem I see if we do this for real is lack of participation enough to have solos from 10+ different players. I haven't counted all the solos from the real track but there's at least 10+. Look at the last "Friendly Solo Contest 2" and see how few contributed. We could double up (or more) of course on the solo chunks (per above) if necessary.

If we're talking about a full collaboration (singers, bass players included), that would probably be tough around these parts. For example, the Tips and Clips section doesn't get much action at all compared to Off Topic (in other words, people are more interested in lots of talking/jibber jabbering and very little actual music action). Getting enough guitarists to contribute a solo chunk will be difficult enough.

My ultimate opinion is F it all, don't care... I would do it regardless of the lack of participation. I would volunteer to do all the rhythms for starters (since I already have a head start).

Comment

Hello.

Been monitoring this thread and was really getting worried about no input. So very pleased you posted.

Well I’m game to throw in what I can however I can.

I need to put down some thoughts and will post them and let’s discuss further then.

As things stand now looks like we got a vocalist (@Beer$) and two guitarists (@LLL and @greekdude). But who knows: maybe if we start and upload progress then some will be more interested???

As I typed the above a thought occurred to me: could shorten the solo parts to sort of make it our own not??? In other words: if we end up with say four or five guitarists then there are only four or five different solo parts thus being a representation of OUR Stars (if that makes sense). The length of each solo part may then need to be changed so that the total length of the solo makes musical sense??? Unless as you say: double up on solo parts depending on participation or lack thereof.

Don’t get me wrong: while I’m all for producing a “perfect” cover of the song it’s certainly not the easiest song to cover “perfectly” given all that was involved in the original. So maybe better to make it OUR OWN Stars. That’s what Metal Allegiance did with “We Rock” really??? It wasn’t just a Dio cover but more of a showcase for each musician and artist and, of course, the song itself. So each contributing artist in our collaboration gets featured in the video???

But I am keen. Very keen.

As I say: lemme put some thoughts down for discussion and input.

Chat soonest.

P.S.

Not ignoring the content of your post above at all. Have comments of my own (also to follow).
                    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-18-2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I'd love to participate in any part assigned to me if I wasn't so vulnerable lately.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                        I'd love to participate in any part assigned to me if I wasn't so vulnerable lately.
                        Not sure what “if I wasn’t so vulnerable lately” means???

Does that mean you’re not currently in a position or don’t currently have the time to do this??? If this is the case: really no problem at all (but a great pity because your playing and technique is also unique and good).

But (and this would go for anybody interested really): with something such as this better to be straight up up front rather than pull out for whatever reasons after we’ve started.
                        Last edited by dpaterson; 02-19-2019, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Hello.

Been monitoring this thread and was really getting worried about no input. So very pleased you posted.

Well I’m game to throw in what I can however I can.

I need to put down some thoughts and will post them and let’s discuss further then.

As things stand now looks like we got a vocalist (@Beer$) and two guitarists (@LLL and @greekdude). But who knows: maybe if we start and upload progress then some will be more interested???

As I typed the above a thought occurred to me: could shorten the solo parts to sort of make it our own not??? In other words: if we end up with say four or five guitarists then there are only four or five different solo parts thus being a representation of OUR Stars (if that makes sense). The length of each solo part may then need to be changed so that the total length of the solo makes musical sense??? Unless as you say: double up on solo parts depending on participation or lack thereof.

Don’t get me wrong: while I’m all for producing a “perfect” cover of the song it’s certainly not the easiest song to cover “perfectly” given all that was involved in the original. So maybe better to make it OUR OWN Stars. That’s what Metal Allegiance did with “We Rock” really??? It wasn’t just a Dio cover but more of a showcase for each musician and artist and, of course, the song itself. So each contributing artist in our collaboration gets featured in the video???

But I am keen. Very keen.

As I say: lemme put some thoughts down for discussion and input.

Chat soonest.

P.S.

Not ignoring the content of your post above at all. Have comments of my own (also to follow).
                          Yeah, I was always with the intention of everyone doing their own solos. Still, that precludes everyone who wants to participate to make a commitment to a chunk (or chunks) because... the backing track has to fit *our* contributions' time length (not the original tune's length of course).

Unless we just do the backing track as is on the original and fit what we can in there...
                          Last edited by LLL; 02-18-2019, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Here's dpaterson's backing drums and my cheesy solo. First handful of notes in solo are similar to original; then I try to grab every note I can

This is a test. This is only a test...

Comment

Fu*k me!!! You’re a Master Blaster!!! LOL!!!

That sounds sooo good. That tone is magnificient (and spot on) as is the WIP solo. I can just hear and visualize the full potential.

Not even out of bed yet i.e. first thing I did when waking up was to reach for ye olde iPad and check this thread. Instant smile on the dial!!!

Needless to say I’ve not gotten all my thoughts down “on paper” as yet (although I probably dreamed about this sh*t last night).

SECOND thing (LOL!!!) that’s struck me this morning is that even “the usual suspects” seem to be steering clear of this thread??? Hmmmnnn...

Oh well.

Chat shortly.

Comment

Just listened again (well for about the tenth time this morning thus far). You got some serious technique and chops going there on that solo part. Maybe you’re scaring everybody away!!! LOL!!!

Well unless we get some takers for guitar and bass we may have to settle for you doing the lot with a pristine backing track and will just need to beg for a vocalist or six.

Maybe everybody has already taken a piece and is practicing and we’re gonna be inundated with “applications” to be a part of this!!! LOL!!! Yip. Forever the optimist. That’s me!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X