I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Also what about the clean and rythm parts? I can do clean and rythm.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
      Ok so breaking down of the solos has been done. Check.
      Now we need a decent backing track that covers the original (the long version, with the intro clean part included). I tried to put Dale's backing track along with the original in my DAW and there was no way I could get them synchronized. I (personally) am non-pro musician, not even hitech amateur , I work on Linux with Ardour and that's all. So no fancy Mac/MS programs here. Best case Riffstation under wine emulation.
      So, what's the next step? Dale where do we record? Weekend is coming, kids and wifey are gonna be sleeping, now its the time for some action!
      Really love your enthusiasm. It’s great.

Not done with separating ALL the solos as yet.

Alright. Time for me to do some serious work. I’ve only been messing around with that one MIDI track and I’m not sure if it’s the right one to use or the closest we can find to the original. Will spend some time on this now. Depending on what’s available we may have to compromise and adjust accordingly though. Or I can create an entire new MIDI backing track which is our own but do bear in mind that is definitely going to take some time. I could use Melodyne Studio to convert the original audio to MIDI but I know that there is a L-O-T of editing to be done to the resultant MIDI track i.e. it’s by no means a simple audio to MiDI conversion.

More to follow...

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
        Really love your enthusiasm. It’s great.

Not done with separating ALL the solos as yet.

Alright. Time for me to do some serious work. I’ve only been messing around with that one MIDI track and I’m not sure if it’s the right one to use or the closest we can find to the original. Will spend some time on this now. Depending on what’s available we may have to compromise and adjust accordingly though. Or I can create an entire new MIDI backing track which is our own but do bear in mind that is definitely going to take some time. I could use Melodyne Studio to convert the original audio to MIDI but I know that there is a L-O-T of editing to be done to the resultant MIDI track i.e. it’s by no means a simple audio to MiDI conversion.

More to follow...
        Backing track -

For the drums, I dig what you did earlier... why not use that MIDI score fed into your drum program (but change tempo to 110)?

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
          Also what about the clean and rythm parts? I can do clean and rythm.
          For the distorted rhythm, I think it would be interesting if you play the rhythm all the way through (mono), and I do the same (mono).

Then we can combine both panned wide L and wide R.

Comment

Lots of logistics here...

Firstly, someone's going to have to do DAW work and put all the contributions together with the backing track.

Those who contribute solos will need to do so by giving the above DAW person just the solo track (not solo track + backing). Obviously, we can't add a clip that has a solo and the backing track because that will be layered on top of the backing track. Gotta think studio-wise...

We'll need the raw .WAV file if possible... Google drive is a great way to share bigger files.

Solo contributors could add their own effects (delay etc whatever) to their tracks, or they could choose to record dry and let the DAW person add studio FX.

As far as whether covering the solos vs. doing your own solos, I'm cool with either way or a combination thereof.

Comment

Someone's gotta do the bass... or we use the MIDI score for that too and spruce it up.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                For the distorted rhythm, I think it would be interesting if you play the rhythm all the way through (mono), and I do the same (mono).

Then we can combine both panned wide L and wide R.
                Sounds just right. (well I hope it will sound just right )

Comment

Firstly, someone's going to have to do DAW work and put all the contributions together with the backing track.

Those who contribute solos will need to do so by giving the above DAW person just the solo track (not solo track + backing). Obviously, we can't add a clip that has a solo and the backing track because that will be layered on top of the backing track. Gotta think studio-wise...

We'll need the raw .WAV file if possible... Google drive is a great way to share bigger files.

Solo contributors could add their own effects (delay etc whatever) to their tracks, or they could choose to record dry and let the DAW person add studio FX.

As far as whether covering the solos vs. doing your own solos, I'm cool with either way or a combination thereof.
                  This way we may obtain a certain level of parallelism (/concurrency) so that the solos are prepared and submitted independently and concurrently with the basis which will be the backing track + bass. Then we add the rythm guitars, then the vocals, and finally the DAW persons puts everything together.

hmmmm

maybe we add the rythm indepndently as well?? I am afraid that remembering all rythm just by listening to the bass will be kind of hard. So If e.g. I listen to the original and record the following tracks :
                  1) clean + rythm
                  2) yngwie 1
                  3) yngwie 2
                  and any others that might come along
                  would be OK, I guess.
                  Last edited by greekdude; 02-22-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

This is the type of thing I've been getting to.

I'm keen to do the DAW and video editing work.

I agree with everything said. Only thing I'd like to insist on is that all recordings are made at 48kHz/32-bit IEEE Float (the 48kHz simply being because the end result of this is hopefully going to be video) .WAV format which, unfortunately, will result in some large files.

In addition to the above: are you guys going to make your videos at the same time or are you happy to try overdubs (effectively miming)??? Or: would you rather like to get an audio track out first and we can worry about the video at a later stage???

As far as FX goes: use your own FX and let's see how it all stitches together. If there are problems each can just go back and remove or edit their FX and create another recording is all.

I'm going to render out the entire MIDI file that I'm using and will upload shortly (with any further applicable explanations).

Comment

• Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Here (below) is the actual MIDI file (converted from Guitar Pro 7) that I've been using (for download).

I've gone through this file and I can tell you that somebody went to a LOT of trouble to create this thing. Only credits I can find in the Guitar Pro file is to someone or something called "Divined : Decayed".

Below the link are comments that are contained in the Guitar Pro file that may be of some help when matching the MIDI parts/audio/vocals/bass/guitar (you get the idea).

MIDI file download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IY...ahGm7rSBal7FV9. Tempo is 110.

The rendered audio file is busy uploading right now (comment edited out i.e. changed file format). Will furnish SoundCloud link in my next post (again with the necessary comments).

Comments from Guitar Pro file:

Musicians:

TOMMY ALDRIDGE backing vocals
                      DAVID ALFORD backing vocals
                      CARMINE APPICE backing vocals
                      VINNIE APPICE drums, backing vocals
                      JIMMY BAIN bass, backing vocals
                      FRANKIE BANALI drums, backing vocals
                      ERIC BLOOM lead vocals
                      MICK BROWN backing vocals
                      VIVIAN CAMPBELL guitar, backing vocals
                      CARLOS CAVAZO guitar, backing vocals
                      AMIR DERAKH backing vocals
                      RONNIE JAMES DIO lead vocals
                      DON DOKKEN lead vocals
                      KEVIN DUBROW lead vocals
                      BRAD GILLIS guitar, backing vocals
                      CRAIG GOLDIE guitar, backing vocals
                      CHRIS HAGER backing vocals
                      ROB HALFORD lead vocals
                      CHRIS HOLMES backing vocals
                      BLACKIE LAWLESS backing vocals
                      GEORGE LYNCH guitar, backing vocals
                      YNGWIE MALMSTEEN guitar, backing vocals
                      MICK MARS guitar, backing vocals
                      DAVE MENIKETTI lead vocals
                      DAVE MURRAY guitar melody lines, backing vocals
                      VINCE NEIL backing vocals
                      TED NUGENT backing vocals
                      EDDIE OJEDA guitar, backing vocals
                      JEFF PILSON backing vocals
                      DONALD "BUCK DHARMA" ROESER guitar, backing
                      vocals
                      DAVID ST. HUBBINS backing vocals
                      RUDY SARZO backing vocals
                      CLAUDE SCHNELL keyboards, backing vocals
                      NEIL SCHON guitar, backing vocals
                      PAUL SHORTINO lead vocals
                      DEREK SMALLS backing vocals
                      ADRIAN SMITH guitar melody lines, backing vocals
                      MARK STEIN vocals, backing vocals
                      GEOFF TATE lead vocals
                      MATT THORR backing vocals

These are from bands like :

Blue Oyster Cult
                      Dio
                      Dokken
                      Giuffria
                      Iron Maiden
                      Journey
                      Judas Priest
                      King Cobra
                      Motley Crue
                      Night Ranger
                      Queensryche
                      Quiet Riot
                      Rough Cutt
                      Spinal Tap
                      Twisted Sister
                      Vanilla Fudge
                      W.A.S.P.
                      Y&T

The guitar solos were played like this :

Graig Goldy/ Eddie Ojeda
                      Vivian Campbell/ Brad Gillis
                      Neal Schon/ George Lynch
                      Yngwie Malmsteen/ Vivian Campbell
                      George Lynch/ Carlos Cavazo
                      Brad Gillis/ Craig Goldy/ Donald "Buck Dharma"
                      Roeser
                      Last edited by dpaterson; 02-22-2019, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Here (below) is the rendered audio file of the above MIDI file I'm using.

Please note that this is only for review purposes and could be used for practice etc. I've not changed anything (none of my drums or bass or anything like that) i.e. this is just stock standard General MIDI instruments (nothing more annoying or grating than GM instruments but anyway).

It's a 48kHz MP3 file (didn't see any reason to upload a HUGE WAV file just for this purpose).

Now let me know if there's anything you want me to do here that will help. I can make a "video" of the file so that there's a timecode for reference purposes. Can add a metronome to the entire file. Stuff like that.

Oh and let me know if you want it uploaded somewhere else for download (never know what everybody is doing when trying to download direct from SoundCloud).

Comment

Quick questions:

Is everybody here going to be using amp. sims. (as opposed to micing. up their amps)???

Only reason I'm asking is to just be aware of bleed if you're going to mic. up your amps. (or use headphones for the backing track).

For video: is everybody able to record video separately from audio (bearing in mind that the video also needs to have an audio track for alignment purposes). Doesn't matter if they're SLIGHTLY out as that I can "fudge". But within reason. But if you need help or input or advice on this or some suggestions feel free to ask.

P.S.

By the way: think nice before we go and say "well let's just do the audio first". From my point of view: the BIG thing here is indeed to have a video of you all i.e. not just another audio collaboration. In other words: would hate to see the video falling by the wayside once the audio track is done.

Most everyone has a mobile phone and mostly that will suffice. Just remember the higher the resolution the better (with video it's alright to downsample if necessary but upsampling can sometimes create artifacts). Multiple camera angles would also be nice. Maybe some lighting??? You know: FEATURE yourself!!! Don't be shy to show off a little!!! LOL!!! If I was near to any of ya I'd do this all for you!!! But alas I'm not!!! Still: makes it the more interesting.

I'm able to combine various different resolutions in one file though so compatibility should not be an issue. But if you want details of preferred video formats then ask. One thing that needs to be decided is whether we're doing this at PAL or NTSC frame rates. That's very important. You need to check what your phone or camera is capable of. Or send me a small sample and I'll tell you what's going on with the frame rate etc. etc. etc.
                          Last edited by dpaterson; 02-22-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I think the whole project is already hard, by going for a perfect video is gonna make it even harder. If you notice the original video is almost irrelevvant of the solos played. Anyways, I listened to the midi audio, and cannot find any way this is better for practice than the original.
                            Why not add the videos in a free style fashion afterwards, like show happy faces doing silly things etc.

Comment

Just thought I might also point out I am a qualified audio engineer with a decent studio (for tracking, editing and even mastering) at my disposal.
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

But you already made a video for the solo contest??? That was great. Maybe just get (borrow) another phone so that there are two camera angles i.e. so we can see you.

Just because the original didn’t have individual videos for the solos doesn’t mean we cannot or should not do it. And we can do it. And wth ease too. I just don’t see the point of putting together yet another audio collaboration.

Bear in mind something else: they didn’t need a video for each guitarist in the original because those dudes are famous. We all know who is who on the original.

When I’m out of bed this morning I’ll detail how I’ve made videos. It’s really pretty simple. And then you can all decide.

You don’t have to practice with the MIDI track. Just wanted everybody to get familiar with the MIDI track that we are going to use. Bear in mind we need some vocalists and they too need to be familiar with the MIDI backing track that we are going to use. And while it may seem no different than practicing with the original: trust me when I say that when practicing with the original you are getting visual cues if using the video or audio cues if using the audio file only. Once those MIDI guitar tracks have been removed it becomes that much harder to come in and end at the correct times not to mention staying in time. If you were just doing a single solo yourself not a problem because you have a certain amount of leeway. But now you’re trying to fit in with a bunch of other people so your timing and everything else has got to be that much better.
                                Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X