I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Guys feel free to use the full version I uploaded for tracking/timing purposes regarding your own contributions, but we're not gonna use it (my current full version) for the final rhythm .wav track.

To be more specific, I will upload a final version in .wav format for the actual mixing after I tone tweak a little... but you can use the current .mp3 as a backing track for your own recordings.

I will be using the exact tracks (in other words I will not be re-recording things) as above (my current full version) for tone tweaking.

So, my final version in .wav format will be the exact tracks as above, just slightly different EQ (assuming it passes tone test).

This is simply FYI. Hard to explain but I think you get the gist.
    Last edited by LLL; 02-27-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
      Yeh. Notice his timing??? LOL!!! (Only joking with you i.e. just taking the mickey out of you is all).

Our intrepid vocalist did say he'd participate just as long as there wasn't a deadline so chill. The track isn't anywhere near ready for vocals in my opinion. I'm not done with the keys and then there's the rhythm parts that are surely not final???

The above being said: you do realize that we need more guitarists and vocalists??? So still places left at the table everyone.
      Once we have a finalized backing track and a matrix for solo parts to pick from, I can start a new thread and ask for submissions.

Comment

So this one? https://soundcloud.com/lefty-lounge-...s-dp-full-test

I'll do a "mixed-in" version and put up the dry takes to mix in a new session. I'll let you know where I'm at with it. I'll have more time and less stress after this week. Things are currently at peak sh!ttiness so it can only really get better from here.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          Things are currently at peak sh!ttiness so it can only really get better from here.
          Hmmmnnn... If I had a few $$$ for every time I've said that then things wouldn't be, well, so sh*tty!!! Be careful making statements like that!!! Famous last words!!!

That would be the right track from what I gather.

Comment

Hmmmnnn... If I had a few $$$ for every time I've said that then things wouldn't be, well, so sh*tty!!! Be careful making statements like that!!! Famous last words!!!

That would be the right track from what I gather.
            Dude, it's me. Don't believe me? Ask around. Or go through my post history...
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Did some attempts with LLL's track, I lowered my volume, fixed the EQ, the cab, I wanna decrease the distortion a tad, and I can say for sure, that I am shocked after almost 40 yrs of playing metal and rock that I am indeed out of time in such an ultra trivial song unless I pay extra attention and be lean with my acrobatic attempts.
              Dale, you were spot on. I am shocked. I believe fixing the sound will finally resolve this. Lower vol, lower distortion, correct left-right channel balance, and concentration will get me there. At last.
              About solos, some quick proposal : I do the first part (whoever this plays it) till the moment Cambel kicks in (excluding cambel, since he is assigned to Archer or Dale?), and also all Malmsteen, Malmsteen-like and Lynch solos.
              Its tough to do that when basically I have no time to be alone.

Comment

Hello.

Yeh well: for the fun of it I just put the tracks together and just panned @LLL's and @greekdude's tracks slightly to the left and slightly the right respectively as a simple test. Stuff sounds pretty awesome when it's in time (on those hooks). But yeh: it accentuates how important the timing of that "chug chug chug chug chug chug chug" actually is. Dunno. See how it goes. If you can get it down real tight then great. If not: may have to just use @LLL's multiple tracks.

Didn't bother with any other processing e.g. EQ or FX or anything i.e. just ensure the overall levels were equal to each other (not necessarily mixed correctly just levels matched is all).

Anyway (and for fun) here's the test I've just done:

Last edited by dpaterson; 02-28-2019, 03:17 AM.

Comment

nu stuff.... disclaimer : prepared for defeat again so shoot freely (as long as you dont tell me I didnt improve haha)
                  this is test mp3 for reviewing only

rhytmh : https://soundcloud.com/greekdude888/...hythm2-session
                  intro solo + yngwie : https://soundcloud.com/greekdude888/...ion-intro-malm

the intro solo does not sound goodl, so I'll do it again, and then add some Lynch.

question :

Should I do Malmsteen, Lynch, Goldy etc in separate solo tracks or the same?
                  Last edited by greekdude; 03-01-2019, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Right. Two words: "FU*K" and "YEH" as in "FU*K YEH!!!"!!! LOL!!!

AMAZING. Not bad coming from somebody who was moaning and crying and squealing about the boring rhythm section!!! LOL!!! See: with practice anything is possible!!! LOL!!!

And you're nailing those solos. NO they're not perfect but man: they do sound good!!! Especially the third one. (Just listened again: they're ALL good!!!).

I don't know what you do for a living or professionally but I sure do hope it's got something to do with music. If not: you need a good Producer and Manager and you can be famous!!! LOL!!!

Well well done.

I've put the tracks together (once again just as a test and for the fun of it and to make sure we're still alright technically). The first one is simply the tracks put together with no processing or anything i.e. just matched the levels is all. The second one I put through TRackS-5 The One Mastering Processor (for fun).

There's one or two places that are not 100% but I'll detail those shortly (just have to go do something else shortly).

On these tracks I simply panned the two rhythm tracks 50% left and 50% right (but of course that's panning the backing track as well at this stage).

One thing that is concerning me (and it's more evident on the mastered track): there is some distortion coming through. But I'm not going to bother to investigate at this point in time. At the moment I'm working with .MP3 files to begin with. I also don't have LLL's guitar tracks without the backing track. Also: LLL's track supplied is "hot". And in addition: at some point I'm going to need these tracks without effects I think.

The above all being said and considering that there's no effects being added in the mix and actually no proper mixing being done: the track sounds DAMN good!!!

Original (normalized to -0.1dB only):

Mastered with TRackS-5 (and normalized to -0.1db afterwards);

But YEH!!! It's coming together and sounding really really good!!! Well done to the BOTH of you (at this stage)!!!
                    Last edited by dpaterson; 03-01-2019, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Just listened again to the mastered track!!! I could listen to this sh*t ALL DAY!!! This is DAMN good. And if this doesn't spur some other guitarists to jump in well then I don't know why!!!

Wish you could hear this on my gazillion watt PA with two subs.!!! It is AWESOME. Sounds pretty darn close to the original too (probably better because all the copies of the original that we have are taken from some or the old old videos or vinyl or whatever)!!!

The distortion I'm talking about can be clearly heard at 5:34 by the way.

Also: at 5:41 something goes a bit "off" with the rhythm i.e. somebody (no names mentioned) is hesitating.

Alright: just checked. The distortion is coming through from LLL's track as supplied.

While everybody is doing their own thing here insofar as recording is concerned: could you at least ensure that your tracks conform to -6dB peak/-18dB (or -12LU) RMS levels.

@greekdude:

Cannot say about you doing the other parts. I would say go for it BUT be prepared to be bumped off some of those parts if we get more contributions. Sorry I know that sounds harsh but the idea here really was to showcase a number of different members and different tones. In other words: do them by all means (it's good practice anyway!!! LOL!!!) but let's say that the Malsmsteen parts are YOUR parts no matter what.

Regarding the levels here's (below) what's happening (throughout the track but this taken at 5:33). What's more: even if I adjust the levels post-fader the distortion is still evident. I know the track was uploaded merely to give us a base/backing track. Just asking to bear this in mind when sending the final recordings is all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HA WS LLL iZotope Insight 533.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	5813079
                      Last edited by dpaterson; 03-01-2019, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Thank you bro!! You and LLL did some absolutely great job!
                        Professionally, i.e by trade, I am into computer systems, informatics, so no music involved. I am so glad this seems to work!! I woke up this morning at 05:00 to have 2 hours available to do the recording. The trick I did was to not rush and try to move my body along the rhythm. That's why I play like a complete noob. LLL plays this more naturally and with greater ease and confidence. I guess 30 yrs in thrash metal left a mark!
                        Now the first solo is meh. LLL did this better IMHO. But I nailed yngwie so we are cool.
                        So LLL, we gotta arrange the solos now. I guess you want the first part, upto and including Ojeda, but maybe excluding Goldy?
                        So I committed yngwie which is ready, and finished I suppose, and I gotta cover Lynch and maybe some Goldy leftovers.

Comment

The distortion I'm talking about can be clearly heard at 5:34 by the way.

Also: at 5:41 something goes a bit "off" with the rhythm i.e. somebody (no names mentioned) is hesitating.
                          This point is messy anyways, I dont hear anything utterly distorted, also I am late on 5:41 but this can be fixed by a little editing. (without playing it again).

Also I agree about the solos, lets hope more will join.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                            I dont hear anything utterly distorted,...
                            You also didn't hear that you were out of time in your first rhythm take either!!! LOL!!! And how can anybody that's this good at playing the guitar not hear that distorted audio??? LOL!!!

This all being a good reason why I'm doing quality control and mixing the track and not you!!! LOL!!!

@LLL:

Can you go back and edit your very first post on this thread and put the original (or other) tracks back into that post??? I've been trying to conjure up some interest in this thread from other forums but it now looks odd as the very first post on this forum has links to SoundCloud audio that no longer exist.

Actually: there's a pile of stuff now missing from the thread i.e. broken links...
                            Last edited by dpaterson; 03-01-2019, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Ya, I called the final/last solo (Buck Dharma) earlier. He's one of my favorite guitarists.

I can do the beginning 2 solos (like I did in test clip earlier) if you want.

I would like one Vivian Campbell (another fave of mine) if possible... can do more if needed.

Comment

You know as well as I do that Vivian Campbell is what I'm waiting for!!! LOL!!!

But I MUST reiterate something: this is going to sound odd with improvised solos. Please trust me on this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X