I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Mr. Yngwie J. Malmsteen......... on the guitar.........

Solo 1:

Comment

Mr. Vivian Campbell......... on the guitar......... for the third time.........

Vivian Campbell Solo 3:

Comment

Yngwie Malmsteen Solo 2:

Comment

Alrighty dudes. Time for me to take a break and practice some of my own stuff for now today.

If anybody is intending on using this stuff: there's more than enough to keep you occupied!!! LOL!!!

Hope this dude doesn't mind my cutting up his videos??? Suppose if anything it will make HIM famous not??? LOL!!!

This song and these solos may seem dated to some. But (obviously) I've had to sit and watch them repeatedly now and I can tell you that they're not quite as easy as one would think when just simply listening to the song itself. I think we've undertaken a rather mammoth task here not??? Oh well. "No pain no gain" as they say in the classics!!!

One reason for my doing this is it's all very well to use something like Riffstation. But you cannot get the fingering from Riffstation.

Also: forgive my edits i.e. the cuts are not quite as precise as they could or should be. But this is a tedious and time consuming task I'm afraid.........

Have fun.

To be completed.........

Comment

Awesome work Dale! Thanks a lot. The 2nd yngwie is easy. I'll give a listen to the other players, and then LLL and the rest of dudes should decide on the assignment, we'll find a way to make it real!
            Apparently we need to assign more players / member.

I chose yngwie (whom no one else claimed), so IMO rest of members must claim theirs.
            Last edited by greekdude; 02-22-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

So, explain the premise to me here...you are covering another player’s solo? Or are you playing your own solo in a particular time frame within the structure of the song....

Comment

I will claim Buck Dharma's solo (the final solo) for myself. I will replicate it.

I'll do other solos, but I just want to claim that one for now. I've always thought (even way back when it first came out) that was the tastiest solo of the whole bunch.

Countless repeated listenings (I've heard the tune and seen the vid so many times) and my opinion is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                  Matter of fact I find it ironic that all of the '80's rock and metal tone was labelled as "generic" on my Vivian Campbell thread.
                  Yeah, I remember seeing the "premier" of Last In Line video... blew my mind. DIO conjured up a fire-breathing dragon with that Campbell kid.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                    Neal Schon Solo 1 (isn't this the dude that used to play with Gary Moore???):
                    Neal Schon is/was the guitarist for Journey and earlier in his teens played with Santana.

He's also been in some one-album "super"groups like Bad English, HSAS, Hardline, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      So, explain the premise to me here...you are covering another player’s solo? Or are you playing your own solo in a particular time frame within the structure of the song....
                      You can do either... your own solo or a solo cover.

All in a particular time frame ("chunk").

Comment

Well this to be discussed and agreed upon by the individual guitarists.

My personal plan was to find the same number of guitarists as in the original and cover each guitarist’s solo verbatim (subject to the below). If we didn’t find the same number of guitarists to participate then either the entire solo was shortened proportionately or our guitarists would have to cover more than one of the original guitarists (the latter being preferable in my opinion).

@LLL should comment here on his ideas on this I think. But input and comment from all concerned both current (@greekdude) and potential participants would be most welcome.

Regarding verbatim copying of the solos (there must be a correct word for “verbatim” here???):

I mentioned to “make this our own”. By this I mean’t something like the Metal Allegiance collaboration of “We Rock”. In my opinion nobody in that video was trying to cover Dio EXACT, some liberties were taken with the solo and the arrangement of the solo, that type of thing. But since starting to separate these solos out I’m wondering if maybe this thing should not be covered EXACT. That is WAY more difficult and represents a huge challenge. But if pulled off: good experience and major bragging rights. To actually remember each (your) solo and then for everyone to come in and finish at the right times in such a way that everything flows and doesn’t end up sounding disjointed is no mean feat. And as good as our dude in the videos is: remember he is playing along with the original so has audible reminders and prompts for each solo. Big difference if you’re doing this with a pure backing track.

But those are my thoughts is all. I’d just like to get the whole thing down on video i.e. I’ll just stitch all the pieces together into the one song that doesn’t look or sound disjointed (which in and of itself is not going to be simple given that this will be different footage and different audio from a number of very different sources i.e. the original was put together in the same studio being monitored every step of the way).

P.S.

My post above was being typed while @LLL was already responding so do take all in context.
                        Last edited by dpaterson; 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM.

Comment

So, just my opinion but I find it much more impressive to create your own solo than to copy somebody else.
                          Copying does little to increase your knowledge/skill set imo. Learning to create your own within the confines of the key, I feel is much more conducive to furthering your own playing.

I’m not saying that copying is easier or anything, but when I go see a live band (cover band) the last thing I want to see/hear is a verbatim recreation of a song. I want to hear the musicians let the song breathe and to become something more than a carbon copy.
                          If I wanted to hear an exact recreation, I’d just stay home and listen to YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            Neal Schon is/was the guitarist for Journey and earlier in his teens played with Santana.

He's also been in some one-album "super"groups like Bad English, HSAS, Hardline, etc...
                            Sorry. Was thinking of Neil Carter (UFO).

Comment

Ok so breaking down of the solos has been done. Check.
                              Now we need a decent backing track that covers the original (the long version, with the intro clean part included). I tried to put Dale's backing track along with the original in my DAW and there was no way I could get them synchronized. I (personally) am non-pro musician, not even hitech amateur , I work on Linux with Ardour and that's all. So no fancy Mac/MS programs here. Best case Riffstation under wine emulation.
                              So, what's the next step? Dale where do we record? Weekend is coming, kids and wifey are gonna be sleeping, now its the time for some action!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                                So, just my opinion but I find it much more impressive to create your own solo than to copy somebody else.
                                Copying does little to increase your knowledge/skill set imo. Learning to create your own within the confines of the key, I feel is much more conducive to furthering your own playing.

I’m not saying that copying is easier or anything, but when I go see a live band (cover band) the last thing I want to see/hear is a verbatim recreation of a song. I want to hear the musicians let the song breathe and to become something more than a carbon copy.
                                If I wanted to hear an exact recreation, I’d just stay home and listen to YouTube.
                                Good point(s). Suppose you’re right. Just thinking again of Metal Allegiance. The solo parts are not exact by any means. But they are recognizable in the context of the song and have the same nuances as the original not???

Well maybe a mixture i.e. as @LLL says it is a choice??? I suppose: think “WE’RE Stars” with the emphasis on “WE”. The song definitely does lend itself well to originality where the solos are concerned let’s face it. I for one cannot remember each and every original solo as one continuous chunk of the song (this being different from one song with one solo that fits and that you’ve practiced and are used to hearing).

Comment

Working...
                                X