Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez HH wiring comprehension requested

Greetings,
    I have an Ibanez HH guitar that I got in a trade and never have been able to figure out what coils/pickups are engaged for each position on the 5-way switch (not a superswitch). I find conflicting things online too. I called Ibanez support and they sent me a wiring diagram but I can't decipher anything from it, although I'm sure some of you can understand it.

I also found this info on a search of this forum from a post of another thread last year, thanks to forum member Juanhanglo:
    12-06-2018, 06:46 PM #4
    Default Re: HH 5 way superswitch wiring

Or use the ibanez 5 way switch that comes on their HH guitars.

Neck series
    Neck parallel
    Both humbuckers
    Inner coils parallel
    Bridge series

I like the fact that i get all the most useful sounds without having switches all over the place

I am attaching the wiring diagram Ibanez sent me and wondered if someone could confirm what coils are active on each position of the 5-way switch. Please let me know if I left any helpful information out. As always, many thanks for the help!
    Attached Files

Re: Ibanez HH wiring comprehension requested

Impossible to tell from the diagram without knowing the way the switch is wired.
    Tapping on the poles with a screwdriver will tell you.

Comment

It's like any of the others that are wired that way, simply look at the picture on this page in the specs. It matches their description exactly.

Comment

Does your 5-way switch have any markings?

The switch that does the 'parallel-in-4th-position' has "2502N" printed on the circuit board, and "COR-TEK" stamped on the metal side, this is also known as the "3PS1SC5" switch. It is a custom switch made for Ibanez and AFAIK not sold to the general public (maybe can find one on eBay).

The thing to keep in mind is that the circuit pattern is completely different from the standard Alpha brand 5-way 'import' switch (with printed circuit board).

This is the switching pattern for the COR-TEK 2502N (3PS1SC5) switch:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	ibz_switches_hh.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	5812976

A photo I took of the COR-TEK 2502N (3PS1SC5) board (without disassembling) so I could map the traces:

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	5812977

And a map someone else made that I have picked up along the way (probably on jemsite):

Name:	3PS1SC5~original.jpg
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	5812980

For comparison, here is the switching pattern for the Alpha-style switch (the standard import 5-way switch - also referred to as "3PS1CGAE5" by Ibanez):

Name:	ibz_switches_hsh.jpg
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	5812975

Please post if your switch has any labeling, I hope this helps!

Comment

Here's another Ibanez wiring diagram that adds the connection description in the lower-left corner of the pic, yours should be wired like this if it has the 2502N (3PS1SC5) switch:

Name:	Ibanez_RGA121H_Wiring.jpg
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	5812981

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
            This! There's simply no better way.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              Impossible to tell from the diagram without knowing the way the switch is wired.
              Ha of course! Why that didn't think of that I don't know. Thanks for the reminder!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                It's like any of the others that are wired that way, simply look at the picture on this page in the specs. It matches their description exactly.

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...g421pb_03.html

Thank you! Based on the posts that followed yours I believe you nailed it and it is wired the same as shown in the link you sent. Thank you much. It's the first Ibanez I've had any experience with and didn't know that was a common way they wired HH guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Downrazor11 View Post
                  Does your 5-way switch have any markings?

The switch that does the 'parallel-in-4th-position' has "2502N" printed on the circuit board, and "COR-TEK" stamped on the metal side, this is also known as the "3PS1SC5" switch. It is a custom switch made for Ibanez and AFAIK not sold to the general public (maybe can find one on eBay).

The thing to keep in mind is that the circuit pattern is completely different from the standard Alpha brand 5-way 'import' switch (with printed circuit board).

This is the switching pattern for the COR-TEK 2502N (3PS1SC5) switch:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]96089[/ATTACH]

A photo I took of the COR-TEK 2502N (3PS1SC5) board (without disassembling) so I could map the traces:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]96090[/ATTACH]

And a map someone else made that I have picked up along the way (probably on jemsite):
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]96093[/ATTACH]

For comparison, here is the switching pattern for the Alpha-style switch (the standard import 5-way switch - also referred to as "3PS1CGAE5" by Ibanez):
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]96088[/ATTACH]

Please post if your switch has any labeling, I hope this helps!
                  Man, what a wealth of information. Many thanks! I looked at the switch and it is a Cor-Tek 2502N. The only difference compared to the photo you posted is that mine says "2" under the 2502N whereas your photo shows "1". But I figured that was a meaningless difference. Your description in conjunction with the diagram you posted on the next post were a big big help and I'm confident in how it's wired the way your diagram shows. Why I couldn't find accurate information the other places I looked online is a bit of a disappointment, but this case proves again the SD forum is simply the best.

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    This! There's simply no better way.
                    Artie, thanks for the reply! I can't believe I didn't think of tapping on the pole pieces.....hopefully I'll remember next time I need it!

Comment

Thanks to all who replied to my thread. My question is resolved and you have illustrated again why the Seymour Duncan forum is the best one there is.

Comment

Great, enjoy your Ibanez!

I had an RGD321 that had this wiring and I found the neck-in-parallel to be a pretty cool tonal option, I just wish these 2502N switches were more readily available (at $8 instead of $20).. I for one would use them on a few of my other guitars.

Comment

Working...
                        X