Set List Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set List Software?

I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on getting myself a 10”-11” tablet to use for gigs as a set list and for song lyrics/notes. At this point I’m completely open in terms of operating system (Android, iOS, Windows).

So what are ya’ll using and why? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Re: Set List Software?

Just my opinion BriGuy, I like tape, felts and a napkin.
    I saw a bar band a while back between the drummer on his electric drums adjusting noises, the singer flipping through his tablet and the guitarist friggin with pedals, they lost flow to their set. Play, stop, play,stop.
    Maybe they just didn't know how to integrate things properly, I don't know. I just wanted to shake my booty.
    Not trying to piss you off here or anything, just my opinion.

Comment

We use paper and a laser printer. I see too many musicians who have their nose buried in a tablet onstage. The most basic thing we can do up there is know the songs we are playing.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Set List Software?

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
        Just my opinion BriGuy, I like tape, felts and a napkin.
        I saw a bar band a while back between the drummer on his electric drums adjusting noises, the singer flipping through his tablet and the guitarist friggin with pedals, they lost flow to their set. Play, stop, play,stop.
        Maybe they just didn't know how to integrate things properly, I don't know. I just wanted to shake my booty.
        Not trying to piss you off here or anything, just my opinion.
        No pissing off taken! [emoji41]

I was always fine before with just a set list, but ever since our band’s “reorganization” I’ve gone from singing 3-4 songs a night to 25-30. Additionally I’m playing a lot more lead guitar as well. I actually have things memorized pretty well but find myself sometimes drawing a blank on lyrics, especially when needing to switch gears back to singing after playing a lead. I don’t want to have pages upon pages of lyrics on stage, and I also don’t wanna be the guy who performs while staring at a music stand the whole time. I want something relatively unobtrusive and unnoticeable that I can easily make reference to when my fifty-year-old brain decides to go dark!

I figured a tablet would blend into the background a little easier than a bunch of paper... not to mention that it won’t blow away when playing outside or next to a fan!

EDIT: And just to clarify, I firmly believe that memorization is the best bet... I just don’t trust myself completely and want a plan B for performances.
        Last edited by BriGuy1968; 02-21-2019, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          We use paper and a laser printer. I see too many musicians who have their nose buried in a tablet onstage. The most basic thing we can do up there is know the songs we are playing.
          We had another guitarist for a short time that did that... burying his nose in his tablet for the whole freakin’ set! You can’t interact with your audience if you’re staring at your music, which is why I try to memorize everything. Like I said, I just want a plan B... especially since I have so much more to memorize now.

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
            I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on getting myself a 10”-11” tablet to use for gigs as a set list and for song lyrics/notes. At this point I’m completely open in terms of operating system (Android, iOS, Windows).

So what are ya’ll using and why? Pros? Cons?

Thanks in advance!
            I coded up a set list app for iOS called MySetlist - for just these reasons. It’s not nearly as full featured as as some solutions out there - midi scroll, transposition, etc. but for what you’re wanting to do, I think it fits the bill.

That said, there are some additional features that I use in both my bands.

First is to base everything off a song library, so that you can construct sets on the fly.

Second is tracking of hi, med, lo tempo, so you get a graphic representation of the ebbs and flows of a set.

It also has venue mapping and contact info, so that it’s all in one place,

You can see it on the App Store at:

MySetlist - Artist Edition by View Beyond LLC https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myse...179529439?mt=8

I’m gathering next-gen requirements at the moment, so if you do try it, would love to hear the good, bad and ugly of your experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Currently we use printed paper set lists but my singer uses a tablet for the exact reasons you mentioned. He pretty much has it all memorized but it’s nice to have a plan B. He has a small unobtrusive stand and uses an Air Turn to scroll through the lyrics.
              He uses the app “Songbook” to organize his set lists and put them in the correct order for the show. This was there’s no searching while on stage.

My last band uses an app called SetList Maker. Worked great but I always found it a bit confusing to use. The other guitar player in that band was good at using it so he took care of all of that. It allows all tablet users to sync to it so everyone sees that same thing.

Comment

MS Notepad + printing song titles then mark the songs with no pause between them with some thick pen maually and that's it.

I do admit that sometimes I misplace verses and accidentally miss and improvise fixed lines on the fly so I completely get your point.
                Wackor
                Ørdøg
                NecroPolo
                Diabolus in Musica
                SIDrip Alliance
                Book of Shadows
                RKH

Comment

I use Excel to manage my setlists, and practice lists.

I just print out what’s needed for a show easily enough, and everyone is looking at the same thing which is a good thing IME

For my practice lists i can link in lyrics and audio shortcuts and I stay focused better.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Set List Software?

Well, in case anyone is curious, I ended up with an Amazon Fire HD10 tablet and SongbookPro as the app.

SongbookPro replaces all the hassle of carrying and organizing your chord charts, lyric sheets, sheet music and songbooks with a simple app on your iPad, Android tablet or Windows laptop.

You can load up the lyrics and chords together and adjust the colors to the way you like best.

But it also has a "lyric mode" which is pretty cool for someone like me who has no trouble remembering the chords and riffs but keeps drawing a blank on lyrics:

Other features: You can set the scroll speed, see a visual metronome, create setlists, and import chord charts directly from UltimateGuitar.com (I know... a lot of them kinda suck, but it still saves a ton of typing) or copy from a text file and paste. Additionally, it's available as a Windows app as well (much faster typing) and you can use OneDrive to sync between the two devices.

So there's my two cents, even though that may be all it's worth.

So far so good! [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my Fire HD10 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 03-03-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X