Bass GAS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass GAS

This month I was hoping to get back to learning bass and putting a practice capable rig together. Sadly I lost three weeks of work to weather, a bad cold, and the boss being out of town on business. Kinda bummed.
    I had a Squier jazz bass and rumble 40 but I sold it back when I was pretty into a certain plant that turned out to be a real drain on my money, time, and motivation. Now that I don't have that problem I need stuff to do that is fun and constructive.
    The jazz bass was cool but I think I would like a wider nut. The jazz bass was workable but just feels so different, and I don't even have big hands/fingers.
    Also a split coil p pickup sounds nice. I felt like the jazz bass was a little mellow sounding for a lot of stuff?

How is the nut width on those lower end Ibanez gsr200, they are affordable and look really nice to me. The squier affinity and vintage modified PJ look good to me as well. A lot of people seem to say the affinity is fine for a beginner. I don't think I was close to outgrowing my squier when I had it...
    Is it worth holding out for a better bass, I mean part of me is pretty anxious to get back into it, and funds are tight. Should I wait and get something better?
    For the amp I was considering another lower wattage rumble or perhaps a used Peavey tko or Max sort of bass amp. Loud enough to feel like a real amp is good but it's just learning the basics still for me, so I don't need to be good capable. That's my thinking.

But yeah... Is it worth waiting to get some higher end stuff? I'm really just getting started in the world of bass and tone is not my priority but just something that I won't have to fight with to learn on. Right now I just wanna be able to hear myself. But is this smart? Will I outgrow such a budget rig within say a year or two? Should I put this off several months and have maybe a few hundred more dollars for slightly better stuff or what?

What out there is cheap, full bass scale length, and has a little more versatility than a stock j bass, while being comfortable, possibly wider nut width than what I had?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Re: Bass GAS

The Squier Vintage Modern PJ Bass (not the short scale model) has wider string spacing than the Jazz.The Ibanez Talman Basses feel about the same as the Jazz Bass to me. Maybe a tiny bit wider. I would go for a used Squier Vintage Modern or Ibanez Talman, before I bought an Affinity or Ibanez GSR.

Comment

I'm not sure about Talmans or GSRs, but Ibanez Soundgear basses have the 1.5" Jazz Bass nut width for the most part.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        I'm not sure about Talmans or GSRs, but Ibanez Soundgear basses have the 1.5" Jazz Bass nut width for the most part.
        I see, this is good info thanks!

Comment

I’d choose a bass based on its sound.

Choosing a bass based on the nut width is rather silly. Find a bass that sounds good, then learn how to play it.

IMO.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
            I’d choose a bass based on its sound.

Choosing a bass based on the nut width is rather silly. Find a bass that sounds good, then learn how to play it.

IMO.
            Well I had a jazz bass and it was not bad just not super comfortable
            So I'm trying to find one that sounds good but first also investigating some options with the wider width
            but I'm not saying I cant or won't play the narrow ones I just wanna say that after starting with the narrow one it is not the most comfortable

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
              Well I had a jazz bass and it was not bad just not super comfortable
              So I'm trying to find one that sounds good but first also investigating some options with the wider width
              but I'm not saying I cant or won't play the narrow ones I just wanna say that after starting with the narrow one it is not the most comfortable

As someone who bounces between P and J basses with different nut widths and fretboard radius (radii?), I’d argue wider isn’t more comfortable, although you’re certainly free to try. Without knowing the specifics of your situation and taking a wild stab that may be totally off base I suggest adjusting your strap height until something clicks.

Most teachers will tell you that your bass should be slung so that it’s in the same position standing as it is when you’re seated. I advocate slinging it as low as possible whist being able to play what you need to play. Up high is better for R&B because it has better fretboard mobility for playing arpeggios, but I find it fatiguing to hold my arm up in the air playing rock songs that mostly require me to sit at the bottom end of the fretboard on the E and A strings. For rock, I find low slung is more relaxed when pounding out roots and basic fills.

YMMV
              Last edited by some_dude; 02-24-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                As someone who bounces between P and J basses with different nut widths and fretboard radius (radii?), I’d argue wider isn’t more comfortable, although you’re certainly free to try. Without knowing the specifics of your situation and taking a wild stab that may be totally off base I suggest adjusting your strap height until something clicks.

Most teachers will tell you that your bass should be slung so that it’s in the same position standing as it is when you’re seated. I advocate slinging it as low as possible whist being able to play what you need to play. Up high is better for R&B because it has better fretboard mobility for playing arpeggios, but I find it fatiguing to hold my arm up in the air playing rock songs that mostly require me to sit at the bottom end of the fretboard on the E and A strings. For rock, I find low slung is more relaxed when pounding out roots and basic fills.

YMMV
                Thanks!
                After reading your earlier response I was looking round teh interwebz and it seems that some people seem to really care about nut width and string spacing and many others are like you who can be happy on either spacing no problem. I would rather be in the second camp when I think about it. It's good to be able to adjust and pick up whatever and be able to really use it.

Last time I went with a j bass cuz it was the one in the store I liked the sound of but mostly the two pickups mixed or bridge pickup, the neck pickup was sort of dull and kinda weak sounding to me after I really got to know it. Not bad just... Any time I heard someone play a p bass it's like... Playing strats all your life then finally hearing someone play a tele. You go, aha that guy gets a totally different sound right away. It's ballsy in a different way I guess

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  Thanks!
                  After reading your earlier response I was looking round teh interwebz and it seems that some people seem to really care about nut width and string spacing and many others are like you who can be happy on either spacing no problem. I would rather be in the second camp when I think about it. It's good to be able to adjust and pick up whatever and be able to really use it.

Last time I went with a j bass cuz it was the one in the store I liked the sound of but mostly the two pickups mixed or bridge pickup, the neck pickup was sort of dull and kinda weak sounding to me after I really got to know it. Not bad just... Any time I heard someone play a p bass it's like... Playing strats all your life then finally hearing someone play a tele. You go, aha that guy gets a totally different sound right away. It's ballsy in a different way I guess

IMO, a really good Jazz bass will sound good on either pickup. I had one that sounded good on the neck or blended, but the bridge solo sounded thin and weak. I was new to bass and thought that’s just how Js sounded. It was an eye opener when I played a Jazz with a big, ballsy sounding bridge.

That said, P basses are awesome too. IMO, the trick is to find one that pushes a lot of midrange and has a full bottom end/low midrange. I find a lot of the ones I’m pulling off the shelf are bright/thin and lack the low mid grunt I want.

Comment

See, I work the other way around. The ergonomics have to work for me, then I will alter the sound if I need to. I won't play an instrument that I have to get used to (guitar or bass).
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      See, I work the other way around. The ergonomics have to work for me, then I will alter the sound if I need to. I won't play an instrument that I have to get used to (guitar or bass).
                      This happened to me with Les Pauls
                      I love how they look and sound but the feeling of playing one is weird to me even after years and owning 3 epis 2 agiles and a Gibson and demoing countless others. Something about the weight, neck shape, having to kinda angle my hand to get the last few frets, I dunno
                      There's one local music store and they are not the most friendly people I always get that feeling like they're screaming silently for me to buy something... Which is difficult cuz they have like two ranges they jump right from samick guitars right to high end ESP and American fender with not a lot of selection last time there was like 8 total guitars and I didn't see any basses but wasn't looking at the time. Vegas is four hour round trip but sounds like it's worth it to go there to get my hands on some basses when I get my funds all together.
                      Seems like the obvious answer is play some basses and really pay attention to what I feel and hear.
                      I hate this weather related lack of work, nothing like a lot of down time *and* talking a hit in the wallet, makes it hard to stick money in the gear fund for sure when you work 11 hours in two weeks ugh

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Same here. I love the look of the big hollow body basses (like the Gretsch Jack Casady), but absolutely hate them ergonomically.
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1
                        '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                        '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                        '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                        '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

As a guitar player, I find the spacing of strings on all basses stupid wide, so it does not really matter to me.

Especially minute differences like we are talking about here.

And, as always, today there are soooooo many price performers in the 3-4 hunnerd range by Ibanez etc...and used. Plus, between Ebay, CL, and Reverb. Easy to score awesome setup cheap.

See my Baceman thread for my setup. I paid 280 for that Jackson.
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            As a guitar player, I find the spacing of strings on all basses stupid wide, so it does not really matter to me.

Especially minute differences like we are talking about here.

And, as always, today there are soooooo many price performers in the 3-4 hunnerd range by Ibanez etc...and used. Plus, between Ebay, CL, and Reverb. Easy to score awesome setup cheap.

See my Baceman thread for my setup. I paid 280 for that Jackson.
                            Yup I'm trying to increase my bass funds so I can get above the bottom of the bass barrel right now I've got about $240 in the whole bass +amp savings.
                            Gonna keep working on it but could be a bit I've got a major non-guitar purchase in May or June and I'll hate myself eternally if I don't have that covered first. I'm anxious to get back into it so at first I thought bottom of the barrel might not be so bad but you guys have convinced me to wait just a few more months to get more savings and deal-hunt a little harder

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              No: The spacing on guitars is insanely narrow.
                              '69 Fender Mustang bass
                              '69 Gibson EB-1
                              '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                              '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                              '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                              '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                              '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                              '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Working...
                              X