Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sharps and flats

You play guitar and don't know???

There's 12 frets but only 7 "notes" per octave per Euro note naming, necessitating names for the other 5

Presumably because someone noticed they actually exist and get used a lot, too. Probably while playing a fretted instrument, since that makes em kinda hard not to notice...
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      Either of those is correct because you are not tying it to a specific key, they are enharmonic tones.

Getting all music theory 101 on you, if you are playing in playing in say, Eb major (3 flats on the key signature, see below), the pitch inventory is Eb F G Ab Bb C D, so, while you the pitches are the same as D# major - D# E# F## G# A# B# C## (yes, that is a F double sharp and a C double sharp, which raises each pitch 1 full step), they are 2 different keys. D# is also considered a "theoretical" key because it is rarely used because it is basically a PITA (Eb is much easier to use).

As to why accidentals (sharps and flats) exist, I guess is just seemed like the easier thing to do instead of giving all 12 tones individual names(? although there is also some physics involved in the way they are separated?), I really don't know. But I think it is easier to keep up with 7 notes with accidentals instead of 12 individual notes.

No wonder "D#" just sounds wrong.
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        You like to play on the black keys huh?
        What's funny is I dont ever play in standard tuning. So I'm never "tuning down", when restringing I tune up to CGCFAD and C#G#C#F#A#D# LOL!
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I always thought that the difference between sharp and flat mostly has to do with making it easier to write stuff out in music notation. Mostly irrelevant if you don't read/write music with notation.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
          X