Not into locking tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not into locking tuners

I have a set on one guitar. They’re ok. String changes are slightly quicker. They work ok, and I wouldn’t replace them, but I have no intention of putting them on any other guitars. The vintage style Fenders where the end of the string goes down into the post are better. Whatever Fender put on USA Strats in 1987 are fine, too.

Anybody else meh about locking tuners?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Not into locking tuners

I like the old style slotted ones on old Fenders and alike...plus the modern variation from Schaller that they use on some G&L guitars...
    I wish Gotoh would redo some that they made in the late 70's to early 80's with the slot....
    Elegant design...and you never get to puncture your fingers on pointy string ends...

Comment

i dont replace tuners unless there is an issue. that said, i like locking tuners. makes string changes a breeze. usually sperzel but just got a guitar with hipshot and they are good too

Comment

I hate the fact that if you have to loosen and retighten the strings for whatever reason, you will probably have to say b-bye to some strings with locking tuners. They usuall break when doing so.

Otherwise, I dig the self-locking ones better than the thumbwheel Sperzel-likes.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-27-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

^ those Hipshot locking tuners with the exposed gears look snazzy as hell.

I’ll get flamed for this, but my dislike came from putting the really heavy set from my Peavey (Schaller, I think) on my Fender, and it f’d up the tone. Wasn’t night and day, but it sounded off when they were on there. It didn’t even occur the tuners were the culprit until I saw a local dude playing a ‘62 Strat. Saw he had the originals on and it got me thinking. When I put the regular Fender tuners (that weigh nothing in comparison) back on, with the same strings, it sounded right again.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i prefer light tuners as well btu i havent found the sperzels overly heavy. not sure about the hipshots since they were on the guitar already

Comment

I have some top locking tuners on my Epiphones
              Gotoh on my Hummingbird and Grover on my Florentine
              They are nice

I have the rear wheel Grovers on my Martin and Gibson
              I have some off brand rear lockers on my other guitars
              And some Planet Waves auto trim on my Ehdwuld branded semi hollow

I like the rear wheels better, probably just not used to the top lockers that much
              Once they are on it really doesn't matter

They all hold tune well

String change was my biggest reason for swapping

If I could find some for bass I would do everything I have
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Have never used locking tuners lol
                Only time I ever notice string slippage at the tuner is if for instance someone distracts me while changing strings and I forget to leave enough slack for 3 good wraps around the post...
                Never really got the urge to put them on any of mine in all the years I've been playing
                I too really like the vintage ones where you cut the string and put it down the hole. Easy and pretty quick to change strings, I have them on 2/4 guitars and they do their job well.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

I usually (but not always) put them on when I am doing my own assembly, or swapping out the tuners on something. I usually won't bother to replace a decent set of regular Kluson-style tuners, though.

Even if they aren't necessary to help tuning stability, they certainly are convenient for string changes. I don't find them slightly faster than normal posts. I find them a lot faster...and I'm a quick string changer even on normal tuners.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I like them, but not all designs. I put the Kluson style Gotoh lockers on my Esquire build. They are nice and don't weigh a lot at all. The Les Paul Trad Pro has locking tuners from the factory with a wheel on the back. I like those. They work well. I won't change tuners just to change them. Most of the time what is on the guitar works fine for me, unless they are utter crap and then they will be replaced.

Comment

I like locking tuners for the quick changes. But the act of winding a string around a tuner is an archaic practice at this day and age, Yould think by now they would engineer a better system outside of the headless double-ball system (which is awesome).
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think just to complicate this thread... gotoh started making locking vintage tuners - several versions. while the mag locks are prob heavier the other style is an auto lock type. also, I like locking tuners. have a set of gotoh 510 on a strat and the are not only superior to any other tuners I have ever even tried... they weigh about the sm as most closed gear tuners. have sperzels on some, they are good. have vintage tuners on one tele and sperzels on another... both teles sound grat... and both stay in tune about the sm. anything with a floating bridge would not be the sm story.

Comment

Originally posted by mistermikev View Post
                          I think just to complicate this thread... gotoh started making locking vintage tuners - several versions. while the mag locks are prob heavier the other style is an auto lock type. also, I like locking tuners. have a set of gotoh 510 on a strat and the are not only superior to any other tuners I have ever even tried... they weigh about the sm as most closed gear tuners. have sperzels on some, they are good. have vintage tuners on one tele and sperzels on another... both teles sound grat... and both stay in tune about the sm. anything with a floating bridge would not be the sm story.
                          The Kluson-style auto lockers are called Mag Locks, and they have been around for a while (they are my favorite lockers). The new variant of Gotoh Kluson-style lockers simply uses a lock knob on the back, like most locking tuners do. Both are called Mag Locks, though.
                          Originally posted by LesStrat
                          Yogi Berra was correct.
                          Originally posted by JOLLY
                          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            The Kluson-style auto lockers are called Mag Locks, and they have been around for a while (they are my favorite lockers). The new variant of Gotoh Kluson-style lockers simply uses a lock knob on the back, like most locking tuners do. Both are called Mag Locks, though.
                            well... gotoh refers to those as hapm... didn't know that referred to height adjustable pole magnum lock. on my list of things to try for sure.

Comment

forgot to mention... wilkinson makes some vintage tuners that are "locking" in the most loose def of the word... but they are kind of nice. they use them on the reverand guitars as I understand. not going to prevent the string poke thing as it is just two holes in the shaft that you thread the string thru... but I've read that they are pretty nice. just wanted to pass along in case it fits the bill.

Comment

Working...
                              X