Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not into locking tuners

Originally posted by mistermikev View Post
    well... gotoh refers to those as hapm... didn't know that referred to height adjustable pole magnum lock. on my list of things to try for sure.
    Gotoh has HAP, M, and HAP-M.

HAP = height-adjustable post
    M = Magnum Lock
    HAP-M = both features

Vintage-style tuners can be ordered with any combination of these features (M only, HAP, only, HAP-M, or plain). HAP, M, and HAP-M are also available on other models of Gotoh tuners that aren't vintage Kluson style.

The vintage Kluson style kind with the lock knobs on the back are a new addition. But thankfully, they didn't take away any of the old stuff when they introduced them.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-27-2019, 04:28 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Anybody else meh about locking tuners?
      same here. I have some guitars that came with them. But I don't see the need to install them.

Comment

My Carvins have them on their 20:1 tuners and they work well, but as a floyd guy I just don't need them and they essentially just add an extra step.
        Last edited by dave74; 02-27-2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I put a set of Carvin lockers on my RG2
          Love those things
          Dropped right in just like Bruce said they would
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wait height adjustable poles
            Wait
            I think I have some of those
            How do you adjust the poles?

Did I miss something?
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like the ones on my PRS.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

No strong opinions on lockers. I have a few guitars with them and they work fine.

However the best tuners are still the vintage style split shaft. Light, fastest string changes, sound good and you can remove and reinstall the strings if need be.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I also use this when changing strings, had plenty of guitars with both......but love the vintage splitshaft tuners the best....never had issues with those, all the other leaves that hated little spiky stump that wants to kill your fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i dont replace tuners unless there is an issue. that said, i like locking tuners. makes string changes a breeze.
                    Same for me.
                    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                      I hate the fact that if you have to loosen and retighten the strings for whatever reason, you will probably have to say b-bye to some strings with locking tuners. They usuall break when doing so.

Otherwise, I dig the self-locking ones better than the thumbwheel Sperzel-likes.
                      Perhaps you are using them incorrectly. I have used literally dozens of locking sets and it is all that I use on my custom builds, and I have never had such a problem. I use Planet Waves and Fender two-pin locking tuners. I don't pull the strings tight through the hole before tightening the lock, I leave enough slack in the strings so I can remove/change/modify the pups without having to remove the strings from the tuners. I have (repeat) NEVER had a problem doing it this way.

If you are breaking strings it is probably because there is a bur or sharp edge on the tuner where the string goes into it. An easy fix with a fine rat-tail file or Dremel with a small bullet-shaped stone.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I happen to love locking tuners. They are so convenient and quick. I especially like the Planet Waves auto trim tuners. They work like magic, are quick to use, trim the string ends automatically and so close to the shaft that you will never poke yourself with those pesky pointy string ends left from using diagonal cutters. My ONLY problem with them is that they are pretty heavy. But they are gorgeous looking, especially the gold and black. I now use the Fender lockers almost exclusively on my custom guitars. They work great, are slightly lighter than the Planet Waves. and line up perfectly because of the pins on the back (of course I use a jig to get the pins holes drilled and aligned perfectly).
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I’ve never switched tuners but generally prefer locking in my modern guitars. Would prob be inclined to keep them traditional in a classic strat or tele, though.

Comment

I am not a fan of them at all. Much prefer normal ones

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              I happen to love locking tuners. They are so convenient and quick. I especially like the Planet Waves auto trim tuners. They work like magic, are quick to use, trim the string ends automatically and so close to the shaft that you will never poke yourself with those pesky pointy string ends left from using diagonal cutters. My ONLY problem with them is that they are pretty heavy. But they are gorgeous looking, especially the gold and black. I now use the Fender lockers almost exclusively on my custom guitars. They work great, are slightly lighter than the Planet Waves. and line up perfectly because of the pins on the back (of course I use a jig to get the pins holes drilled and aligned perfectly).
                              +1 on the PWs. Don't mind the added weight, since the axes with them are still balanced. Got a set of the Sperzel ones, not bad, but I prefer the feel and tuning accuracy of the PWs.
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                                Perhaps you are using them incorrectly. I have used literally dozens of locking sets and it is all that I use on my custom builds, and I have never had such a problem. I use Planet Waves and Fender two-pin locking tuners. I don't pull the strings tight through the hole before tightening the lock, I leave enough slack in the strings so I can remove/change/modify the pups without having to remove the strings from the tuners. I have (repeat) NEVER had a problem doing it this way.
                                Well, I do pull the strings tight through the lock because I thought part of the whole locking tuners discourse is no string winds, no friction, more stability.
                                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 02-28-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X