banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Some Amps Have A "Normal" And A "Bright" Input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Some Amps Have A "Normal" And A "Bright" Input?

So back before channel jumping and all that was invented, why did they find the need to put two inputs on amps? Couldn't a simple "Bright" switch do the same thing without all the noise and hassle of unplugging the guitar?

Re: Why Do Some Amps Have A "Normal" And A "Bright" Input?

One used to be for a mic and the other for the instrument.

Comment

A switch would’ve cost more and been more prone to failure.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

was one for lead and one for rhythm?
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It was simply a more primitive form of bright switch, I'd think. Perhaps cheaper, perhaps lazier. Perhaps amp designers hadn't considered that a bright switch might be preferable by some players, and they just figured someone could easily plug in to the other channel.

Some makers used different input resistors on different inputs too, without calling one "normal" and the other "bright."

Ampeg famously used "guitar" and "accordion" on their two inputs.

I find bright channels and bright switches great for humbucker guitars.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-28-2019, 12:02 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

They are separated inputs for normal people and bright people.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
              So back before channel jumping and all that was invented, why did they find the need to put two inputs on amps? Couldn't a simple "Bright" switch do the same thing without all the noise and hassle of unplugging the guitar?
              According to Fender manuals on the fender amps I’ve had, input 1 is for regular guitars ( bright) input 2 for high output or active pickups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie1971 View Post
                According to Fender manuals on the fender amps I’ve had, input 1 is for regular guitars ( bright) input 2 for high output or active pickups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Some amps have a second channel with 6 to 15 dB of attenuation so that higher output pickups don't hit the preamp so hard. That might be what this is in reference to.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The first time I got a stereo chorus pedal I was very excited because I could plug into both channels at the same time.

Turns out I should not have been using the 'bright' channel. :P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

On a stock tweed deluxe, the only difference is a bright cap between the channels, but on a lot of other amps there is scope to have a completely different voice in each channel. It is really like having two amps in one and is the predecessor to today's modern channel switching amps. It also allowed for two separate instruments to use the amp at once. Take the blackface bassmans: they are designed to have a bass into one channel and a guitar into the other! Not many people do that these days but people like elvis used to run his mic into scotty Moores guitar amp, and buck Owen's and don rich both plugged into a tweed bassman for years.
                    It can even save your skin. Once at a gig the house pa crapped out, so the singer/harp player in the band I was in ran a vocal mic all night into the unused channel of my twin reverb. Sure it didnt sound amazing, but it certainly had an old skool character lol. It is important to remember that these amps were built in a different era that had different needs and priorities to today. Also the needs and priorities we have today are a direct result of all of the innovations and experimentation of the past.
                    Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-28-2019, 01:19 PM.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by vinnie1971 View Post
                      Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      Some amps have a second channel with 6 to 15 dB of attenuation so that higher output pickups don't hit the preamp so hard. That might be what this is in reference to.
                      Yes. There's the output difference between 1 and 2 but in other amps there are inputs with different voicings altogether.

So the Tweed Deluxe for example has two bright inputs (1 and 2 depending on high or low volume pickups) and two normal inputs (1 and 2) for a total of 4 inputs.

Comment

My Laney has high and low inputs
                        Like some above said
                        I believe it was high and low z outputs, ie, active/passive pickups
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                          Who switches inputs on the same guitar in the middle of a set?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            Who switches inputs on the same guitar in the middle of a set?
                            Some theoretical guitarist from the 50s or 60s who likes the sound of one input for some songs and the other input on other songs.

He didn't say it happened. He was just giving an example of how you could use it.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

One is for days of depression, the other when the coffee has kicked in...

Comment

Working...
                              X