Boss GT-100 and headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-100 and headphones

I have a Boss GT-100 and love it. I’ve used it with headphones before and only had my iPhone in ear headphones the ones you get when you buy the phone (wired) and it sounded pretty good with them even with the output maxed.
    Today I bought a pair of over the ear Sony headphones for about $200. Listening to music on them sounds amazing. However plugged into the GT-100 isn’t that great. I had to turn down the output, because they were breaking up and for example the stereo pitchshifter effect I have on a couple patches doesn’t even sound like it, where as on the cheap Apple in ear phones sounded awesome.

Any experience with this, or settings I should look into? It doesn’t sound that clear, and I have the output on the GT-100 set to line out/phones as it should be.

Re: Boss GT-100 and headphones

I listen to my boss me-25 via plain headphones (some average priced Creative model - around 50EUR) for years and they've been just great.

Comment

Did you check the impedance, frequency range and response, and power rating before buying headphones ensuring that they are compatible???

Goes without saying that closed back will sound different from open back will sound different from in ear. And so on and so forth.

Also bear in mind that Apple seems to do some fancy footwork when it comes to audio (at least so far as I can tell i.e. stuff played on an iPad sounds way different from stuff played on an Android device like a Samsung device or example). You may very well find that what you’re hearing out of the Sony headphones is probably closer to what it really DOES sound like (or closer anyway).
      Last edited by dpaterson; 02-28-2019, 11:56 AM.

Comment

It sounds like an impedance thing or something. I have a nice pair of Yamaha in-ear monitors that sound great with my phone or iPod, but when I try to use them with the Aviom monitor system at church they distort and sound terrible.

Comment

I wouldn’t know in regards to impedance etc I just figured since the iPhone headphones worked well and they’re fairly cheap a nice pair like these would get me an awesome sounds. These are the ones I have. https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/h...es/mdr-xb950n1

So a bit of info, I messed around with it a bit and here’s what I noticed. Too much low end. I think this has to do with the headphones having too much bass built in already.
          I have the bass boost off of course on the headphones. I actually don’t even turn them on, don’t have to when using a cord so not using any of its features.

Anyways, I tried messing around with the Global EQ settings on the GT-100 and boosted the high gain to +12db and it sounds tons better. I left low and mid gain on 0db. Sounds really good actually. Before when I tested it and chugged on the low E is was breaking up a bit. Now it’s fine. The acoustic sim with these on sounds amazing.
          Last edited by kramer.geetar; 03-01-2019, 12:55 AM.

Comment

This (pic. below) could have something to do with it I'd say!!! LOL!!!

If you're only using the headphones for entertainment purposes then probably just fine. Also: those headphones have a lot of features ("gimmicks")??? Then again: they are Sony (always been a huge Sony fan but mainly when it comes to video not audio).

But if you're trying to get an accurate representation of your tone then probably not the best headphones to be using (Sennheiser having been my personal choice for this type of thing "forever and a day").

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony Bass Phones.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	5813080
            Last edited by dpaterson; 03-01-2019, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Haha yea I know. I wanted something I could use for both so it’s ok.

Comment

Working...
              X