banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59/Custom Oriented With 59 Coil Closest to Bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom Oriented With 59 Coil Closest to Bridge?

I'm looking to rewire my Strat with a Jazz/59 and 59/Custom combo, both with A4s. Currently it just has a standard 3 way switch and I feel that wastes its potential.

I want to wire it like this:

1- Series Bridge
    2- Parallel Bridge
    3- Inner Coils Parallel (for a stratty sound)
    4- Parallel Neck
    5- Series Neck

My question is, how should I orient the pickups to get the best tone all around? I was thinking of putting the bridge in upsidedown so that I get the Jazz/Custom combo, but would that ruin the voicing of 4 and 5 by having the 59 coil so close to the bridge?

Re: 59/Custom Oriented With 59 Coil Closest to Bridge?

The Custom is the slug coil. They do that so stock wiring splits to the Custom coil. But you miss out on a smoother series sound by having the hotter coil nearer the bridge.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

So the inner coil for the 59/C is the Custom as standard configuration? The inner coil (slug) on the Jazz/59 is the 59 coil, so do you reckon it would be worth it to switch it so the Jazz is on the inside given it has a better split sound on it's own? That wouldn't make too much a difference to its series and parallel sounds when it's on it's own right?

Comment

Yes, Custom is the inner coil as stock. I would be fine with splitting to the 59 for neck and bridge position. No, the orientation of the neck won't make or break it. You'll get subtle differences from what coil it is, if it's inner or outer, or if it's slug or screw.
        Last edited by Clint 55; 03-09-2019, 02:17 PM.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Clint 55, '59 -
          I don't split coils, so this happened: On one of my Strats (outsource body) my bridge 59/Custom is a little too far from the bridge giving it less treble than I need. So I turned the p'up around 180 degrees so the stronger slug side is closest to the bridge, NOT the poles.
          The treble was increased greatly, I brought this up once a couple years ago but no one was interested. Oh well.
          So yeah, that coil (slug) will be very bright if split and closest to the bridge. Loud Strat like sound alone, but I bet great with the split on either of your neck coils.
          Steve Buffington

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
            I'm looking to rewire my Strat with a Jazz/59 and 59/Custom combo, both with A4s. Currently it just has a standard 3 way switch and I feel that wastes its potential.

I want to wire it like this:

1- Series Bridge
            2- Parallel Bridge
            3- Inner Coils Parallel (for a stratty sound)
            4- Parallel Neck
            5- Series Neck

My question is, how should I orient the pickups to get the best tone all around? I was thinking of putting the bridge in upsidedown so that I get the Jazz/Custom combo, but would that ruin the voicing of 4 and 5 by having the 59 coil so close to the bridge?
            As you need both p'ups to be 4-con and a real superswitch to be able to build the pairings as described, it doesn't really matter how you physically orient'em; the pairings are made by choosing the coils you want and tell the superswitch how to connect'em.

/Peter
            Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
              As you need both p'ups to be 4-con and a real superswitch to be able to build the pairings as described, it doesn't really matter how you physically orient'em; the pairings are made by choosing the coils you want and tell the superswitch how to connect'em.

/Peter
              Well I know that, but given that each coil on each pickup is voiced differently, and the notched Strat tone is best replicated from using the inner coils, I wanted to make sure I got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
                Well I know that, but given that each coil on each pickup is voiced differently, and the notched Strat tone is best replicated from using the inner coils, I wanted to make sure I got it right.
                And how would you know what "right" is with the Jazz/'59 neck p'up? It's '59n screw coil/JazzN slug coil or viceversa?

/Peter
                Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I misspoke earlier, the inner slug coil on the neck is the Jazz coil.

Comment

Then I'd split to the 59 and Custom. That'll sound good and be hum cancelling.
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      Then I'd split to the 59 and Custom. That'll sound good and be hum cancelling.
                      So flip the neck pickup so that the 59 screw coil is towards the inside?

Comment

That would be cool. It would give you inner coils plus neck screw and bridge slug and would sound good.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                        X