How's my mix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's my mix?

After working on these live recordings for over a month I ended up just getting some new plug ins from Waves and now I'm basically having to start over again lol. But I've been experimenting with some of the new software all day and here's an updated mix I spit out. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

(keep in mind this is live on stage and not studio)

Edit: Forgot to add I'm playing the main rhythm guitar (from the start)
    -
    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Re: How's my mix?

I will check this out later today when I can fire up my monitors!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I think it sounds good. Listened on the phone.
      How are you recording? Into a DAW off the mixer?

Comment

Nice wide soundstage, everything sounds clear and nothing sticks out in a bad way. Nice work!
        If I were being super-picky, I think there's a bit too much sizzle, but that's personal preference.

Comment

Thanks guys!

It's always interesting to be mixing a whole bunch of stuff and then as you go through it you learn and get better and figure out things you didn't know when you started. I've been going through this right now AND just last week I upgraded my crappy reference monitors to a new set of Yamaha HS5's. Those have made a WORLD of difference and now I'm cycling through the set again and remixing it. Here's a track I just uploaded from the "new" mixes.

-

Comment

This one was tough and took me the better part of the last two days. Just a lot of moving parts in this song. Took a while to get it all sitting where it should.

-

Comment

I’d have to listen on some better speakers, only listened through my phone, but it sounds like the rhythm guitars need to come up a little on that last one.

You all sound good, but your background singers are amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                This one was tough and took me the better part of the last two days. Just a lot of moving parts in this song. Took a while to get it all sitting where it should.

Sounds good! WOW -- two days?! That's bananas!

When I have a song fully edited and ready for actual mixing (and I don't edit and mix on the same day if I can help it), my general rule of thumb is one hour for each minute of audio; so I try to mix a five minute song within five hours. However, I consider vocal prep as part o the editing process, and that takes ages to get ready!

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  Sounds good! WOW -- two days?! That's bananas!

When I have a song fully edited and ready for actual mixing (and I don't edit and mix on the same day if I can help it), my general rule of thumb is one hour for each minute of audio; so I try to mix a five minute song within five hours. However, I consider vocal prep as part o the editing process, and that takes ages to get ready!
                  Well not like ALL of the two days lol!

In between getting interrupted and having to stop and start it was probably 5 or 6 hours spread out. Gimme Shelter just has a lot of moving parts. Plus at one point I thought I was done but when I got the mixdown I realized I had a problem where the mastering limiter was causing an audible pumping effect on the intro. It took a bit to troubleshoot what was causing it and it turned out to be the kick drum thumps were the culprit. Once I cut the intro kicks off to a separate track and then dialed them in a bit differently for that particular part it solved the problem.
                  -

Comment

I've only been able to listen to this on a laptop with pretty basic sound so I don't want to really offer an opinion yet, not until I get to listen on a decent system.
                    I will say what I'm hearing sounds pretty good.
                    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
                      Well not like ALL of the two days lol!

In between getting interrupted and having to stop and start it was probably 5 or 6 hours spread out. Gimme Shelter just has a lot of moving parts. Plus at one point I thought I was done but when I got the mixdown I realized I had a problem where the mastering limiter was causing an audible pumping effect on the intro. It took a bit to troubleshoot what was causing it and it turned out to be the kick drum thumps were the culprit. Once I cut the intro kicks off to a separate track and then dialed them in a bit differently for that particular part it solved the problem.
                      That’s when sidechaining is your friend. Low freqs wreak havoc on compressors. I don’t usually use compression on my 2-bus and if I do it’s very minimal. I do use an m-s EQ, though. I also have four buses before my 2-bus divided by frequency so that I have a final bit of control on the balance of the mix as a whole.
                      For example, my signal flow for a kick drum would be [after the various tracks are bounced down to a single kick track]:
                      Kick drum bus with whatever effects are needed > drum bus with overall compression and reverbs > sub mix buses divided by frequency > 2-bus. That gives me a few opportunities to shape the sound before it ever reaches the 2-bus but most importantly gives me the opportunity to keep the levels in check so my average level is around -9dBFS.
                      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 03-26-2019, 05:27 AM.

Comment

I just deleted and reuploaded the mix in my first post for You Can't Always Get What You Want. Should be a fair bit better now.
                        -

Comment

I've finally finished going through the entire set. Mixes are DONE. Here's the last song of the set!

(Again, me playing the rhythm guitar - ie, the main riff)

-

Comment

Sounds nice! I think you can beef up the low freqs a bit.

Comment

WoW !!! Great sounds. You are a talented person. Keep doing your favourite thing.
                              I am a teacher and write an essay on
                              https://samedayessay.com/ сontact me

Comment

Working...
                              X