New Bass Day squier VM PJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bass Day squier VM PJ

I like it, the neck feels chunkier than my last bass, just enough to feel like I'm really gripping the neck and there's enough space between strings for my slow lazy fingers
    Only tested it very briefly through my Supersonic 22 guitar amp and at very low volume as I don't have a bass amp yet
    But she sounds good
    I think the pickups are ceramic but so far
    It immediately had that more rock n roll P Bass sound, and the bridge pickup has more growl and burp,

On my last bass the pickups came from the factory as one "squier, designed by fender" pickup and one "Duncan designed", appears to have been built while they were transitioning to their in house pickups and I got one of each, and they didn't hum cancel together or match so great.
    These pickups on my very first, very short listen, are decently matched and hum cancelling so I'm happy!
    Tuners are nice, they are open back vintage style and are smooth
    Not as deep a blue as many fender's LPB color, almost like they crossed it with that ice blue metallic they used to do

It is set up ok out of the box surprisingly
    Now time for the part I hate about new axes which is taking that damn plastic off the guard
    The indoor lighting makes it look a little washed out I'll try to get better pic later

And I gotta go find an amp.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Re: New Bass Day squier VM PJ

Nice bass, our new bass player is using one of them and it works pretty well for him

Comment

Nice. Very solid instruments for not a lot of cash.

Comment

Nice P bass.
        I bought a Squier VM Jazz 5 two years ago and really like it. Fender designed pickups are really good and what I expected for a classic passive jazz sound. The setup was perfect (low action and perfect fret job) and even if the temp/humidity is fluctuating a lot during the year, I only had to play with the trossrod for quarter/half a turn here and there. Don't know the finish on the back of the neck but mine was a bit sticky. I used a 1000 grit sandpaper (4-5 passes) and now it feels like a satin finish and is extremely fast.

Comment

Got a rumble 25 for basic practice and to hold me over while I search for something loud

The 25 I know isn't as good as the 40,
          But I wanted to avoid getting one of those practice amps that's kinda expensive and really really good for practice but it's not loud enough for drums.
          So I decided to spend less now and get one that's acceptable or adequate for practice and save that extra $100 for whatever I get later.
          Prolly a portaflex head or rumble head and either a 15" or 210 cab.

I'll test the 25W when I get home and see, I think it'll be fine

Comment

Ah the rumble 25 got here
            It sounds like the 40 but not as loud
            I didn't realize there was no gain knob on the 25, I don't seem to mind so far. The amount of drive they dialed in seems versatile. Not too crunchy and not buzzy.
            Sounds good, I played with the EQ a bit and it really liked to be set flat. Maybe a little mid boost.
            It is worth the price i think for now

Comment

Setting the EQ flat is a good starting point. A lot of GOOD players don't set a lot of EQ. That something I learned myself and I tend to have it set flat with a little mid boost on the amp as well. My bass has active treble and bass controls so I can dial in the rest right there.

Comment

Working...
              X