Boss CE-2 Noise Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss CE-2 Noise Issue

I recently picked up an 80s CE-2 and have this problem where I get a "static" or "crackly" quality to my sound when its engaged. This happens when playing or not, and I've tried with battery and a friedman power grid to the same effect. I know its on old pedal and all that but it's kiiiiinda annoying and disappointing considering its main purpose is to give me that crystalline clean chorus sound. Any ideas what could cause this or what I can troubleshoot?

Also related, I was looking into getting it modded but I don't see any mentions on the Keeley website for mods that isn't 7 years old. Do they still do "send it in" mods? Are there other good alternatives if not?
    Originally posted by Rockstar216
    Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Re: Boss CE-2 Noise Issue

Clean the jacks with contact cleaner.

Comment

Might need new electrolytic caps too, those are 30+ years old now.

Comment

+1 to both of these posts
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I have the same pedal. The caps should still be good.

Comment

You never really know how it's been stored for all those years if it was recently purchased used.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
              You never really know how it's been stored for all those years if it was recently purchased used.
              It also could be something else in the signal chain, a bad cord, dirty AC power or a bunch of other things.

Comment

I had an old CE-2 before. Although it sounded great, it introduced a subtle noise to my signal that really bugged me, so I got rid of it.
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                  It also could be something else in the signal chain, a bad cord, dirty AC power or a bunch of other things.
                  He said he tried it with a battery, but yes, it could be cables or other things too. It's hard to diagnose stuff over the interwebs.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    He said he tried it with a battery, but yes, it could be cables or other things too. It's hard to diagnose stuff over the interwebs.
                    I just ordered the correct ACA Boss type 12v power supply for my CE-2.
                    Hoping it doesn't introduce any hum.
                    You can run a CE-2 on a daisy chain 9v or DC brick any power supply with a common ground.
                    You cannot run a CE-2 on a single power 9v or 12v daisy chain.
                    There is always the possibility the OP's pedal was damaged due to the wrong power supply at one point.

Comment

Could also just be something as simple as it being out of bias...somebody could have played with the internal trimmer....not that hard to trim back to useable again.

Comment

Ok so weird development. I swear I had tried it on a battery before, but apparently not because trying it last night there was no issue anymore. What's going on here? Why would an isolated power source like the Friedman Power Grid cause an issue like this, when a battery does not?
                        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho8807 View Post
                          Ok so weird development. I swear I had tried it on a battery before, but apparently not because trying it last night there was no issue anymore. What's going on here? Why would an isolated power source like the Friedman Power Grid cause an issue like this, when a battery does not?
                          Because you need a 12 volt ACA adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                            Because you need a 12 volt ACA adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27317095483...ZkJhtAQtigxbf0
                            If you don't want a bunch of individual wall warts, several power supplies (like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and Pedal Power Mondo) offer switchable voltage. I have a Mondo on my big board and it runs my CE-2 and CS-3 (both MIJ with ACA power) flawlessly.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              If you don't want a bunch of individual wall warts, several power supplies (like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and Pedal Power Mondo) offer switchable voltage. I have a Mondo on my big board and it runs my CE-2 and CS-3 (both MIJ with ACA power) flawlessly.
                              That's kind of unfortunate. I just bought this power supply and its one of the only ones without any variable voltage outputs. Of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X