banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

I re-did a bit of the bass track with more drive & practically maxed the EQ on my Behringer BD121 bass pedal...did I get it right? Or does it still suck???

If you think it's messed up (too high in the mix/too low/too boomy etc..) any/all suggestions are welcome
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

My favorite composition of yours so far. I look forward to hearing the completed song with vocals!
      Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
      Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
      Marshall 1960a
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Why thank you kindly sir

It might take a while yet ...but the vocals will be in the finest cookie cutter tradition as it has always been (see below)

Should be fun trying to record/produce his vocals....I've done it before but only for our super lo-fi 'gurglegoregrind' project ...he takes a different approach for that one

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Lol. Cheers bro. Older forum members (at least Jolly if he remembers me) can attest to the fact that this used to be exactly my style. Anyway, didn't your want to do non-growled vocals originally though? Did that change, or did I misinterpret?
          Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
          Marshall 1960a
          Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Yeah, that's right ..I actually wrote the song (with a bit more of a rockin' groove than our usual fare) because he (my vocalist buddy) wanted to try something different/Motorhead-ish he said. But now he's got cold feet & say's he's just going to stick with the tried & true kinda stuff as usual

I'm cool with that..I'm pretty fond of his "blackened-death vokills' as he calls them

Youtube

Comment

Lol! Well, fair enough. If it were me I'd give him a hard time and try to get him to push his boundaries. You could always agree to scrap the takes if he ends up having trouble. But hey, vokills are cool too.
              Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
              Marshall 1960a
              Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Well I finally finished the whole track (..still minus the vokills lol) ...but yeah, redid the bass track & a couple of the guitar parts/tracks with some sounds from my Mooer Ge300 ...balanced things out again again & it's all pretty much done now. I'm thinking I will ask my vocalist buddy to come over sometime next week & track his voc's..

Really happy with the rough/real sound of the mix. I had a mental block about computer recording for years 'cause I thought everything always ended up sounding over-produced & fake/plastic/the same..but this sounds like it was recorded in a garage on a four track (but still nice & ballsy!)

I might experiment a bit more with the drums 'cause I bought Ugritone's "Kvlt Drums II" pack a short while ago & there are a bunch of really cool/raw drum kits in that pack that I could check out ( it's only a matter of clicking on a new kit to change my whole midi drum track..so easy as pie) ..but as things stand this mix is already sort of the true-metal/doom-rock sound of my dreams.. ..love it!

Youtube

Comment

It can be very challenging when you have an instrumental mix complete and then you try to add vocals. Don't be surprised when you have to reset everything and start from scratch when the vx are done. It's easier than trying to carve out space for them later.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Yes, I know what you mean. This won't be my first time mixing in vocals though. I've done it a couple of times before.. ("gurglegoregrind" voc's) with my grindcore side project..

iike so..

Yeah..^^ that's 'super lo-fi' as opposed to the just 'lo-fi-ish' sound of this new track, but hopefully the mixing principle's will be the same

What was actually a first for me was mixing in a real bass guitar this time. I've only ever worked with pitch shifted guitar tracks for bass before..I found it quite tricky (both dialing in an appropriate bass tone & mixing it in at the right level...) I think it turned out pretty cool in the end though..way better than I hoped.

Can't wait to get going with some new goregrind stuff...the real bsss guitar track makes a HUGE difference. My friend and I were think of doing an Autopsy-inspired doom-death project as well...need big grimy sounding bass for that.

Youtube

Comment

Vocals - Take 1

My buddy came over for a short while yesterday..just to see how things sounded with my mics/recording setup. He wanted to see how heavy it could get without sounding washed out so he did some full on Malevolent Creation/Deicide/CC type classic cookie cutter growls. JUst two quick tracks to check things out. We settled on a dynamic ..my Samson SM58 clone, which we both thought sounded the best out of my cheap mic collecton haha.

It went into my Behringer 'Mini Mic' modelling mic preamp -> Zoom G1XFour for a bit of reverb/delay -> audio interface. Although I probably won't use the Zoom when we record the actual thing..just dial in the reverb/delay with Reaper..

He'll be doing his usual 'blackened death' vocals when we actually record ..but this sounded cool too
                      Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-08-2020, 06:26 AM.

Youtube

Comment

A number of comments; Constructive criticism, or just my opinion. Take it any way you want

#1 - overall like it.
                        #2 - I thought the bass was best on the very first one. Great tone and level mix. Lost it in the following ones
                        #3 - drums were great, nicely done
                        #4 That lead is so lost in the mix I can't hear a damn thing. Sounds like a decent lead. Not loving the tone. A little sharp/screachy, yet still not coming through. Do over on the neck, raise levels. It should be punching me in the face out of the gate. I'm more like "Is he shredding something there? Sounds like it might be cool..."

That said better than anything I can/have done!
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks!

That last clip with the vocals was just the vocals laid on top of everything else. Did'nt remix it at all. Maybe his vocals clashed with the bass or something? (they're boh about the same frequency ). My bandmate and I peronally love the cruddier/dirtier/grungier sound of the second bass track that I laid down (the dragon in the clouds/sunset videos) but if you liked the first that's cool

The thing is if you listen to the older band track I posted in this thread, you'll see that this cruddy sound better matches that older tracks cruddy sound and we've always been a cruddy sounding band ..it's what we like

Yeah the solo tone sucked a bit 'cuz I used the line out/speaker emulation from my Laboga amp & that sounds muddy/weird as hell. I actually recorded it as a practice take but it's a nice solo (and I'm not a guy who can replicate solo's..I play them and I'm done haha!) ..so I decided to use it. Tone could be better and yeah...I will EQ/raise it up in the mix a little when his actual vocals are all done. But I do agree the tone kinda sucks right now..hopefully I can fix it a bit.. let's see

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                          X