banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

Yeah, this started off as a collab 'single' with my band's vocalist. He's been bugging me to do something simple and rocky that he wants to try & actually "sing" over.. (as opposed to growling) so I finally got down to it a couple of days ago. Anyway he had AC/DC or Molly Hatchet in mind & I had Trouble (the band) so it ended up being a bit of both. Now he thinks it's heavy/doomy enough to be a regular band track of ours, so that's probably the way it's headed

We just (sort of) lost our drummer, in the sense that he moved out of town a few months ago though he still travels in for gigs when he can, so I programmed the drums for this song. Also played bass 'cause our bassist is out of town/on vacation for a while too. All that remains is the vocals...he might do that (and get things fine-tuned/cleaned up etc..) at the awesome new studio our regular sound guy just built. Either way my work with this track is done..it's a bit rough around the edges but probably the best I can do at this point in time

It's the first time I've actually recorded a full-length song in Reaper as well..most times I use my loop pedal. (...tracked my rhythm guitars with the loop pedal this time too )

Equipment used: My Laboga The Beast Classic 30W amp, 2001 Charvel Pro series, Ibby SR370E Bass & MT Drummer 2 for the drums (I think it was Dankstar who linked me to their free drum software ..thanks dude, it's come in handy )
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-25-2019, 01:35 AM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

Tweaked the bass track a bit.. (turns out it was a bit misaligned as well)..bass playing/tweaking/mixing is'nt my strong point

I might have some idea's yet, but overall I think this mix is more in the sweet spot than that last one. Everything's a bit clearer & the drums sound like Vinnie Appice is giving them a go. In any case I'm just messing around with things until we hit our sound guy's new studio for the vocals...then he can take over the tweaking/editing

V2

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-26-2019, 05:57 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

....and finally V3

Don't know if this is done much but I had the thought of using 3 bass tracks instead of just the one..so I made two straight copies and panned them hard(ish) L-R, with the original in the middle, (luckily no phase issues!) reduced/reset their levels and it actually sounds pretty cool..nice fat wide growly mids.

Drums are back the way they were before to make room for the big mids...

Youtube

Comment

I will check this out when I get a chance!
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

This is really the only one to hear ...I'm 100% satisfied with it

Got rid of all the crappy FX (compression/Limiting/EQ/hi-lo pass filters etc) that I'd just slapped unnecessarily/excessively everywhere and stuck with just a bit of delay & reverb.

Concentrated on having everything properly aligned & getting my levels right. Then hit it with a mastering preset for loudness ... boom! ..the whole thing came to life

Loving how it sounds now!

Youtube

Comment

And just for kicks, 'cause we still have'nt started on recording vocals..

V5:

just fiddled with the bass a bit ..dunno if it sounds any better (..or even different) ..at this point I'm just messing around

Youtube

Comment

Sounds cool! Glad the drums worked. What mastering plugin?

Comment

Nice tone on the guitars. How did you record them? It sounds like there may have been some latency issues (some interface drivers can do that) or something on one or both of the rhythm guitars during recording. One is just behind the other and it almost sounds like a delay through my speakers. Not trying to be mean, it's really bugging me and I'm sure you'd want to know, I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't seriously affect the listening experience for me. Time-wise, something just isn't right. Maybe have a look at everything in the DAW and make sure it's all lined up.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  Sounds cool! Glad the drums worked. What mastering plugin?
                  Thanks! Yeah, the drums worked great and were super easy/quick to throw together.. did'nt really edit them at all except for shifting their pitch down a bit on the whole track to better match the rest of the stuff going on..

I used Landr (online mastering) ..it gets the job done. But the whole thing will probably be redone when we hit the studio for the vocals..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                    Nice tone on the guitars. How did you record them? It sounds like there may have been some latency issues (some interface drivers can do that) or something on one or both of the rhythm guitars during recording. One is just behind the other and it almost sounds like a delay through my speakers. Not trying to be mean, it's really bugging me and I'm sure you'd want to know, I wouldn't bring it up if it didn't seriously affect the listening experience for me. Time-wise, something just isn't right. Maybe have a look at everything in the DAW and make sure it's all lined up.
                    I used my loop pedal lol..just the guitar into the amp (no fx) & then out to the looper using a Celestion IR (forget which one ) from my Mooer Radar pedal.

Yeah I screwed the timing up on the guitar/bass tracks because I had'nt stuck the drum loops together tightly (there were gaps here and there that I did'nt notice until I zoomed in and checked a while later ). I though there was a descrepancy between the looper's drum track tempo & the Mt Drummer 2 drum software tempo I used later. But it was those gaps.

Tried compensating by editing the the guitars..(adding a bit here/snipping a bit there) but things got sloppy 'cause I did'nt have them properly aligned to start with & then I hacked the **** out of them. . Anyway the good news is I saved all the original tracks so I'll get our sound guy to re-mix/put things together from scratch when we hit the studio..

Thinks I've had my fill of mixing for now...
                    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 05-07-2019, 06:39 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Gotta hate when one mistake leads to snowballing consequences. Hopefully it will all get fixed up and I'm sure it will sound great when it's in time.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Thanks

..and yeah, hope so

Youtube

Comment

:BUMP: 'cuz I just gave this another go for kicks..

Swapped the drum kit for the Ugritone "Riot Drums" kit I just bought (Raw as **** = sounds awesome to me!) & just jammed a couple more guitar tracks using one of my GE300's tone capture's ..this was just a rough check to see what it would sound like with the Ugritone drums ..I'll probably re-do the guitars & have to EQ/tweak the drums a bit (already did...but Ill fiddle about some more). It already sounds quite a bit better than what came before I think

Youtube

Comment

That's more like it! My favourite rhythm tone you've come up with and great doomy riffs. A little bass and it will be perfect.

Comment

Thanks

Yeah the bass needs to come up a bit..

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X