Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

Default Re: First try at recording/mixing a song for my band....

Lol! Well, fair enough. If it were me I'd give him a hard time and try to get him to push his boundaries. You could always agree to scrap the takes if he ends up having trouble. But hey, vokills are cool too.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Well I finally finished the whole track (..still minus the vokills lol) ...but yeah, redid the bass track & a couple of the guitar parts/tracks with some sounds from my Mooer Ge300 ...balanced things out again again & it's all pretty much done now. I'm thinking I will ask my vocalist buddy to come over sometime next week & track his voc's..

Really happy with the rough/real sound of the mix. I had a mental block about computer recording for years 'cause I thought everything always ended up sounding over-produced & fake/plastic/the same..but this sounds like it was recorded in a garage on a four track (but still nice & ballsy!)

I might experiment a bit more with the drums 'cause I bought Ugritone's "Kvlt Drums II" pack a short while ago & there are a bunch of really cool/raw drum kits in that pack that I could check out ( it's only a matter of clicking on a new kit to change my whole midi drum track..so easy as pie) ..but as things stand this mix is already sort of the true-metal/doom-rock sound of my dreams.. ..love it!

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

Darkness on the edge of Tone TwilightOdyssey's Avatar

It can be very challenging when you have an instrumental mix complete and then you try to add vocals. Don't be surprised when you have to reset everything and start from scratch when the vx are done. It's easier than trying to carve out space for them later.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.
    FACEBOOK page for As Follows.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

Yes, I know what you mean. This won't be my first time mixing in vocals though. I've done it a couple of times before.. ("gurglegoregrind" voc's) with my grindcore side project..

iike so..

Yeah..^^ that's 'super lo-fi' as opposed to the just 'lo-fi-ish' sound of this new track, but hopefully the mixing principle's will be the same

What was actually a first for me was mixing in a real bass guitar this time. I've only ever worked with pitch shifted guitar tracks for bass before..I found it quite tricky (both dialing in an appropriate bass tone & mixing it in at the right level...) I think it turned out pretty cool in the end though..way better than I hoped.

Can't wait to get going with some new goregrind stuff...the real bsss guitar track makes a HUGE difference. My friend and I were think of doing an Autopsy-inspired doom-death project as well...need big grimy sounding bass for that.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp