Dumb question maybe - phase on bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question maybe - phase on bass

I was wondering do bass players with two pickup basses every play them out of phase? If so what is the effect? And could you give me some examples of famous players (clips) that use this tone?

Re: Dumb question maybe - phase on bass

I’m not a career-dedicated bass player, but previously was the bass player in a band for 4-5 years and handle bass for all my recordings. I have never deliberately attempted to put the pickups out of phase, but I would expect only half out of phase could be useful. Fully out of phase I would expect to be too thin to serve as the bass foundation for the music, but it could be an interesting special effect.

Comment

I know those switches came stock on old Carvins from the 70s and 80s, but I've never tried a phase switch on a bass. It would seem odd to use a sound where all the middle frequencies are sucked out. You don't really want a thin bass sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It could work on a jazz, neck on full then wind in just a touch of out of phase bridge. Usually I don’t want to cut any bass though. I think series/parallel is a more popular mod. Between two jazz pickups or with the two sides of a P pickup.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          I think series/parallel is a more popular mod. Between two jazz pickups or with the two sides of a P pickup.
          I have S-P switching with a dpdt push-pull on both of my Jazzes and my Warmoth. Love it.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
          '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
          '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
          '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Working...
          X