X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New amp purchase... feeling nervous

50% of your tone is in in the amp....
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I agree. Honestly i’d say 40%+ is in the hands. Man, i thought it sounded good when i was playing it, but my friend also tried it thurs night. Man, he made it sound 10x better. Makes me keep practicing!

Comment

Whats that I hear..? Did someone say sound clips..?

Comment

Congrats!! Glad it turned out better than expected!!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Might post some clips later.

Yes, very glad it worked out. The wattage scared me, but really, getting this amp turned out to be one of the greatest decisions in a long while.

Comment

Here are 2 clips:

Comment

Comment

I think the x2n (top clip) sounds really nice through this amp. Super distortion (not featured in either of the clips) seems to have more high end and cut through a little more. Both sound great, though. Really, though, the super strats in these clips don’t really demonstrate how well the amp responds to dynamics and how rich the transparent tones are. Still like it w/ the super strats, apples and oranges, really.

Comment

Anyone tried the Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb? High end solid state Fender that allegedly is a spot on emulation of a blackface twin. On-board 5 position attenuation selectable for 1W, 5W, 22W, 40W all the way up to the model correct 85W. Has XLR direct out with cabinet sims for SM57 mic and ribbon mic of amp cab, or you can use the "sterile" line out setting. With the solid state & solid pine cabinetry + special neodymium magneted Jensens, they have the weight for a 2-12 twin down to 33 lbs. I am tempted, reviews I've read say it's a very genuine blackface twin sound and feel. Anyone have experience here? Seems like a great gigging option, and you wouldn't have to risk tubes going south at the least opportune time. Reviews I have read say it's pretty spot on, I mostly am worried it would not be as touch sensitive as say a Deluxe Reverb or full blown twin, which would make it a no...

Comment

The Tone Masters get great reviews. Seems like a better choice than lugging around 70 lb amp. Some are showing up used for a few hundred less.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I really, really like the idea of the tone master amps but haven't had the chance to play one.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Just for the weight alone
                          If it's close, it's a winner

I am curious as well

My buddy has one of the 70s models

If it didn't have wheels it would be an endtable by his couch
                          (He wouldn't be able to move it)
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

i briefly plugged into a tonemaster and wasnt impressed. im also terribly spoiled since my main amp is a '66 deluxe reverb and i have a '69 dual showman reverb (blackfaced) as well. the tone master sounded ok but was a little flat sounding compared to what im used to

Comment

Gotta agree Jeremy, you are used to some killer real deal amps. When you played the Tone Master, did you work the EQ & attenuation to see if that would sparkle it up? Also, how did you feel about it's touch responsiveness? Your Deluxe Reverb is famous for how it handles string vibrato, etc., and the Hot Rod Deluxe is right there too. The Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head has a lot of the back panel features too, and is tube driven / not a modeler. It actually has better recording interface options, as it has both XLR and USB Audio connections, also w' cabinet sims. Of course if the sims are no good it matters not... I have an older Peavey Classic 20 and it's a great bare bones 22W tube amp. Line out to a nice cab & speaker and it's great. It basically is a smaller Classic 30, which may have been Peavey's best ever amp... I also love the idea of the Tone Master Twin, but if it doesn't cut it the weight wont help me. If I still had my original twin from back when it also would be an end table by now, moving that thing around in a Cleveland winter would about kill you, and that was why I moved on from it to begin with.

Comment

i have a hot rod deluxe as well and while it is a nice amp, theres a reason i use the old dr and the hrd collects dust. i have a peavey classic 30 as well that i couldnt even tell ya the last time i plugged it in. again, a decent amp but the dr does what i want better.

yes, i did turn the knobs on the tone master amp... kinda silly if i didnt right? it wasnt a bad amp but just not as touch sensitive and didnt deliver the tone that im used to and want. it was light and the features are cool, im sure lots of people would be happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X