Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Orange ppc212 vs Engl pro 2x12 vs Zilla Fatboy 2x12

Hold up now.

You said the tone of the Marshall 412 was more what you liked? Which cab was it? standard 1960 type with the t75 speakers?

You said the orange 212 with v30s had to much bass or mids,,,,,,,what do you think it needs more of?

What type of music style or tones do you want?
    Last edited by dave74; 04-03-2019, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      Hold up now.

You said the tone of the Marshall 412 was more what you liked? Which cab was it? standard 1960 type with the t75 speakers?

You said the orange 212 with v30s had to much bass or mids,,,,,,,what do you think it needs more of?

What type of music style or tones do you want?
      Yeah, i liked 1960a with g12t75's. But i don't need this big cab, i want smaller, that i will use in my room and at gigs. I just learned that 8 and 16 ohms V30's are sounding really different. My orange has 2 8ohm V30's and they are darker sounding than 16ohm, especially in this cab. I really love that 80's/90's Metallica sound, whole thrash music, that really crunchy, but also heavy and bright sound, but with a good low end and well pronounced high frequencies for solos. Now i'm playing in the band and it's far from thrash, we're playing some grunge, stoner, blues influenced alternative rock/metal. Alter Bridge is something that we are looking at as our bigger influence. So, i want really universal spectre of sound coming from my amp and cab, because i love playing something heavier and thrashier and mellower stuff. I guess g12t75's are perfect for that thrashy sound, but maybe they are a little to scooped and one directed for other stuff at the same time.
      Last edited by mindys87; 04-03-2019, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Dude, don't call your band "grunge stoner alternative metal" then say you sound like Alter Bridge. That's like telling me Burger King is a gourmet restaurant.

Alter Bridge is a Christian rock band.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          Dude, don't call your band "grunge stoner alternative metal" then say you sound like Alter Bridge. That's like telling me Burger King is a gourmet restaurant.

Alter Bridge is a Christian rock band.
          D I didn't say that we sound like Alter Bridge, but i'm and my band members are influenced by them and their sound at some point, we are far from them musically.

Comment

You might do well with a Marshall 1936 212.
            I really don't believe the v30/h30 will take you far from your current Orange's tone,,,,,or at least not enough.

Comment

You might do well with a Marshall 1936 212.
              I really don't believe the v30/h30 will take you far from your current Orange's tone,,,,,or at least not enough.
              But v30/g412t75 i think would.

Comment

With a 212 flipped vertically you will probably want the v30 down and the t75 up,,,,,,they match better like that IMO.
                The Orange cab is a great cab though ( top-notch construction). Additionally a classic-lead or k100 really pair well with a v30 too.

Comment

With a 212 flipped vertically you will probably want the v30 down and the t75 up,,,,,,they match better like that IMO.
                  The Orange cab is a great cab though ( top-notch construction). Additionally a classic-lead or k100 really pair well with a v30 too.
                  Ok, thanks buddy! I'll let you know what i've decided.

Comment

Originally posted by mindys87 View Post
                    Ok, thanks buddy! I'll let you know what i've decided.
                    Yeah we will love to hear your findings.
                    Since you already are looking at pricey stuff anyways,,,,,David Laboga cabs also do the speaker mixing, customs and even a stock v/k mix 212.

Comment

You know, its funny, I've run an EVH through an Orange 4x12 loaded with V30s and it was horrible and ice-picky, and I couldn't for the lfie of me udnerstand how anyone would ever think Orange cabs are dark and muffled.
                      Then I plugged an actual Orange amp into it just two days ago and sure enough - dark and muddy.
                      --------------------------------------------------------
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

So i decided to get g12t75 and pair it with V30 in my orange 2x12 cab. I flipped it vertically and i like the sound much better now, because i can hear everything very well and it doesn't sound as boomy as it was before. Is it better to put g12t75 on the top?

Comment

Originally posted by mindys87 View Post
                          So i decided to get g12t75 and pair it with V30 in my orange 2x12 cab. I flipped it vertically and i like the sound much better now, because i can hear everything very well and it doesn't sound as boomy as it was before. Is it better to put g12t75 on the top?
                          If it sounds better to you then it IS better, I would say.

IME, most guitar cabs will sound pretty bad until you bring them up to ear level, and even more so if you're playing at lower volume. This presupposes that you're standing very close to your amp. The further away you get, the less this will matter.

My guess is you'd hear more clarity and less boomyness if you flipped it the other way as well, because the speakers are now better aligned with your ears. Think of your ears as microphones. If you wanted to record your amp, you'd place them somewhere in front of one speaker cone. For room reverb, you'd place it further away. But you'd (probably) not place it a meter directly above the speaker.

If you have the space for it, get a couple of wooden risers (or, if you don't min the ugly look, 6 - 8 empty plastic beer or milk crates) and stack your cab on top of it. World of difference.
                          Last edited by Coma; 05-03-2019, 12:28 AM.
                          --------------------------------------------------------
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Working...
                          X