Favorite Dual OD/Distortion Pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Dual OD/Distortion Pedal?

I think it’s actually a stock Blues Junior?

Josh took the switching inspiration from the SD-2, then added the parallel and series stuff with Boss.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Josh took the switching inspiration from the SD-2, then added the parallel and series stuff with Boss.
      I can't remember who it was on a video or maybe even this forum saying it was like a waza bd-2,,,,,,I'm curious what the difference is if any.

Also I think a non-latching switch can be used to hold the gain-stack for leads/fills and release to single-mode(either side depending on the mode-switch's setting). ,,,,,,,,,,,,very cool feature if that's the case. I had not even thought of that let alone try it yet.
      Last edited by dave74; 04-03-2019, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
        Didn’t know that....how do you switch between the two of them?
        You have to manually switch the knob?
        There's a rotary switch with 6 settings on it. For some settings the on/off switch becomes a toggle switch and the pedal is always on. There's also an input to bring your own toggle switch and the on/off acts as normal.

I'm pretty sure the Blues Junior side has had a few of the components placed with higher quality parts and a few of the values changed a little bit so that the two sides of the pedal play nice together.

I haven't played a stock Blues Driver in forever, so I can't confirm by ear if I am in fact hearing anything different.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Sorry Blues Driver not Blues Junior. Lol...

It’s definitely not the Waza custom mode, someone did a video that compared them.

I need to buy this and the Waza to play with.
          Last edited by PFDarkside; 04-03-2019, 06:13 AM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Sorry Blues Driver not Blues Junior. Lol...

It’s definitely not the Waza custom mode.

I need to buy this and the Waza to play with.
            Shoot, I didn't even realize I did that myself.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Also very fond of the Blackstone Mosfet OD. Doesn't mess with the inherent tone of your amp & guitars, just gives two extra channels of gain (either/or, not stackable). Extremely amplike response to touch/pick dynamics & guitar volume knobs. And it's small & inconspicuous, with recessed controls that resist accidents. Great option for those who like the sound of their amp already and don't want to remake it, just get a few more gain stages that feel and behave tubelike. Needs to be first in line before any buffers so it can interact directly with your pickups.

recently got one of these while looking for a camel toe. its a great pedal for sure. how do you typically run it? did you mess with the internal trim pots?

Comment

If you can find one, look for an old Seymour Duncan Twin Tube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	seymour-duncan_sfx-03_001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5813454
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

love the tones i get from mine but wish it had separate eq for each channel

Comment

Here's a pair.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      recently got one of these while looking for a camel toe.
                      Too easy, I am just going to leave this post alone.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        recently got one of these while looking for a camel toe. its a great pedal for sure. how do you typically run it? did you mess with the internal trim pots?
                        At the factory default settings it doesn't produce a whole lot of gain compared to most pedals. I've been running the Drives pretty hot, around three o'clock on the Brown and seven o'clock on the Red (which for the humbucker mode is full up). Mids usually feel right for me at about eleven o'clock - I know full clockwise is supposed to be flat, but the gain structure adds a fair amount of mids at high drive settings.

I haven't tried adjusting the internal trimpots or substituting caps. I've thought about upping the treble gain a bit but haven't felt it necessary so far. I agree that it'd be nice to be able to differentiate the channels more from one another. Still, I get that the box isn't intended to change the character of your tone a lot. It's only meant to be like adding an extra stage of gain to whatever amp you're using.

I know upping the internal master drive could alleviate some midranginess by letting me get more gain at lower drive settings. Still, I do like Church Of Tone style gain where you get extra upper mids when you kick it on - I'd thought that upping the treble gain trimpot inside the Blackstone might sort of approximate that. But I haven't played around with that yet.

At some point I'll dive in and experiment a bit; I think the little box might be more tweakable than it would appear at first.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Here's a pair.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                          I’ve got that GFS Twin Overdrive as well. Pretty versatile... too bad they’re not offering it any more!
                          Originally posted by The Commodores?
                          "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            At the factory default settings it doesn't produce a whole lot of gain compared to most pedals. I've been running the Drives pretty hot, around three o'clock on the Brown and seven o'clock on the Red (which for the humbucker mode is full up). Mids usually feel right for me at about eleven o'clock - I know full clockwise is supposed to be flat, but the gain structure adds a fair amount of mids at high drive settings.

I haven't tried adjusting the internal trimpots or substituting caps. I've thought about upping the treble gain a bit but haven't felt it necessary so far. I agree that it'd be nice to be able to differentiate the channels more from one another. Still, I get that the box isn't intended to change the character of your tone a lot. It's only meant to be like adding an extra stage of gain to whatever amp you're using.

I know upping the internal master drive could alleviate some midranginess by letting me get more gain at lower drive settings. Still, I do like Church Of Tone style gain where you get extra upper mids when you kick it on - I'd thought that upping the treble gain trimpot inside the Blackstone might sort of approximate that. But I haven't played around with that yet.

At some point I'll dive in and experiment a bit; I think the little box might be more tweakable than it would appear at first.
                            gotcha. i run the mids full up. red channel gain at about 10' o'clock, brown gain full up. i roll back the volume on the guitar a fair amount and i love how it cleans up. i dialed the treble gain up a touch to match the brightness of my fender amps and low output pups. its a great little box, still gonna grab a camel toe too

Comment

Don't know if you want TS-9 overdrive - but here is one of my fave's:

Stamps Drive-O-Matic. TS9 and more TS9 with presence and tight/loose. Love it!

Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This one is good. Used it on my last record.

Everything from Overdrive to Distortion to heavy Fuzz attack and also has a dying 9 Volt potentiometer (Little Blue LED dial) for that Flaming Lips/Faust/Ween sound

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                                X