Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	5851156
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: JB/Super D hybrid

Talk to me about that magnet in the JB

Comment

It's my favorite mag for bridge position because it has the most output, and it's balanced with a good amount of bass, gritty mids, and enough treble. The 1st time I tried a double thickness mag I was expecting it to be more aggressive, but it actually makes it fatter and juicier while increasing output. The other benefit to using double thickness is that you can go more vintage for less compression but still get decent output.
      Last edited by Clint 55; 04-04-2019, 06:03 PM.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Wow.
        That's a cool idea for a hybrid. Post some sound clips of that beast when you get a chance. Bad@**
        Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Where'd you buy the doublethick A8?

Same thickness as a Duncan Distortion mag or not?
          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
            Wow.
            That's a cool idea for a hybrid. Post some sound clips of that beast when you get a chance. Bad@**
            Thx! Yes, the 2 coils go together really well and play to each others' strengths of classic but aggressive.

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
            Where'd you buy the doublethick A8?

Same thickness as a Duncan Distortion mag or not?
            Apparently they have 5mm and 6.5mm. I don't remember which one I got haha. They have A5 and A8.

I bought them for you

Comment

And they fit right in without any issues?
              I’m assuming the overall pickup height would be slightly thicker as a result...

Comment

According to the website the 6.5mm is double thick.

Comment

For my all Duncan hybrid I turned 2 spacers on their sides and stuck them in after sanding them a little. For this Duncan and Dimarzio hybrid, the Dimarzio bobbin was taller so I had to doctor the spacers differently on each side then I cut up a pick and used it between the JB coil and the magnet to get it to sit flush with the Dimarzio bobbin.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Here's a sound clip.

I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      ... then I cut up a pick and used it between the JB coil and the magnet to get it to sit flush with the Dimarzio bobbin.
                      And so, 50 years from now, a hundred TGP users argue the tonal merits of NOS 2019-spec guitar picks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

How are you liking this since you've had time to mess with it? Def seems like a neat idea. You should've tried an A5 and a ceramic respectively to see how they would each blend with the other's stock mag.
                        87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

It's insane son, I highly recommend it. It's the most natural sounding bridge pup I've tried so far. It's like a perfect custom shop JB. The Super D merges perfectly with the JB's classic character while compensating for its shortcomings. There isn't a hint of awkwardness in the sound at all. It's 15k so the touch sensitivity isn't quite there yet, but everything else is outstanding. Rings clean top to bottom. Perfect amount of bass mid and treble. The upper mid crunch is there but attenuated a tad. Really beautiful character. I can sense the difference between the bobbin and pole dimensions. It creates a great mismatch.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Nice!

Always wondered what this combo might sound like. Any chance of a drive clip?

And, I agree, it would be kind of cool to see what A5 sounds like. It was a popular mod for the Super D for a short time

Comment

Yeah, I’d love to hear it under gain. Both high and moderate.

Comment

Working...
                              X