No announcement yet.

What do you think of this maple top ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What do you think of this maple top ?

Looks like it didn't get enough sanding prep before staining...that's why it looks splotchy or muddy in places.

But it's not too late. Lightly sand some more ending up with 400 grit. The darker brown should remain in the softer grain. Put some amber stain over the top to create a PRS type tiger eye result.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Nice flame, but the process of staining the raw maple is IMO the worst way to add colour.
      You can see in the carved slope where its really 'muddy'.....as in the wood absorbs way too much of the mix, and you lose the flame. Highly figured wood is very hard to get the balance right......as this top shows.
      Aniline dyes are the way to go on figured maple, stains just smear and transparent finishes kinda bury the figure.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Aniline dyes are the way to go on figured maple, stains just smear and transparent finishes kinda bury the figure.
        Not really sure I agree with this. Here's how mine is coming along:

Comment

Those look great! And yes, you can get nice results with stains, but those PRS, Suhr, etc... tops that really pop are dyed, it makes it more 3D.

Quilted maple and other figured woods gain depth as well as brilliant color when you choose this type of stain. Here's everything you need to know for success.

Comment

I think if you tried dyes you would be blown away.

Comment

Dyes and stains are synonyms here. Stains are simply a dye in a carrier.....like water or alcohol. For furniture, stains have a finishing oil added usually so there is protection as well as the colour tint.

Comment

Dyes are solvent + color. All they do in the end is to deposit color, and nothing else, on/in something.

Stains are solvent + color + binder. They are technically hard finishes.

Many people call things stains, when they are actually dyes.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

On guitars stains and dyes are not synonymous.

Dyes give a different look than stains because they get into the grain, that's why they have more of a 3D look. You can't buy dyes at your local Home Depot or Lowe's and you have to mix them yourself. The results are worth it though.

I posted a link about the differences a few posts back.

Comment

Working...
                  X