banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real pickups behind Van Halen 78 album tone's and others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The real pickups behind Van Halen 78 album tone's and others.

I don't believe anything Ed has said in the past or present , his stories change like the wind blows , in all directions .
    The best tone I liked was when he did the 5150 /LWAN tour .
    Best tour and amp setup before the crap he uses now .

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
      I don't believe anything Ed has said in the past or present , his stories change like the wind blows , in all directions.
      I was thinking along these same lines. I love his tone and style. I question his memory.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        I was thinking along these same lines. I love his tone and style. I question his memory.
        I think he deliberately lied a lot, as everyone at that time was trying to copy him. People, even today, search for the right combination of special gear only he had access to back then. Which of course, never existed.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
          Yeah... I don't have 3 grand...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
          Maybe with the Ehx Synth9 pedal it seems to have Oberheim on it. Been gassing for this pedal for some time.

Isn't there another Destroyer on VH records like Women And Children First that Eddie borrowed from Chris Holmes of W.A.S.P.

Comment

We can only speculate on Edwards pickups if they were rewound before or after the recording of Van Halen 1, which was recorded in 1977 and released in 1978.All the EVH pickup aftermarket in my opinion is just market which came in 2000(year).Edwards first interview 1978,talking about his gear was before or after the first album was recorded??
            Last edited by pittbull; 02-27-2020, 08:08 AM.

Comment

https://youtu.be/mP8MopeZULo Here’s a Gibson 57 classic plus.Romeo Delight off of Women and Children First
              Last edited by pittbull; 03-12-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                https://youtu.be/mP8MopeZULo Here’s a Gibson 57 classic plus.Romeo Delight off of Women and Children First
                And?

Comment

Stalker go find something to do you have no knowledge here or interest

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                    Stalker go find something to do you have no knowledge here or interest
                    First, not a stalker...I've been a regular for 11 years and you just barely decided to come around again, so you entered MY world. You're the one lurking and trolling EVH on every forum you haven't yet been banned on (although you came close last time...a former SDUGF mod wanted to ban you SO badly)

Second, I have more knowledge than you know. Your problem is that you don't believe anyone else can have "knowledge" other than you

Third, I AM interested in this stuff. But, I remain confused as to why you have 3 threads going where you're talking about the Gibson 57+/Super 57? You've posted this video in at least 2 of them. I'm also not sure what the video has to do with "the real pickups behind Van Halen 78 album tone" when, according to yourself, they couldn't have been what he used then? I can find tons of guys with great early VH tones using pickups that weren't available at the time...but that's not the point of this thread, is it?

Comment

You still are confused and you come across like a smart ass people see that, you were on metro amp and you came across the sameway,don’t worry about me being banned stick to the topic.If your confused oh well. You leaned a lot from me but your not honest with yourself or others you use others knowledge as if you came up with it, very dishonest.
                      Last edited by pittbull; 03-12-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Back on topic....

As we all (should) know, every album has tonal differences. So I think it's smart to note which album in particular...

I wouldn't use a '57 Classic for VH1 tone... or any 1984-before tone.

There are 3 pickups which I have used in my testing which cut the mustard using a plexi-style Marshall plus true EP-3 preamp:

1) SD SH-5 Custom w 6 hole trem (provenance in print as well - VH1)
                        2) SD SH-11 Custom Custom w Floyd (for later stuff like 1984)
                        3) BK VHII w 6 hole trem (with boost in front of plexi only; not powerful enough to drive plexi itself to VH1 levels)

Out of those three, the SH-5 Custom does VH1 the best with a '68 plexi (.68uF cap on V2) circuit and no boost, plus true EP-3 preamp (supposedly how Ed ran things).

And the SH-5 seems to share most of the tonal DNA of VH2 and the next two albums... meaning, you're definitely in the ballpark grabbing a $10 beer.
                        However, IMO the '78 (formerly known as Evenly Voiced Harmonics) style was prolly VH2... you could add the BK VHII to that as well.

Of note, Ed started slipping in more and more Eventide starting with VH2 (theoretically some bit guitar parts on VH1).
                        Last edited by LLL; 03-12-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Grumptruck that’s not me playing I found that on YouTube and it caught my ear. LLL I hear you the Duncan Custom and the Dimarzio Super Distortion for VH 1 , Rockstah Mod 5(Mark A. RIP) used the Dimarzio Super Distortion on all his clips which sounded amazing he used the Motorcity blackbelt(alnico II)pickup only on the clips with his Orange tolex amp which still had a great sound.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                            Back on topic....

As we all (should) know, every album has tonal differences. So I think it's smart to note which album in particular...

I wouldn't use a '57 Classic for VH1 tone... or any 1984-before tone.

There are 3 pickups which I have used in my testing which cut the mustard using a plexi-style Marshall plus true EP-3 preamp:

1) SD SH-5 Custom w 6 hole trem (provenance in print as well - VH1)
                            2) SD SH-11 Custom Custom w Floyd (for later stuff like 1984)
                            3) BK VHII w 6 hole trem (with boost in front of plexi only; not powerful enough to drive plexi itself to VH1 levels)

Out of those three, the SH-5 Custom does VH1 the best with a '68 plexi (.68uF cap on V2) circuit and no boost, plus true EP-3 preamp (supposedly how Ed ran things).

And the SH-5 seems to share most of the tonal DNA of VH2 and the next two albums... meaning, you're definitely in the ballpark grabbing a $10 beer.
                            However, IMO the '78 (formerly known as Evenly Voiced Harmonics) style was prolly VH2... you could add the BK VHII to that as well.

Of note, Ed started slipping in more and more Eventide starting with VH2 (theoretically some bit guitar parts on VH1).
                            I’m assuming you’re referring to the ceramic magnet Custom and not the A5 version?

Comment

That’s correct,leaving for a gig have a great weekend.......

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                                I’m assuming you’re referring to the ceramic magnet Custom and not the A5 version?
                                Yep. the Custom (SH-5), not the Custom5 (SH-14 IIRC).

Comment

Working...
                                X