banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The real pickups behind Van Halen 78 album tone's and others.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The real pickups behind Van Halen 78 album tone's and others.

The best tone is on 5150!

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      I'll post those dry clips of Ed shortly... very interesting.

Comment

And yet, there's plenty of other topics here to occupy your time, but you choose to cry in this one because you incorrectly assume that those
        who enjoy talking about Ed's tone give a crap about your dislike of the subject or your weak attempt to try and control what people discuss on
        this forum.

Sounds to me like sour grapes on your behalf.
        It was just a joke, man. You are way overreacting.

Comment

Here's the actual tone pre-production, tapped of the mic (SM57) before all the bells & whistles.

Notice a faint single delay repeat (Echoplex in front of amp).

One clip is sizzling (JBL), the other is dark (Celestion).

RWTD JBL

RWTD Celestion

There's nothing spectacular about the tone here. Just a good cranked Marshall plexi sound. Ted and Don were wizards.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat_rocks_and_rolls View Post
            Many of us are always looking for the holy grail of pickups
            Years ago I went down that rabbit hole trying to find the holy grail of all pickups to achieve the early VH tone little did I realize I needed the holy grail of all fingers and I don`t have them . If you can play like Ed and nail his vibe I`d say you`re about 75% there maybe more. Check to the late Mark Abrahamian using a Super Distortion into a modded JCM 800

When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Here's Al Estrada using a EVH 5150 OD with MXR Flanger and Phase 90 . Dude has Eds playing and vibe down

Comment

The pickup on the 1st album (which was released on February 10, 1978) in the B&W strat was an SH-5 Custom (or PAF rewound hotter w/ ceramic a la SH-5 Custom).

Here's my pre-1983 SH-5 Custom in action (with backing), through a true-to-circuit EP3 preamp, then my modded-to-'68 plexi (50W) specs Marshall (into DAW etc):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97213[/ATTACH]

Ed *****ed about this SD advert (and it was pulled) in a '79 interview with Jas Obrecht.

Now, going back to the February 10, 1978 date - a lot of people claim the SD '78 (formerly known as the "Evenly Voiced Harmonics") pickup is the one.

This is incorrect, as the album was recorded August 30 – September 1977.
                Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen_(album)

...aside the fact that the 1st album tone has zero evidence of an A2 magnet; on the contrary, it reeks of ceramic sizzle.
                Hi, i mean i think you can perhaps be right however don't forget that the shark has alnico 8 magnets which tend to sound like ceramic. The songs using tremolo aren't this harsh sounding which mean it should be a weaker magnet in the frankenstrat. You can hear that i'm the one is way cleaner than running with the devil. What i heard is that when eddie went to duncan's shop with the original paf it was damaged and seymour duncan rewound it. Eddie wasn't happy because it sounded different. Then he used a dimarzio PAF as a substitute. When the floyd rose became a thing in 1979 eddie used it, PAF style pickups weren't sounding good with the floyd. He decided to change over a dimarzio super distortion and put the paf magnet in it, Then he asked seymour duncan to make him the same pickup for his frankie. the advertisement is from october 1979 which corresponds the year eddies began to use the floyd rose. moreover i'm sure seymound duncan would never sell the exact thing even in the past.

But who knows only eddie and seymour duncan know.

However i own a 78 model and a duncan custom and for i'm the one which is a vibrato bar song it sound way closer with the 78 model.

don't forget Van halen 1

all the songs using the vibrato bar = 1 pickup = the frankenstrat
                all the song non using vibrato bar (running with the devil for example) = 2 pickup ibanez super 70's. = the ibanez shark destroyer

Van halen 1 it's 2 guitars and running with the devil was played with the shark destroyer wich had alnico 8 magnets which can be close sounding to ceramic pickups.

Your sound sample of running with the devil and jamie's crying are using the same pickup. However the records were done mostly with the shark and the frankies which makes 3 humbuckers not only 1.
                Last edited by Pat_rocks_and_rolls; 04-06-2019, 04:23 PM.

Comment

The Floyd wasn't avail until 1983, late 1982 at best.
                  87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                    The Floyd wasn't avail until 1983, late 1982 at best.
                    Ed had a Floyd on the Bee guitar in 1979 then on the Frankie and Star guitar in 1980 , the Bee is pictured in post #2 . The fine tuners for the Floyd probably came out around 1982 cause on the Diver Down ‘82 tour he had a Floyd with fine tuners

Comment

Yea he got one of the first if not the first fine tuner Floyds and Brad Gillis got #3 if I remember correctly. I thought that's the version that was being referenced. I see what you guys are talking about now. Thank you
                      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat_rocks_and_rolls View Post
                        Hi, i mean i think you can perhaps be right however don't forget that the shark has alnico 8 magnets which tend to sound like ceramic. The songs using tremolo aren't this harsh sounding which mean it should be a weaker magnet in the frankenstrat. You can hear that i'm the one is way cleaner than running with the devil. What i heard is that when eddie went to duncan's shop with the original paf it was damaged and seymour duncan rewound it. Eddie wasn't happy because it sounded different. Then he used a dimarzio PAF as a substitute. When the floyd rose became a thing in 1979 eddie used it, PAF style pickups weren't sounding good with the floyd. He decided to change over a dimarzio super distortion and put the paf magnet in it, Then he asked seymour duncan to make him the same pickup for his frankie. the advertisement is from october 1979 which corresponds the year eddies began to use the floyd rose. moreover i'm sure seymound duncan would never sell the exact thing even in the past.
                        our above assertion of the Alnico 8 magnet being similar to a ceramic magnet is incorrect. While both magnets are loud and have a solid bottom end, an A8 has much fuller mids and smoother high end with the ceramic having a faster attack with more stiffness.

While I am no EVH history expert, much of what I know disagrees with the underlined portion of your post. I'm sure someone else could possibly argue with it, but I don't quite have all my ducks in a row to try and poke holes in it.

Oh, and I heard an interesting theory that you guys might like about EVH. Everybody knows the Eddie put the neck pickup in Frankie to try and throw everybody off about his magic guitar, but I've seen interesting proof that he had it as part of his guitar for a time. Photos from his show in Largo '82 show that the neck pickup is clearly wired in, and in a mess of electrical tape by the volume pot their appears to be some sort of switch.

Even if you don't have the best ears, you can listen to some of the recordings (Somebody Get Me A Doctor is a good example there's a pop, Eddie makes a funny face, and then his tone changes) what distinctly sounds like a bridge humbucker in parallel with a single coil.

I swear, everytime a thread like this pops up I find a new theory. We need to have a single cohesive thread that gets put into the vault about Eddie.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Any idea how those synth tones while we're at it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                          "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by TheViewFromVenus View Post
                            Any idea how those synth tones while we're at it?

As in "Jump"? Oberheim.

Comment

As in "Jump"? Oberheim.
                              Yeah... I don't have 3 grand...

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

When Eddie did the first interview for guitar player magazine and he talked about he didn’t like dimarzio pickups because they were to distorted that interview was done after the first album was recorded so I believe he used that pickup for Van Halen 1 and for Van Halen 2 he switched to a less output humbucker because Van Halen 1 has a lot more edge sizzle then Van Halen 2.Ed talked about taking a dimarzio pickup and putting a paf magnet( alnico 2 or?)but that was After Van Halen 1 was recorded in 1977 and released in 1978.So for Ed to say the Dimarzio was to distorted he had to use it or try it.
                                Last edited by pittbull; 01-30-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X